Pro Series 2 V4 - PBV4PS2 auger doesn't stop

Not sure if I can attach a video, but if so look at all the smoke swirling inside the smoker from just one tube!

Attachments

• IMG_7268.MOV
    18.4 MB
And the finished Smokey product!

Attachments

• 1355F3E0-A70A-41ED-8D1E-1E67A37F9D97.jpeg
    1355F3E0-A70A-41ED-8D1E-1E67A37F9D97.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 22
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Pro Series 2 V4 - PBV4PS2 from Lowe's. Got it put together and started up the burn off. Temp was climbing nicely to the 350 I set and just kept on going. Got up to 450 and I set the temp to 150 to see if it would go down. Got to 500 and I held the power button down until it turned off and went into it's cool down mode. Got to 585 and I pulled the plug. Oh, and I had a separate thermometer in the soker as well so those temps were mirrored there. Call up Pit Boss and it looks like the controller has a problem and the auger is feeding pellets continuously. They want to send a new controller but won't have them in stick until the end of May. Option two is take it back for another one. Was just wondering if anyone here knows of anything I can check quick before I load this up in the truck and take it back. Not looking forward to that really, I don't think I was ready for the weight of this thing.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Jay.
I’m on the verge of taking mine back and demanding a refund, temperature is always 10 degrees out, auger feed doesn’t work well and often runs dry even though the hopper is 3/4 full such a piss poor design. High maintenance compared to an offset. Overall very disappointed.

I’m on the verge of taking mine back and demanding a refund, temperature is always 10 degrees out, auger feed doesn’t work well and often runs dry even though the hopper is 3/4 full such a piss poor design. High maintenance compared to an offset. Overall very disappointed.
I totally agree with you on the controller....it is horrible. That is why I swapped mine out for a spare Rec Tec that I had....and now the temperature control is perfect. It stays right on temperature the entire cook and heats up to 350 degrees in 18 mins. If you could install a better controller, I believe you might change your mind. If you can't, then maybe take it back and wait till the version 2 controllers start showing up at Lowe's....they are supposed to be much better.

But I disagree with you on everything else....this is the best mechanically built smoker for under $400 on the market. The ash clean out is AMAZING....so easy...! You have the chute to change out pellets.....the grease cup removal. This weekend I threw all my grates and the heat shield in the dish washer and they came out perfectly clean....is so nice. I use L.A. Totally Awesome for the window after each cook and it shines clear.

I have never run dry in the auger.....not sure what is causing that......maybe the pellets...? I screen all my pellets before using them to remove all that dust and small bits....so that might be the reason I have not had any issues.

1618317516966.png

1618317578569.png
1618317550060.png

I totally agree with you on the controller....it is horrible. That is why I swapped mine out for a spare Rec Tec that I had....and now the temperature control is perfect. It stays right on temperature the entire cook and heats up to 350 degrees in 18 mins. If you could install a better controller, I believe you might change your mind. If you can't, then maybe take it back and wait till the version 2 controllers start showing up at Lowe's....they are supposed to be much better.

But I disagree with you on everything else....this is the best mechanically built smoker for under $400 on the market. The ash clean out is AMAZING....so easy...! You have the chute to change out pellets.....the grease cup removal. This weekend I threw all my grates and the heat shield in the dish washer and they came out perfectly clean....is so nice. I use L.A. Totally Awesome for the window after each cook and it shines clear.

I have never run dry in the auger.....not sure what is causing that......maybe the pellets...? I screen all my pellets before using them to remove all that dust and small bits....so that might be the reason I have not had any issues.

View attachment 1038

View attachment 1040 View attachment 1039

Pick up from Lowe in July.. works perfect.

Back