Problem with my first cook. Help?

jr7290

Reaction score
Just purchased my first smoker (Pro 850) and did my first cook yesterday. I ended up smoking a pork tenderloin which did eventually turn out great!

I noticed that the grill had a near impossible time staying at 225 and it took over an hour to get there. Not sure if I did something wrong?

I’ve read some others complain about having difficulty at the lower temps and I’m hoping this is not the same problem that is often discussed with the 1150.

open to suggestions.

From what I understand it takes some time for the grill to "learn" and temps will get better after several cooks (I have a completely different controller on mine). Just give it time or just fire it up each day even if you aren't cooking and let it run for a while. yeah, you'll be using up pellets but it might be able to get to high temps faster the next time you cook. Someone else with the 1150 can also chime and and give comments since I am not all that familiar with that model.

what was outside temp? was it windy? what pellets?

Are you relying on the built in thermometer for internal grate temp?

IMO it is always good to have a second opinion thermometer. I started off with a simple and cheap two probe model, upgraded to a Thermoworks Smoke when the cheap one died, and again upgraded and then again to a 4 probe model smoke X.

The cost of a second thermometer will pay for itself if it helps avoid one bad cook.

what was outside temp? was it windy? what pellets?

Are you relying on the built in thermometer for internal grate temp?

IMO it is always good to have a second opinion thermometer. I started off with a simple and cheap two probe model, upgraded to a Thermoworks Smoke when the cheap one died, and again upgraded and then again to a 4 probe model smoke X.

The cost of a second thermometer will pay for itself if it helps avoid one bad cook.
I was using competition blend and yea it was rainy and windy. Should have said that in the first place. Not an ideal day for smoking.
Do you often find the temp on the PID ends up being lower than actual with the probes?

On my Pb 820, the temp display on the PB reads lower than the grate temps measured with my thermoworks smoke or smoke X4 probes.

I trust my thermoworks thermometers...

I think there may be some variance from grill to grill and probe to probe so my suggestion is to measure yours with another thermometer.

In this cook I have a probe on the left, one on the right and the racks raised with a griddle on the main grates as a heat shield.

I had the grill on P6, which on mine is a time based setting.

PB temp said 220, but my temp alarm on my thermoworks smoke went off at 240. And I think it was over 250 when I walked over to check on it. Anyway, I had to open the lid and let some heat out, and I dialed the temp down to P7, the lowest setting.

Yeah, it was a hot day, over 100 degrees in the shad so it was hard to keep temps down but my point is grate temp measured 250F but the PB temp showed 220F... Had I stayed with the PB temp it would have overcooked the meat.

20210725_180526.jpg

Last edited:
From what I understand it takes some time for the grill to "learn" and temps will get better after several cooks (I have a completely different controller on mine). Just give it time or just fire it up each day even if you aren't cooking and let it run for a while. yeah, you'll be using up pellets but it might be able to get to high temps faster the next time you cook. Someone else with the 1150 can also chime and and give comments since I am not all that familiar with that model.
I’ve noticed on the Brunswick it’s working a lot better keeping temperature etc. after a few cooks

My controller probe is off by 30-50F depending on set temp compared to the 2nd PB probe and add on probes. As suggested it is better to use a separate probe to know how off it is and adjust and keep a record of the offset temp.

Just purchased my first smoker (Pro 850) and did my first cook yesterday. I ended up smoking a pork tenderloin which did eventually turn out great!

I noticed that the grill had a near impossible time staying at 225 and it took over an hour to get there. Not sure if I did something wrong?

I’ve read some others complain about having difficulty at the lower temps and I’m hoping this is not the same problem that is often discussed with the 1150.

open to suggestions.
I have a PB Pro 850, and temps stay pretty consistent +/- 10 degrees or so between set temp, digital temp, and analog temp when it’s warm outside & not too windy. Regarding getting up to desired temp faster, after I go through the PB startup process, I heat it up to 350 or so to clean off the grates, then turn it down to desired temp (smoke or 225) and let it cool to temp before putting meat on. Good luck with your smoking!

On my Pb 820, the temp display on the PB reads lower than the grate temps measured with my thermoworks smoke or smoke X4 probes.

I trust my thermoworks thermometers...

I think there may be some variance from grill to grill and probe to probe so my suggestion is to measure yours with another thermometer.
Couldn't agree more. I did the same thing. Started out with dual probe Thermoworks, then went to Smoke X4. I don't rely on the PID at all. I'm about 6 or 8 months into this 1150ps2, and I still wish I had my PB850 back...

Latest Discussions

Back