Problem of frequent flameouts

I agree. Needs to be steeper. If I do long smokes I have to set a reminder to stir the pellets

I am really suprised then I am not surprised that PB did not change the hopper on the Platinum series. This issue has been going on for a long time and it is PB biggest complaints from customers.

I just used my xl for the 2nd time, 1st ribs today butt. 4 hr flameout both times. Pellets continue to feed, cup full and overflowing so I dont believe that ismy issue

I have a 456D.
Cleaned it, every time.
Trager pellets.
225f setting it flames out at the three hour mark every time. Look in burn pot it’s full, Hopper is fine. I’m at my wits end.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

I have used my Pit Boss three times. I have smoked a packer brisket, pork butt and a couple racks of baby backs. Two of the three sessions I have experienced a flame out. It appears to happen around the 4th hour of operation with the temperature set at 225. The first time occurred when I was smoking the butt. Checked the grill, blower was running and temperature was dropping. I turned the power off and restarted the grill ..... BEWARE once the pellets reignited I thought about calling the fire department. Grill flamed up and temperature went through the roof. This weekend I was cooking a brisket and the flame out occurred about the same time. I removed the meat and finished it off in the oven.
I spoke with technical support and told if this problem occurs I should shut down the grill, remove the meat, break down the grill and clean it out prior to restart ..... seriously???! There should be a fix to this issue ..... anyone have any additional info?
I did a 14 hr brisket cook on my 1150 and had two flame outs with the firepot overflowing once the huge fireball the other I caught early and had massive smoke. The 1150 has a quick drop out the bottom firepot about 4 to 5 hrs. I'm thinking ash buildup. So long cooks I'm just going to clean it out every 4 hrs. Or mod the fire pot with a coarse screen in the bottom

A agree with the fire cup/ash cup should be removable form the bottom. That would really make emptying to check a cold ignitor or flame out easier.

I did a 14 hr brisket cook on my 1150 and had two flame outs with the firepot overflowing once the huge fireball the other I caught early and had massive smoke. The 1150 has a quick drop out the bottom firepot about 4 to 5 hrs. I'm thinking ash buildup. So long cooks I'm just going to clean it out every 4 hrs. Or mod the fire pot with a coarse screen in the bottom
Not a fix but a temporary solution: take a flat piece of steel that will fit between the grates to tap the auger tunnel occasionally at the firepot end to shake out the ash. Also, make sure your igniter is at least 3/8 inches into the firepot. Check igniter connections, might be intermittent.

I have the 1600, it has the same ash clean out. Ive done a 17 hour brisket cook and never had to empty it, never had a flame out in a year and a half. I'm not bragging, the only reason I say that is I wonder what the difference is. There has to be a reason why some people have issues and others don't. Could be luck I guess. Maybe type of pellets, maybe the controller, does anyone have any other thoughts?
Maybe you're just better than the rest of us folks...

So I found out what's causing my flame outs. I did an overnight cook and when I checked it the next morning, the grill was at zero degrees and had to throw the meat out. I looked in the hopper and there were plenty of pellets but a void had formed over the auger, so no pellets were feeding in. My conclusion is, you can't cook unless you stay with it and keep spreading the pellets out. Not good
True. I usually find myself stirring the hopper to avoid the void in the center on my Lexington. I don't have a P setting nor experienced a flame out and have done dozens of cooks.

Latest Discussions

Back