Salmon

Ok. No one to help. Let's experiment. First stage: I have a whole salmon filled 2.25 lbs. I rubbed with a little brown sugar and salt/pepper. Placed between wax paper and cookie sheets with weight for 48 hrs. Second stage: Removed from fridge and allowed to reach room temp.

Attachments

• 20210517_104438.jpg
    20210517_104438.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 31
Go light on the salt for your brine. I've definitely over-salted mine. Shoot for 2:1 brown sugar to salt. I brine mine for less than 24 hours just straight in the fridge, put it in front of a fan for about an hour to get a pellicle, and from there it's easy!

Then make smoked salmon chowder with the extra that isn't eaten right away.

Go light on the salt for your brine. I've definitely over-salted mine. Shoot for 2:1 brown sugar to salt. I brine mine for less than 24 hours just straight in the fridge, put it in front of a fan for about an hour to get a pellicle, and from there it's easy!

Then make smoked salmon chowder with the extra that isn't eaten right away.
How long do you smoke?

About an hour at 225. Maybe less, depending on the size of the filets. Looking for internal temp of 140. If I want a sweeter smoked with a crust, I'll brush with either teriyaki glaze or brown sugar/water/honey about halfway through. Plus you can brush off the albumin (white goo) that way if there is some coming out.

Being in the Pac NW, we have no shortage of chances to smoke salmon here, and that was one of the reasons I got my Pit Boss!

I only user butter and lemon pepper on the top. I always cook it skin side down on 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until it hits 150. (We like it a little more well done/crispy). Once it's finished I take the entire skin off (it should come off real easy!).

smoked-salmon1.jpg

smoked-salmon2.jpg

did some smoke salmon brine over night in br sugar maple syrup salt and water smoked for 2 hr till 140 degrees after remove from PB it basted with honey a box of crackers and no left overs

Resurrecting this old thread on salmon. Haven’t done any yet and was going to but he salmon we got is skinless and relatively thin cut. I googled the topic and got some ideas mostly saying you gotta brine for it to be any good. That and a low smoking temp.
Input welcome.

Resurrecting this old thread on salmon. Haven’t done any yet and was going to but he salmon we got is skinless and relatively thin cut. I googled the topic and got some ideas mostly saying you gotta brine for it to be any good. That and a low smoking temp.
Input welcome.
My dad found this recipe years ago. We have added a few things over the years like maple syrup. We smoke them still in his brinkman charcoal water smoker that’s been around for 30 years or more. I have not yet done it on a pellet smoker but it’s in my things to do on it. All the steelhead that we catch in spring and fall go in that brine. We get a salmon here and there from Lake Erie. It’s the deluxe brine in the picture below.
D5D30D7A-BB14-49B1-87AF-004DF0FB5315.jpeg
here is a picture of what it ends up looking like it’s not like jerky cuz it still is moist in the center but it has that look. It’s really good. We usually do it around the holidays and it makes a good dip too to put on crackers when mixed with cream cheese.

Attachments

• C5E2591C-7A84-48AF-83EC-9EB8CE070767.jpeg
    C5E2591C-7A84-48AF-83EC-9EB8CE070767.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 27
My dad found this recipe years ago. We have added a few things over the years like maple syrup. We smoke them still in his brinkman charcoal water smoker that’s been around for 30 years or more. I have not yet done it on a pellet smoker but it’s in my things to do on it. All the steelhead that we catch in spring and fall go in that brine. We get a salmon here and there from Lake Erie. It’s the deluxe brine in the picture below.View attachment 3084here is a picture of what it ends up looking like it’s not like jerky cuz it still is moist in the center but it has that look. It’s really good. We usually do it around the holidays and it makes a good dip too to put on crackers when mixed with cream cheese.
Thx much
I’ll pass that on to my wife who does all the prep work

Latest Discussions

Back