Proper Startup of Vertical Pellet Smoker

jcoleman66

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question, but I am new to pellet smokers and want to understand better.

When starting the smoker the instructions state: Set dial to 350 and let preheat for 15 to 20 minutes. Does it mean get to 350 and let run for 15 to 20 or just set and run for 15 to 20. If the former it could take a bit to get back to smoking temp.

What is the temp when set to smoke? Assuming below 150, but was curious.

Thanks!

Start it off with the door open on Smoke setting. When you start to see smoke wait for the "flame" sound. The white smoke should disappear. Turn it up to 200 then close and seal the door. When it hits 200 crank it to 250. Then to 300 and finally 350. I let mine run for about 30 minutes at 350 but 15-20 minutes is probably fine. So yeah, start timing it when it hits 350.

The smoke setting is usually around 150, I have used it a time or two but normally use 175-200 for slow cooks.

Start it off with the door open on Smoke setting. When you start to see smoke wait for the "flame" sound. The white smoke should disappear. Turn it up to 200 then close and seal the door. When it hits 200 crank it to 250. Then to 300 and finally 350. I let mine run for about 30 minutes at 350 but 15-20 minutes is probably fine. So yeah, start timing it when it hits 350.

The smoke setting is usually around 150, I have used it a time or two but normally use 175-200 for slow cooks.
Thank you sir!! How long typically does it take it to drop from say 350 to 225 for smokin'. I know a lot of factors are involved. Do you open door to let the heat out? I know these are stupid questions, just want to figure how things are done.

Yeah, you can do that. Open it, let it go down to 225, close the door when it hits 225 and let it settle down.

I used that system to do my initial burn off, now that I have used the smoker several times I start it on smoke with the door open after the flame starts...about 5 min, close the door and I set it at 175 for my slow smoking cook. The smoke will come and go throughout your cook as it adds pellets. So far everything I have done has come out very good with plenty of smoke flavor!

Latest Discussions

Back