Problem of frequent flameouts

Glen K

Reaction score
My Pit Boss frequently experiences flameouts during the cooking process. It may happen at any time during the cook, whether during the process of coming up to temperature or even after it has been at 225º F. for hours.

It is very disconcerting to walk out to check on the smoker and find that the blower is operating but the temperature has fallen to 100º F. After unloading all the meat off the grates and removing the grates and flame cover, the firebox is overflowing with pellets and the auger is still turning.

This usually happens at least once during each use.

Glen

I second this complaint. It is entirely uncertain to me whether the flame will stay bitter lit. Kinda makes it hard to use, tbh.

Once it's lit it should stay. Watch cheap pellets. All the auger system is on timing, not how hot or if the pellets are staying lit.

Right, it should. That's why it's frustrating and confusing as to why it's going out after it's lit.

You might have to set by it and listen for when the auger starts transport. When it starts, open up and see if there's fire in the pot. I know a too high P setting, if you have one, will wait too long before starting feed. My new whiskey still doesn't have a P but wish it did. My old 700FB does and works great.
P is for length of time the auger is on. The temp drops, auger is switched on, and P mode is in place. Wrong P and it feeds too long, high temp swing. Too low and 'could' go out before it calls again for pellets.
And I don't know why they switched controllers, but I bet these are cheaper than the P styles.

My Pit Boss frequently experiences flameouts during the cooking process. It may happen at any time during the cook, whether during the process of coming up to temperature or even after it has been at 225º F. for hours.

It is very disconcerting to walk out to check on the smoker and find that the blower is operating but the temperature has fallen to 100º F. After unloading all the meat off the grates and removing the grates and flame cover, the firebox is overflowing with pellets and the auger is still turning.

This usually happens at least once during each use.

Glen
I have used my Pit Boss three times. I have smoked a packer brisket, pork butt and a couple racks of baby backs. Two of the three sessions I have experienced a flame out. It appears to happen around the 4th hour of operation with the temperature set at 225. The first time occurred when I was smoking the butt. Checked the grill, blower was running and temperature was dropping. I turned the power off and restarted the grill ..... BEWARE once the pellets reignited I thought about calling the fire department. Grill flamed up and temperature went through the roof. This weekend I was cooking a brisket and the flame out occurred about the same time. I removed the meat and finished it off in the oven.
I spoke with technical support and told if this problem occurs I should shut down the grill, remove the meat, break down the grill and clean it out prior to restart ..... seriously???! There should be a fix to this issue ..... anyone have any additional info?

I have used my Pit Boss three times. I have smoked a packer brisket, pork butt and a couple racks of baby backs. Two of the three sessions I have experienced a flame out. It appears to happen around the 4th hour of operation with the temperature set at 225. The first time occurred when I was smoking the butt. Checked the grill, blower was running and temperature was dropping. I turned the power off and restarted the grill ..... BEWARE once the pellets reignited I thought about calling the fire department. Grill flamed up and temperature went through the roof. This weekend I was cooking a brisket and the flame out occurred about the same time. I removed the meat and finished it off in the oven.
I spoke with technical support and told if this problem occurs I should shut down the grill, remove the meat, break down the grill and clean it out prior to restart ..... seriously???! There should be a fix to this issue ..... anyone have any additional info?

What model of control panel do you have? My 3yr old FB700 has the same as the Traeger, with P setting. Never a problem. However, the new style, without the P setting is apparently a problem. To all who post, it would be good to post what style of controller you have. The model of smoker won't tell, as the style of controller depends on model year, not style.

As for support help from PB, virtually non-existent if you look at forums around the web. Numerous complaints and apparently a fly by seat of their pants support. I like the product, but might as well not have a support number.

This week I reset the P setting from the factory default P4 to P3. The smoker worked perfect .... no flame out. Perhaps shortening to auger off time from 115 seconds to 100 seconds helped keep a flame in the fire pot??? Will keep updating this thread.

I have only had 2 flame outs on my Pit Boss Pellet Grill. The first time was a power surge that cut the power off. We were in the backyard and did not realize it had gone out. When I went to check on the grill I noticed the temp less than 100 and could not figure out what was wrong. I simply turned it off then back on and it started up. It wasn't until we went inside that we saw all of the clocks flashing and realized the power had gone out.

The second time I had a flame out was when I set the "P" setting to 7. This time I was sitting near it reading a book and noticed the temp falling when I had it on the smoke setting. I turned it off then back on again and put the setting back to 4 (or it may have defaulted back to 4).

So to get to the whole point of this, I called PB support and they asked about the humidity where I live. I said I lived in Florida and that the humidity was probably 80% as it is always hot here. They said that because of the humidity that the "P" setting was set too high and it caused it to go out. I have never messed with the "P" setting since and have never had another flame out.

My other PB is the Copperhead Series 3 and this one does not have a "P" setting. I don't think any of the vertical smokers have a "P" setting but the grills still do (except the new KC Combo and Lockhart, they have that awesome control panel).

What is the humidity where you live? How do you store your pellets? Sometimes they will absorb some moisture. I keep mine in plastic buckets with the lid tightly closed. Or if I have a big bag I squeeze all the air out and then close the bag with a clothes pin to keep any moisture out.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue with my Pro 1100. It's just over a year old and started flame out within 7 months. It has flamed out 4 times. I live in KY and can have high humidity but the flame outs happened even in the fall with cool temps. Like I read above, it happens no sooner than 3 hours into the cook. No response from Pit Boss support.

So I found out what's causing my flame outs. I did an overnight cook and when I checked it the next morning, the grill was at zero degrees and had to throw the meat out. I looked in the hopper and there were plenty of pellets but a void had formed over the auger, so no pellets were feeding in. My conclusion is, you can't cook unless you stay with it and keep spreading the pellets out. Not good

Well that sucks. I guess PB won’t do anything to remedy the problem until people just stop buying their product ??‍♂️! I’m probably going to sell mine and try another brand and I know I’ll probably have to spend a little more but I can’t deal with an unreliable product. I’ll do a whole lot more research this time.

So I found out what's causing my flame outs. I did an overnight cook and when I checked it the next morning, the grill was at zero degrees and had to throw the meat out. I looked in the hopper and there were plenty of pellets but a void had formed over the auger, so no pellets were feeding in. My conclusion is, you can't cook unless you stay with it and keep spreading the pellets out. Not good

to me it is Pit Boss hopper design as my Yoder the pellets do not stop they continue to feed to the auger you do not have to stir them or move them over to the auger. PB hoppers especially the Pro Series the hopper channel is not steep enough it is too wide. They needed to make the hopper taller with more of a steeper angle inside the box that allows the pellets to fall to the auger.

GMG and Traeger had that issue as well, but they fixed it.

I have flameouts all the time. A pain when meat is already on. It’s not a user friendly grill clean. Wish the pellet cup was removable from bottom.

to me it is Pit Boss hopper design as my Yoder the pellets do not stop they continue to feed to the auger you do not have to stir them or move them over to the auger. PB hoppers especially the Pro Series the hopper channel is not steep enough it is too wide. They needed to make the hopper taller with more of a steeper angle inside the box that allows the pellets to fall to the auger.

GMG and Traeger had that issue as well, but they fixed it.
My KC Combo hopper is the same. They should have made it funnel into the auger.

Back