rancher blow up

Jug

Reaction score
I have seen some post and videos of these blow ups. it happened to me and dont know why. can anyone explain it to me. please help.

You had a flame out and then when it came back on you had the lid closed. Basically the auger keeps feeding pellets because the temp is too low because of flameout. With the lid closed it will explode so it is best to have it open until the smoke clears. Then expect temps to hit 500 when all those pellets start to burn. Also keep the P setting at 4. Anything else you're just asking for problems.

was warming up when it happened. got real warm due to the control being bad and auger did not stop. next day I plugged it in and auger started with switch off. new control coming after I called for help. thanks Mike. what is p setting? wondering if smoking over night will ever happen again!!!!!

A "P" setting is a pause setting on a pellet grill, all of them do not have them. I assume since you didn't see it yours doesn't have it. What's your model number?

Mike, model is pb700r1 got it on 9/2/18 but who knows how long it was in the store. maybe the new control will have the p setting. do you think we should gamble on an over night smoke again?

There is the possibility of pellets not feeding. What I mean by that is the pellets "slide" down the chute into the auger. Sometimes they don't fall unless you stir them around with a stick or something. I wouldnt attempt anything overnight for they reason... When the pellets don't slide down like they should you can end up with a flame out then it will keep feeding pellets. Eventually they will slide down and into the auger but it will keep feeding then cause a huge pile up which leads to boom!

I have never done an overnight cook but I have started at 3am many times.

Mike I still don't get it. There must be a build up of gas but if pellets are not burning where is it coming from? Just the glow from the igniter don't seem likely. Must be a spark from something. Thanks for all your got info here.

Really I have no idea. My advice is to see if you can replicate the problem during the day. Start a long cook at 6am and check on the grill every 15 min or so to see what it does (and look in the hopper to see if pellets are not sliding down). Also open the smoke stack or take it off, mainly it is there to keep rain out. I don't know if they can snuff out the flame being all the way down or not. On my vertical I leave it half way all the time.

I don't see how any gases could be in there, only smoke.

No, when there is a lot of smoke and then the excess pellets finally light oxygen causes it to pop very loud. If It flames out you need to open the door or good and let the white smoke out while it re-ignites.

was warming up when it happened. got real warm due to the control being bad and auger did not stop. next day I plugged it in and auger started with switch off. new control coming after I called for help. thanks Mike. what is p setting? wondering if smoking over night will ever happen again!!!!!
new control put on yesterday 9/15/20. seems ok but temps are a little off. can live with that. did a test to all the temps up to 350. seems ok but after reading all the things you guys are saying we are keeping fingers crossed.

I see they must not want the old control back. But why ? My old place of employment we had a guy that repaired all the n c boards with care and they worked as needed. Are we losing all the craft people? Maybe China works cheaper but we do it the right way. Maybe!!!

You had a flame out and then when it came back on you had the lid closed. Basically the auger keeps feeding pellets because the temp is too low because of flameout. With the lid closed it will explode so it is best to have it open until the smoke clears. Then expect temps to hit 500 when all those pellets start to burn. Also keep the P setting at 4. Anything else you're just asking for problems.
This just happened to me. I stepped inside the house for a moment and heard the loud bang, scared the heck out of me. Didn’t know what it was exactly but it started to smoke like crazy and stunk like burning plastic along with the pellet smell. I unplugged it. This was my first time smoking a turkey. Next time I’ll know what NOT to do if I have a flameout.?

I posted this in another thread before but will again if it helps anyone. Always leave the hood open to avoid this:

If you have a flame out and then it catches fire again this will happen. I had a flame out Saturday on my grill but I was checking on it at the time. Was down to 95 degrees so I opened the lid and left it there and it eventually re-iginited from the smoldering pellets.

Latest Discussions

Back