Sear function mod for vertical smoker

Jjsaustin

Reaction score
Street looking at the 1150 vs the 850 I ruled out the 1150 out as I just have a good spot for it. So I thought I was set on the 850, but then I saw the vertical smoker from Pit Boss PBV4PS2 and this would fit nicely in a spot on my patio. The main feature missing is the searing function that I really thought was nice on the 850 and 1150.

That got me to thinking of a possible mod to the PBV4PS2 to get the searing function I really like. It seems like I could cut slots in the diffuser plate at the bottom and that would allow for the direct flame cooking and then have a flat plate of metal to cover the slots for indirect smoking.

Has anything thought about this mod?

Any issues with this potential mod?

Is the PBV4PS2 similar quality as the 850/1150?

Just thinking out loud.....wouldn't the water pan and drip pan be in the way...? So to do a reverse sear you would have to smoke the meat, and then remove the water pan and drip pan....OR....you could just do what I do for most longer cooks.....put aluminum pans on the bottom grate.....and add water to those....but they would have to be removed to sear.

Also...the bottom grate is probably too far away from the flame to use to sear the meat....so need to adapt a lower grate somehow.

I probably possible.....but seems like just smoking on the vertical...then searing on the gas grill would be so much easier.....or just use the PB150 portable smoker that has a sear plate exposed....am Loving that baby smoker....!!

Just thinking out loud.....wouldn't the water pan and drip pan be in the way...? So to do a reverse sear you would have to smoke the meat, and then remove the water pan and drip pan....OR....you could just do what I do for most longer cooks.....put aluminum pans on the bottom grate.....and add water to those....but they would have to be removed to sear.

Also...the bottom grate is probably too far away from the flame to use to sear the meat....so need to adapt a lower grate somehow.

I probably possible.....but seems like just smoking on the vertical...then searing on the gas grill would be so much easier.....or just use the PB150 portable smoker that has a sear plate exposed....am Loving that baby smoker....!!
I agree, you start cutting slots on the PBV4PS2 which is all sealed, now when you smoke, there will be little smoke coming out the side and rear vents like it is suppose to be. Quality is there, I love my PBV4PS2.

Last edited:

Yes if I wanted to do the reverse sear I would remove the water/drip pan to get the direct cooking/searing.

Good point about the distance to the fire pot, I would have to measure that and see how that compares to the 850.

As for the other poster's comment about smoke leaking around the plate, I don't think that would happen. Just put some fireblack around the new plate to seal it off.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think a vertical would get hot enough. That's why it's a smoker and not a grill. If you want to sear your best best is a pellet grill, not a vertical smoker. I have both a grill and a vertical and the vertical never gets as hot as the grill.

I honestly don't think a vertical would get hot enough. That's why it's a smoker and not a grill. If you want to sear your best best is a pellet grill, not a vertical smoker. I have both a grill and a vertical and the vertical never gets as hot as the grill.
This is a good point...

I'm assuming that the burn pot is similar to others like the 850 and 1150. However, with a solid diffuser plate over the burn pot in the vertical smoker that likely reduces the max temperature as the heat is forced up the sides to the internal smoke vents. By the time it comes out of the vents the heat is somewhat dissipated. If there were slots in the diffuser plate, the flames would be directly exposed to the meat and likely get much hotter than 420. This would allow you to do a reverse sear for a few minutes.

Also, if you wanted it to get even hotter, could you just hold the prime button down to feed some extra pellets into the burn pot?

BTW, thanks for all the responses. I obviously do not have one of these yet and appreciate the feedback from you that have actual experience. I am looking for primary use as a smoker. I have a gas grill for grilling, but I really like the idea of having the ability to do the occasional reverse sear to finish the meat

I like my 1150 for smoking but IMHO it ain't worth a flip for searing. Luckily I didn't want/need it for that.

You might be able to do a quick pass with a propane torch. Cheifs use them sometimes but I have never seen it done on meat.:unsure:

I understand your idea but I have to say I would never agree that you should ever try this. I have a grill and the pro 4 v2 and I use them each to their strengths. The pro 4 is an amazing smoker and oven. It keeps Temps so consistently compared to the pbl1000 I have.
The grill has hot spots near the sear grate and the edge of the deflector plate. Even after doing the heat deflector mod it does not come close to the consistency of the pro 4.
However when I am doing small meals and not 6 or 8 racks of ribs the grill is much less maintenance and clean up so that's what I will use.

Maybe just use a gas grill for searing or a cast iron pan if you think the pro 4 suits you better. Many times I use the gas grill or the flat top to sear.

Latest Discussions

Back