Prospective Pro Series 1150 - PID Replacement

TxTchRR

Reaction score
Debating picking up an 1150, but a little hesitant due to the controller issues noted and had a few questions. Does anyone know if they've started shipping the grills with the newer controller yet, or do you still have to replace it once you buy it? And for those that have received the updated controller, are the issues actually fixed?

I'm not in a huge rush, would rather wait a month and buy then if that ups my chances of getting the updated controller versus having to tear it apart myself. Thanks for the help.

Wanted to update this, heard back from Pitboss support and the grills in stores do NOT have updated controllers yet, but that they were working on it. Asked if they have a timeline for when that will be and haven't heard back yet. Leaves me up in the air as to what to do, Camp Chefs are basically out of stock absolutely everywhere at the moment so I may just have to buy the Pitboss and install the new controller.

Controller install takes about 10 minutes and is simple. They're sending new ones now so when I got home from Lowe's I just sent them an email and they sent me one. 3 days later it was here. I've only had a couple of cooks on the new controller. It's doing a much better job of holding temp (and the 10 degree thing is nice) but it's slow getting above 350. JJ's post here https://www.pitbossforum.com/threads/please-post-your-pb-1150-new-firmwate-update-results.850/page-3 helps a little so I'm going to keep on cooking for a bit. Lowe's has a big window for returns right now so I'm good with some experimentation. Overall it seems like a nice smoker that could use a little more engineering (heat deflector, etc) and a better controller configuration but since I can hit a button to turn the auger I'm good with a little manual adjustment to get to the higher end. It's only to hit temp, it holds it fine so no big deal to me.

Controller install takes about 10 minutes and is simple. They're sending new ones now so when I got home from Lowe's I just sent them an email and they sent me one. 3 days later it was here. I've only had a couple of cooks on the new controller. It's doing a much better job of holding temp (and the 10 degree thing is nice) but it's slow getting above 350. JJ's post here https://www.pitbossforum.com/threads/please-post-your-pb-1150-new-firmwate-update-results.850/page-3 helps a little so I'm going to keep on cooking for a bit. Lowe's has a big window for returns right now so I'm good with some experimentation. Overall it seems like a nice smoker that could use a little more engineering (heat deflector, etc) and a better controller configuration but since I can hit a button to turn the auger I'm good with a little manual adjustment to get to the higher end. It's only to hit temp, it holds it fine so no big deal to me.
Thanks for that, think I'll pull the trigger. Really seems to be about the best bang for your buck, just has a few hiccups.

I have opened a support case with then regarding the controller. I could not locate a phone number or email address for support on their web page. Some here have stated they email, some state they call. If anyone has contact information for them, I would appreciate it. I'd love to get the new controller on its way. Any assist would be appreciated.
I have an 1150PS2, purchased 4/30/21

I have opened a support case with then regarding the controller. I could not locate a phone number or email address for support on their web page. Some here have stated they email, some state they call. If anyone has contact information for them, I would appreciate it. I'd love to get the new controller on its way. Any assist would be appreciated.
Search around on here, in one of the threads they posted up the number. I had them email me back after about 36 hours on a question.

Update this when you hear from them, if you would. Someone posted last week that they were told they weren't replacing controllers anymore. I'm waiting to see if that's true before buying.

Here is the number I called. It was a 5 day turn around to get mine. But not sure if they are sending them out anymore as TxTchRR said in his reply. But id give them a call and give it a shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-234111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-234111_Chrome.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 110
Does anyone have confirmation on whether Pit Boss stopped sending new controllers? I'm also interested in picking one up but might end up going with a different grill if they won't replace it.

I had opened cases with them for the controller and for my hopper smoking like crazy. I have since sent an email to [email protected] to outline my issues and hopefully get some answers. I will leave a comment in this thread if I get any resolution.

Well, I received this response to my inquiry:

Hi ,
Thank you for reaching out to us at Pit Boss!
We can send you an updated control board, all we'll need is a non-P.O. Box address added onto the account. Once that is complete, you can reply to the email or request a callback at 877-303-3134. We are open everyday at 6am PST and have quicker response times the earlier the call.
Have a good week and stay safe!

If you would like to respond to this case, please reply to this email.

It looks like they are sending upgraded control boards out. Hope this helps...
I added my mailing address to my account and we will see...
I have asked if this corrects the long wait (>1.5hr) for high temp as well as the set point increments. Still waiting on an answer to that at this time.

Well, I received this response to my inquiry:

Hi ,
Thank you for reaching out to us at Pit Boss!
We can send you an updated control board, all we'll need is a non-P.O. Box address added onto the account. Once that is complete, you can reply to the email or request a callback at 877-303-3134. We are open everyday at 6am PST and have quicker response times the earlier the call.
Have a good week and stay safe!

It looks like they are sending upgraded control boards out. Hope this helps...
I added my mailing address to my account and we will see...
I have asked if this corrects the long wait (>1.5hr) for high temp as well as the set point increments. Still waiting on an answer to that at this time.
Great news. Thanks for updating on that.

Latest correspondance from Pit Boss today:

Good Afternoon,

I have placed the order for your new control board. We are currently waiting on another shipment to come in so it may be 4-6 weeks until the part gets out to you. I have attached instructions on how to install the board to the email.

Latest correspondance from Pit Boss today:

Good Afternoon,

I have placed the order for your new control board. We are currently waiting on another shipment to come in so it may be 4-6 weeks until the part gets out to you. I have attached instructions on how to install the board to the email.

Second report of that I've seen so far on here. Disappointing, probably won't buy until they're able to restock. I'm afraid they're running into the same chip shortage that most everyone is.

I got the same email. I waited to buy my 1150 in hopes the bad controllers were off the market and mine would come with the correct controller. It did not. Disappointing to say the least.

Latest Discussions

Back