Pro Series 1150 review

I purchased one about two weeks ago from Lowe's, and cooked on it about 5 times now with each cook holding temp beautifully. Once I've started mine, I would start it with the lid open until the thick smoke clears then close the lid and set to the desired temp. No problem reaching 350 or even 400 degree temps. I have not ran it over 400 degrees. Once the desired temp is reached (which does not take an eternity at least on my unit) they are pretty much locked in and do not fluctuate much within about 5 degrees, When getting an ambient temp with the pit boss probes, I notice about a 12 to 13 degree difference between the probe temps and display temp (pit boss probes are known to not be accurate, so I trust the display temp, the grill heat is even all the way across though) I also have a thermopro bluetooth thermometer which is registering within a few degrees of the grill's displayed temps. Keep in mind that if you need more heat, on this unit you have a manual auger control which if utilized properly, will deliver more barrel heat and smoke when needed (if needed to get to 350 quickly, then dial the controller to 350 and as the temp slowly rises, with the press of a button, you can feed in more pellets to help the unit get there faster, what I've discovered is once it's there, the PID controller will regulate the temp to stay there). My major complaint is the wireless app. The Smoke It app interface could use some updating it is horrible as far as trying to adjust grill temps, it does not display set and actual temps and if you accidentally shut the grill off via the app, you have to go out to the grill to repower the unit. All in all I love the grill, have not dabbled with the recipe settings as of yet, but the app can use a serious facelift.

20201103_012440.jpg

Screenshot_20201104-154642_Smoke IT.jpg

Screenshot_20201106-152521_Smoke IT.jpg

Screenshot_20201106-150516_Smoke IT.jpg

Last edited:
Just want to give this web site a Huge thank you and to whoever posted the information. I have been in the market for a pit boss, size undecided, up until yesterday. Yesterday I discovered that pit boss had this forum. In the forum I discovered that Lowe’s had the 1100 series marked down to $472.20 from its original price of $599. I had previously watched a ton of videos on YouTube about the 1100 and was pretty certain it was what I wanted. So I called up my local Lowe’s, they tell me they had 3 left. I immediately confirm the price was $472.20 and that they actually do have them. The lady assured me that they are there and says I can just purchase it online since they could not take credit card info over the phone, and they will not put my name on it to hold it. When trying to buy online it said it was it available to purchase online. I explained this to her and she simply said it would have to wait until tomorrow but they will still be there. Today came and at first light I jetted to Lowe’s. Walked straight up to customer service, plead my case to the lady, she gets someone in the department to help me. So I’m waiting for the young lady to return with a pit for me only to see her show up empty handed and has a sad story. She said between her, her manager and a stocker, none of them could find the 3 units they assured me they had. But on the bright side she says, we have an 850 and the new 1150 ps2. That might have been good news for some folks, but not for me. I told her that I didn’t want the 850 and I’m most definitely not paying $600 for the other one. But here’s what I am willing to do. You people assured me you had 3, you even told me you had 3 before you even went to look because you confirmed my story from the night before. So I’ll take the new 1150 ps2 if you give it to me for $472.20 like I was gonna Gladly pay for the other. She got approval from her manager, I swiped that card so fast I’m surprised the machine even read it. And now my fellow cookers, I’m the proud owner of a pit boss 1150 ps2. Sorry for the long story.

Hey, that's a nice pick up for 472! Keep in mind there may be issues with the temp controller when trying to maintain 225. I think someone here in another thread (several people) have pointed out that at 225 and 250 it will run at 300.

Hey, that's a nice pick up for 472! Keep in mind there may be issues with the temp controller when trying to maintain 225. I think someone here in another thread (several people) have pointed out that at 225 and 250 it will run at 300.
You know the truth is, I would have been pleased with the 850. And had Lowe’s not worked with me on the 1150, I would have bought the 850. At that point, I was tired of the run a round. But to your point about the controller, I’m not a big tech guy to start with. I would have been just fine with the older style. I will never probably ever use all the features of this thing. I’m kinda ole school, like to stand around the pit, drink a beer, open the lid kinda guy. Been doing it that way for years. This is the first time I’ve ever had meat probes. I’m excited about that. So this is going to be a learning curve for me. I think I forgot to mention when I ended my story last night. The whole point of the story was to say thank you. So far the web site has been helpful and easy to navigate. And just the tips alone on where to buy items are worth it in itself. So, thanks again. Otherwise, I would have probably paid full price for a pit that I didn’t want to begin with.

You also might want to buy another meat probe as I gave found the PB probes that come with it are not accurate at all. At least the two I have (they sent a replacement a few weeks ago). Both of them read 40-60 higher than actual temp. I have a Bluetooth thermometer that I trust and use over the PB probes. They come in handy, I had never had any before having a pellet grill either. Glad I do know because I used to always overcook meat.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-...child=1&keywords=chugod&qid=1605894527&sr=8-5

This is what I have but there are many different kinds out there. I normally just check temps on my phone unless I am sitting outside next to the Pit Boss.

Well, I actually made it through the burn in process. I had a bit of trouble with the hold the auger button to get pellets to come out. I kept noticing it would turn the auger light on, feed pellets then shut off even though I was holding the button. Nevertheless, got thru that and had it set for 350 and we were off to the races. Let it burn for about 35 minutes. Hit the power for shit down, 10-15 minutes later I was done. Worked like a charm. Gonna smoke a turkey breast tomorrow. I will report back when done.

Also forgot to ask you guys. Being that this thing is fairly new, I’ve looked at my local big box stores and can’t seem to find a cover for this thing. Does anyone know if the cover for the 1100 will fit or does the 1000 fit. I searched Amazon and didn’t have much luck either. Thanks in advance.

Also forgot to ask you guys. Being that this thing is fairly new, I’ve looked at my local big box stores and can’t seem to find a cover for this thing. Does anyone know if the cover for the 1100 will fit or does the 1000 fit. I searched Amazon and didn’t have much luck either. Thanks in advance.
Try looking on the Pit Boss website. And when you register your grill they normal send you a $25 coupon. If you don't see a cover on their website try giving them a call

Latest Discussions

Back