Plugged in for 3 hours....max temp 260?

Jejsmom

Reaction score
Just got this Pit Boss Series 3 digital electric smoker. Followed instructions and set it up. Trying to do the ‘first use smoker burn off’. It has been plugged in for 3 hours and the max temp is 260. The book says to go to any temp over 350 for 30 - 40 minutes. Any suggestions? Or did I get a dud?

Sounds like a bad controller or internal temp probe. Call Pit Boss and leave a call back number.

Have you rectified your problem? I just got mine this week and this is happening to me to. It got to 265 max.

what kind of digital probe do people use to check if the temp is correct?
I’m a newbie so I know very little. It comes with the meat probe... could you use that to compare temps?
Also, it was 59 degrees out. Can that make a big impact on the temp?
Thanks in advance!

No, an outside temp of 59 should not influence the inside temps. The best bet is to call customer support 1-877-303-3134 and call early in the day.

I have found the meat probes that come with the Pit Boss are not accurate. The digital readout on the controller is usually pretty close.

If you do put a temp probe inside to check temps you need to put it on a probe clip like this

Probe Clip

This is the thermometer I have and it works great and connects to your phone so you can monitor temps in the house. An alarm will go off when it reaches desired temp.

Chugod thermometer at Amazon

Just got this Pit Boss Series 3 digital electric smoker. Followed instructions and set it up. Trying to do the ‘first use smoker burn off’. It has been plugged in for 3 hours and the max temp is 260. The book says to go to any temp over 350 for 30 - 40 minutes. Any suggestions? Or did I get a dud?
The temp probe mounted in the unit might be too close to the element? It would heat up faster than the unit being so close, I'm thinking of moving mine up a few inches, and see if that corrects the problem. I'm thinking it will!

Latest Discussions

Back