Pro Series 2 V4 - PBV4PS2 auger doesn't stop

BigDaddyJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Pro Series 2 V4 - PBV4PS2 from Lowe's. Got it put together and started up the burn off. Temp was climbing nicely to the 350 I set and just kept on going. Got up to 450 and I set the temp to 150 to see if it would go down. Got to 500 and I held the power button down until it turned off and went into it's cool down mode. Got to 585 and I pulled the plug. Oh, and I had a separate thermometer in the soker as well so those temps were mirrored there. Call up Pit Boss and it looks like the controller has a problem and the auger is feeding pellets continuously. They want to send a new controller but won't have them in stick until the end of May. Option two is take it back for another one. Was just wondering if anyone here knows of anything I can check quick before I load this up in the truck and take it back. Not looking forward to that really, I don't think I was ready for the weight of this thing.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Jay.

Might be wired backwards. For some reason that is a common problem. See if you can find a wiring diagram and make sure they are in the correct spot.

I have a 5 year old model 820D and had a significant flare up on Sat for the first time. The fire pot was filled with pellets. After emptying the pellet box, I noticed the augrer turns continually even on the smoke or 250 degree setting, and P4. I suspect the controller pcb has a similar failure as well? The heat and pressure built up resulting in a loud "energy release" that caused the door lid to open an close along with the digital read out going out. There was also excessive amounts of black and grey smoke for 3-5 minutes leading up to the failure. I immediately turned off the unit then unplugged it.

Does anyone know if the thermostat probe has any affect on the duration of the auger turn cycle or is the number of seconds cycle purely a function of temp and P settings?( manual says 18 seconds run with progressive stop intervals as P setting values are increased) I ran a test with lid open and without the heat shield in place. it was an impressive 6" high fire until I turned the unit off. the digital display returned and the fan ran as designed.

I've read that damp pellets and or greasy food drippings can cause similar flare up issues as well. These pellets were over a year old. i will first try a new bag of pellets to trouble shoot as well. I suspect that continuous auger turning is unrelated to pellet quality or sawdust etc.

Note: this grill has met and exceeded expectations consistently for 5+ years of usage with ribs, pork chops, roasts, hams, turkeys, chicken, etc etc. It was about 30% the price of a comparable size "Traeger" and also had many add on features included. it has been kept outside in a dry carport(open sides) fully covered and never had a problem before.

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Pro Series 2 V4 - PBV4PS2 from Lowe's. Got it put together and started up the burn off. Temp was climbing nicely to the 350 I set and just kept on going. Got up to 450 and I set the temp to 150 to see if it would go down. Got to 500 and I held the power button down until it turned off and went into it's cool down mode. Got to 585 and I pulled the plug. Oh, and I had a separate thermometer in the soker as well so those temps were mirrored there. Call up Pit Boss and it looks like the controller has a problem and the auger is feeding pellets continuously. They want to send a new controller but won't have them in stick until the end of May. Option two is take it back for another one. Was just wondering if anyone here knows of anything I can check quick before I load this up in the truck and take it back. Not looking forward to that really, I don't think I was ready for the weight of this thing.

Jay.
Take it back....I had to and no regrets.

Hi everyone,

Jay.
I would take it back to Lowes and either get a new one from them.....or wait a few months when the newer style controllers start flooding into the market. I have been told that they are not going to exchange first revision controllers with the latest version.....unless of course it breaks....hint hint. :)

Hi everyone,

Jay.
Get an RMA and send it back, Lowes knowingly released the PBV4PS2 before tech support was ready and parts were in stock
I'm on my 3rd one in less than 45 days..... They had 4 PBV4PS1 literally burn up at the Lowes in my area last year from controller issues.... LOWEs will replace them

Ok I can't see anything wrong with the wiring, and it sounds like from UncleTom this may not be an unheard of problem, so back it goes. They list having 2 more in stock so fingers crossed they have at least on that is good.

I also noticed that during the run away temp increase that the outside of the cabinet was 'burn you now' hot. I am assuming that is just because of the constantly feed fire in the burn chamber.

Hoping to find a good one, my current smoker is out of commission and I can't find a vertical pellet smoker that 'seems' to be as good a deal as this one.

I have a 5 year old model 820D and had a significant flare up on Sat for the first time. The fire pot was filled with pellets. After emptying the pellet box, I noticed the augrer turns continually even on the smoke or 250 degree setting, and P4. I suspect the controller pcb has a similar failure as well? The heat and pressure built up resulting in a loud "energy release" that caused the door lid to open an close along with the digital read out going out. There was also excessive amounts of black and grey smoke for 3-5 minutes leading up to the failure. I immediately turned off the unit then unplugged it.

Does anyone know if the thermostat probe has any affect on the duration of the auger turn cycle or is the number of seconds cycle purely a function of temp and P settings?( manual says 18 seconds run with progressive stop intervals as P setting values are increased) I ran a test with lid open and without the heat shield in place. it was an impressive 6" high fire until I turned the unit off. the digital display returned and the fan ran as designed.

I've read that damp pellets and or greasy food drippings can cause similar flare up issues as well. These pellets were over a year old. i will first try a new bag of pellets to trouble shoot as well. I suspect that continuous auger turning is unrelated to pellet quality or sawdust etc.
For mine it seems that the auger was operating in an opposite mode. It was running when the auger light was off (so most of the time) and not running when the light was on (and it was never one once it was above the set temp).

Hello!,

I had similar issues with my series 4. I took it back to lowes and the new one works like a charm. One big difference between the old and new is the way the thermometer is mounted. The new one has a "cage" around it.

sonny

Hi everyone,

Jay.

Hi everyone,

Jay.
I have a 5 series, and this past Easter, I smoked a ham and another couple things. When I went to turn it down, it just kept feeding more pellets, the auger would not stop until I finally pulled the plug. It is about 13 months old and one problem after another. When it works correctly, it does a great job, but normally I need to diagnose some kind of problem, before I get it to work. I wish I had the option to take it back!

Ok took it back to SLowe‘s and exchanged it. New one works! Now the next problem. I smoked 2 whole chickens. 2 hours at 250 and one hour @ 350. Chicken was tender, juicy, with crispy skin, but not a single hint of smoke. Smoker kept the temp nice and even the whole time (although a little slow to get to temp) and I could smell the smoke (heck I smell like smoke) but nothing on the chicken. I’ll probably start a new thread on that.

Ok took it back to SLowe‘s and exchanged it. New one works! Now the next problem. I smoked 2 whole chickens. 2 hours at 250 and one hour @ 350. Chicken was tender, juicy, with crispy skin, but not a single hint of smoke. Smoker kept the temp nice and even the whole time (although a little slow to get to temp) and I could smell the smoke (heck I smell like smoke) but nothing on the chicken. I’ll probably start a new thread on that.
Use a smoke tube....is amazing smoke flavor!!
1618108528260.png

You're not going to get much smoke flavor out of a pellet smoker unless you start out at 225 or less. The best thing to do is play around with it. Take your time and add some time to the cook. Try adding an hour and cook at 180 for the first hour (or even 90 min). Then turn it up to 250 for ab hour then 350.

I also use a smoke tube. In fact, just bought a second one (the 6 inch version, I already have the 12 inch smoke tube).

Yeah, I looked around the forum and found out that the 5 that showed up on the controller is actually an S for smoke so I’ll play with that. I also have a smoke tube I used with my old Masterbuilt I‘ll give a try. Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest Discussions

Back