Pro Series, Smoke Density Control

MKinHB

Staff member
Reaction score
does anyone know about the Smoke Density Control on these new units the PB850PS2 and PB1150PS2?

Attachments

• 20201122_155537.jpg
    20201122_155537.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 204
I believe the smoke density control is actually just the adjustable vent. The Engineer in me would say: Density goes up with pressure and venting less by screwing down the vent would increase the pressure inside the smoker which would increase the density....Seems a stretch to call that smoke density however..............

I believe the smoke density control is actually just the adjustable vent. The Engineer in me would say: Density goes up with pressure and venting less by screwing down the vent would increase the pressure inside the smoker which would increase the density....Seems a stretch to call that smoke density however..............
yes, a stretch, you would thing there was a controller for this the way it's advertised.
There is even an Icon on the box.
My grill won't run at 250* set it to 250* and you get 210* - 220*.
set it to 300* and you get 320*
But if I set it to S for smoke it goes to 245* - 250*
It's the same as the last two controllers, all over the place.

I have the PB4 and have my vent screwed all the way down and have not had any issues making any temps and have plenty of smoke

Anyone ever taken the vent off and covered with foil or something to try an increase the smoke by holding more back pressure? would be easy to sit a metal plate and leave cracked a bit for venting. thoughts???

I don't think the chiminy has much affect on smoke on the PB 4 model down all the way or up a few terns it don't seem to make an change

I'd worry about snuffing out the fire with not enough O2. Or maybe a ERRH code.
I used a pipe cap just a shade smaller than the chimney diameter (⅛" gap around circumference) under my chimney cap on my 1150ps2. Drilled a hole just big enough to run the chimney stud through it. Didn't seem to change much. Didn't cause any flame outs or overflow of pellets either...

I don't think the chiminy has much affect on smoke on the PB 4 model down all the way or up a few terns it don't seem to make an change
I don't get much difference in smoke....but I can get a 15-20 deg difference on the upper two grates from fully closed to fully open.

I screw it down lower at lower temps....and open up at higher temps.....seems to work out great for me.

Anyone ever taken the vent off and covered with foil or something to try an increase the smoke by holding more back pressure? would be easy to sit a metal plate and leave cracked a bit for venting. thoughts???
I'm thinking that's pretty risky and that you would get dirty smoke or at least increase your chances drastically of getting it which means you will ruin your meat!

I'm kind of new to this pellet smoker thing but that makes sense. When we run the wood burner we leave the chimney wide open to move a lot of air and in turn that keeps the smoke clean. When the chimney is choked down the smoke does not exit as fast and becomes what we call dirty smoke. The thing that is different that I have noticed is that there is an induction fan blowing fresh air into the fire pot. I noticed that the chimney cannot be closed down all the way or even close. I believe that is because it will keep just the right amount of smoke flowing out to keep the smoke clean. Your analogy definitely makes sense though. Basically it is just some big words that they put on there it looks like.

Latest Discussions

Back