Ruined Brisket

airborne22

Reaction score
Ok, so I have smoked 3 briskets. They all seem to cook WAY TOO FAST. I set the tmep to 225 or 200 and they reach 165ish in ~2hours. What am I doing wrong? The are getting VERY dry and the bark is not right, its burnt.

HELP!

Ok, approaching this as a scientist, there are a few questions that may help get your answer (because that seems way fast!):

1. What model do you have? (ahh, I see this is in the KC Combo section...)
2. Do you have another independent thermometer measuring what the inside of the smoker is at? What does the display show on the smoker itself?
3. How big is the brisket?
4. Does everything you cook go that fast?

Start there.

Last edited:
did my first brisket in PB this past weekend 8lb started at 3 am at 225 I got up at 8am the internal said 158 so backed down temp to 200 monitored temp till it got to 174 wrap in foil continued cooking till 200 a total cook time of 14 hr and was very good and tender so I would say don't go by what the net say about cooking something use common knowledge of smoking low and slow and you may get good results all meats are not the same

Ok, so I have smoked 3 briskets. They all seem to cook WAY TOO FAST. I set the tmep to 225 or 200 and they reach 165ish in ~2hours. What am I doing wrong? The are getting VERY dry and the bark is not right, its burnt.

HELP!
I use an iweber thermometer. Fairly cheap to measure the internal temp of my briskets. This would be your best bet to get the brisket at about 165 and then wrap to about 202/205. I wouldn’t use just time or your pit boss outer temp gauge. Use the probes that came with the pit. You should have better luck. And using choice or prime brisket is preferable also. A cheap cut of meat tends to go wrong fast

Latest Discussions

Back