Poor packaging on units

The Cooler King

Reaction score
Did anyone else ever run into issues with bad packaging on their smokers and having damaged units upon arrival? I ordered a Lowe's exclusive model and while Pit Boss has been fairly helpful their warranty doesn't include shipping damages. I'm on smoker two, both with really large dents out of the package (at least 5 inches across and deep) on the door and frame. On one, the entire corner of the door was collapsed. The issues are likely cosmetic issues only and while I know at the end of the day it will get beat up over time, you kind of expect to have a nice unit out of the boxfor several hundred dollara. Really contemplating if I should even try for number 3, at least this particular model. Lowe's isn't too close for me so every bad unit is a 35 mile round trip... Pretty frustrated right now.

They did say the door could be replaced under warranty if it's a functional issue, but I don't want to even go down the path of setting it up and firing it up to find it functions fine and not be able to replace it, and be stuck with a super beat up looking smoker box.

I would return it, maybe ask Lowe's for free assembly so you don't have to chance strike three

I would return it, maybe ask Lowe's for free assembly so you don't have to chance strike three
Well I don't know that I want to totally assemble on site, as I'll still need to transport it, but maybe a brief examination and then box back up. The other downside is each one has to be ordered as they're online only item as well.

My other thought was to look for a model that might be carried locally and kept in stock, but this particular model did seem like it offered great bang for the buck from a cooking space for size/cost of unit.

Well I don't know that I want to totally assemble on site, as I'll still need to transport it, but maybe a brief examination and then box back up. The other downside is each one has to be ordered as they're online only item as well.

My other thought was to look for a model that might be carried locally and kept in stock, but this particular model did seem like it offered great bang for the buck from a cooking space for size/cost of unit.
Which model have you been purchasing?

I would, have you tried talking to the store manager or district manager? Lowe's here is like Amazon, deliver just about anything, that you bought from them.

I would, have you tried talking to the store manager or district manager? Lowe's here is like Amazon, deliver just about anything, that you bought from them.
No whoever I spoke to today spoke with their supervisor briefly to ensure they would honor the sales price (it was $20 off) , but that was it. Gonna try a corporate line today and see what they say. They did offer a shipping option, but it was like $75, but perhaps if they'd waive that and take the old unit that would save me a trip-the store was very adamemt they couldn't process and exchange like that over the phone though.

In that case I'd bring it back. Payed good money for a smoker and it should be perfect, it's brand new. Your credit card worked perfect to buy it. 18 miles each way isn't too bad, but unnecessary mileage, to make a product they sold you perfect, would rub me the wrong way too.

In that case I'd bring it back. Payed good money for a smoker and it should be perfect, it's brand new. Your credit card worked perfect to buy it. 18 miles each way isn't too bad, but unnecessary mileage, to make a product they sold you perfect, would rub me the wrong way too.
Well said !

Well Lowes never ended up being all that helpful. With some hesitation I tried for a third time, but that was definitely going to be my last attempt and I didn't leave the Lowes parking lot without opening it. It was in the best shape of the three, but that isn't saying much. It still had a pretty sizable dent on the upper right corner of the frame and some additional minor dents on the door. So I took it right back inside.

I am trying now for a series 3 model from Walmart. Its at least closer to make the return if I run into issues and have to return again, though I won't go through multiple attempts if this one is damaged too.

For the life of me, I really can't figure it out. I'm either the most unlucky consumer, or they are skimping on packaging. I think its the latter. And if they beefed up packaging and made it $100 more, it would STILL be a great value based on cooking Sq in verse cost.

Latest Discussions

Back