Pro series 820 blowing fuses

417savannah

Reaction score
Not even 3 months old.. my fuse was blown when I removed it. Went to Lowes got a replacement..and as soon as you put a new one in..And plug it in, it blows again. Any suggestions

It’s something on the high voltage side (fan, auger or igniter) more than likely igniter. If you have the technical ability, make sure the smoker is unplugged. Then, using a multimeter, check both wires on the fan, auger & igniter to ground with meter set on the continuity setting. If it beeps or goes to 0, you’ve just found your direct short. Also, you can ohm out igniter. If you get an ohm reading (set meter to 200 k ohm if not auto ranging) then the igniter is probably good, if it shows OL, it is bad.
If this happens the second you plug the smoker in, it could be a bad control as well. Fan, auger or igniter should only blow fuse (if bad) if you had it calling, not when you just plug it in.
Good luck!

you have a bad igniter as this is common with Pit Boss when igniters go bad.

I have the same problem, surprised it wouldn't come on, pulled control, fuse blown, changed it, plug it in... pop. I am very newb but leaning towards control panel as grill doesn't make it to power-up, simply pops when plugged in. How would I check the control panel or is it what is left if other 3 pass their test?

Did you solve your problem 417savannah? How?
Thanks.

I have the same problem, surprised it wouldn't come on, pulled control, fuse blown, changed it, plug it in... pop. I am very newb but leaning towards control panel as grill doesn't make it to power-up, simply pops when plugged in. How would I check the control panel or is it what is left if other 3 pass their test?

Did you solve your problem 417savannah? How?
Thanks.
I’m having the same problem! Gone through 3 fuses and they blow as soon as they are inserted. Need help!

I’m having the same problem! Gone through 3 fuses and they blow as soon as they are inserted. Need help!
I'd call customer support 877 303 3134 option 2. They'll walk you through to diagnose where your direct short to ground is. They might have you disconnect the ignitor and try a startup, if it doesn't blow then the ignitor is bad, and vice versa for other parts.

Latest Discussions

Back