Salmon

quackaholic

Reaction score
Smoking salmon for the first time. Any tips or instructions would be welcomed. On a pellet grill .

quackaholic

Reaction score
Ok. No one to help. Let's experiment. First stage: I have a whole salmon filled 2.25 lbs. I rubbed with a little brown sugar and salt/pepper. Placed between wax paper and cookie sheets with weight for 48 hrs. Second stage: Removed from fridge and allowed to reach room temp.

Attachments

• 20210517_104438.jpg
    20210517_104438.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 3

RyGuy671

Reaction score
Go light on the salt for your brine. I've definitely over-salted mine. Shoot for 2:1 brown sugar to salt. I brine mine for less than 24 hours just straight in the fridge, put it in front of a fan for about an hour to get a pellicle, and from there it's easy!

Then make smoked salmon chowder with the extra that isn't eaten right away.

quackaholic

Reaction score
Go light on the salt for your brine. I've definitely over-salted mine. Shoot for 2:1 brown sugar to salt. I brine mine for less than 24 hours just straight in the fridge, put it in front of a fan for about an hour to get a pellicle, and from there it's easy!

Then make smoked salmon chowder with the extra that isn't eaten right away.
How long do you smoke?

RyGuy671

Reaction score
About an hour at 225. Maybe less, depending on the size of the filets. Looking for internal temp of 140. If I want a sweeter smoked with a crust, I'll brush with either teriyaki glaze or brown sugar/water/honey about halfway through. Plus you can brush off the albumin (white goo) that way if there is some coming out.

Being in the Pac NW, we have no shortage of chances to smoke salmon here, and that was one of the reasons I got my Pit Boss!

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only user butter and lemon pepper on the top. I always cook it skin side down on 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until it hits 150. (We like it a little more well done/crispy). Once it's finished I take the entire skin off (it should come off real easy!).

smoked-salmon1.jpg

smoked-salmon2.jpg

mixed up

Reaction score
did some smoke salmon brine over night in br sugar maple syrup salt and water smoked for 2 hr till 140 degrees after remove from PB it basted with honey a box of crackers and no left overs

Latest Discussions