Pro 1150 PS2 Temp

sd_will_pb

Reaction score
I picked up a 1150 PS2 from Lowes this last Saturday. After the 10 percent military discount, it ended up costing 540, which I thought I was pretty great deal. You look at this pellet grill in the store and it really blows you away especially at that price. Yesterday I did the burn in and tried cooking a couple slabs of ribs. I set the temp to 350 to warm it up. After almost an hour, the grill only got up to 220 according to my thermopro, while the controller act temp showed 350. I had to set the it to 400 to get the ambient temp up to 250. I was worried the whole time that the temp would actually climb to 400. The temperature variance is pretty unacceptable. The app was beyond useless.

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I really debated on taking this back. I started to research the temperature issue. Luckily I found this forum. I found out that the gap on left side of the broiler plate is the main cause. In fact you can buy a heat deflector mod from a few different people for like 30 bucks.

I read someone here had jammed a bunch of tin foil into that gap instead, so I tried that out today.

I kept on laying tin foil over that hole on the broiler plate until that whole gap was pretty filled up.

IMG_4202.jpg

I started it up and set it for 350. In 20 mins or so, it reached 330 so that's better than before. I set the thermopro probes in various different spots to check for hot spots. I changed the set temp and re-tested for hot spots. I was suprised the grill was working the way you think it should. I'm kind of annoyed that this design flaw exists, but I ordered the heat deflector plate from smokeslikesaboss.

IMG_4200.jpg
IMG_4201.jpg

So if you have an 1150PS2 and have wild temp variances from what the controller says to what the probes says the annual temp is. You can fix it on the cheap with some tin foil. On a side note, I covered the searing vent with more foil and the temp is pretty even across the whole grill.

Hopefully that app gets updated to something useful making this whole thing the best deal in pellet grills.

Bought my 1150 from lowes 4th of July weekend. I put it together burned in and have cooked on it. Going by the temp on readout not grate ambient temp.
Each smoke cook (6) so far. Has come out grate other than 2 that I overcooked some and in the same time or shorter. That my charcoal/stick grills take. (Bullet,kettle, and offset)
Don't get hung up on grate temp.

I don't have that model but users here have said that over time it heats up faster after multiple uses.

I picked up a 1150 PS2 from Lowes this last Saturday. After the 10 percent military discount, it ended up costing 540, which I thought I was pretty great deal. You look at this pellet grill in the store and it really blows you away especially at that price. Yesterday I did the burn in and tried cooking a couple slabs of ribs. I set the temp to 350 to warm it up. After almost an hour, the grill only got up to 220 according to my thermopro, while the controller act temp showed 350. I had to set the it to 400 to get the ambient temp up to 250. I was worried the whole time that the temp would actually climb to 400. The temperature variance is pretty unacceptable. The app was beyond useless.

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I really debated on taking this back. I started to research the temperature issue. Luckily I found this forum. I found out that the gap on left side of the broiler plate is the main cause. In fact you can buy a heat deflector mod from a few different people for like 30 bucks.

I read someone here had jammed a bunch of tin foil into that gap instead, so I tried that out today.

I kept on laying tin foil over that hole on the broiler plate until that whole gap was pretty filled up.

View attachment 1449

I started it up and set it for 350. In 20 mins or so, it reached 330 so that's better than before. I set the thermopro probes in various different spots to check for hot spots. I changed the set temp and re-tested for hot spots. I was suprised the grill was working the way you think it should. I'm kind of annoyed that this design flaw exists, but I ordered the heat deflector plate from smokeslikesaboss.

View attachment 1450View attachment 1451

So if you have an 1150PS2 and have wild temp variances from what the controller says to what the probes says the annual temp is. You can fix it on the cheap with some tin foil. On a side note, I covered the searing vent with more foil and the temp is pretty even across the whole grill.

Hopefully that app gets updated to something useful making this whole thing the best deal in pellet grills.
Remember the pitboss temperature is not at the grates. It is the chamber temperature. It will be ok thought because you should have a probe in the meat. Try doing a stick burner if you want to see temp changes! Not sure why people are so hung up on this. Now the app is bad as far as I can tell so far. I do not need the app I will just use my remote thermometers and will be fin. Hope you get it all worked out.

Latest Discussions

Back