Please Post your PB 1150 New Firmwate Update results

DaveXDm9

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
We are going to start seeing results of the new Firmware coming in for the 1150 owners and we have too many threads that are starting to get chaotic and confusing.

Please do not post anything unless it involves the new 1150 firmware. This will help us understand on how the new firmware is working.

First to report back— so claims of 10f increments are true. 180-300 are 10f and then you have 325-350-375-400-450-H. So you are getting 25f but not 425 or 475 (lots of pizzas call for 425).

I spent about an hour trying to figure out why I couldn’t get it to ignite, found out through an ohm tester that one of the leads on the igniter had come loose inside the terminal. I had to ghetto-wire it back together so it had continuity. So be very gentle when reconnecting. They aren’t great plugs.

Currently doing a run up the temp scale, but so far it seems to be holding temps just fine. I have a pork shoulder marinading so I’ll be able to post more details tomorrow.

Additionally, I got a notification from the iOS SmokeIT app that the grill was at the desired temp (never used to get those). Unsure if it’s the iOS update or grill firmware.

here’s a pic of the controller as it came back. First glance, I can’t see any work they did physically.

First power startup the code flashes “126”

Also all online recipes call for 225 or 275, which we don’t have anymore. So should we cook at 220 and 270 or 230 and 280?

EDIT: lol the smokeit app hasn’t been updated for the new values, so I can still set 225 on the app....(and it registers it as accepted on the PID) but not through the jog wheel. Lots of funky action going on here

EDIT2: okay lol don’t mess with the app until it’s updated. If you set it to 225 on the app, then jog the wheel, it’ll do 10f/25f with a 5 at the end. So 225/235/245/255 up to 505 and then it... breaks. Had to do a full power cycle to get it to come back around

EDIT3: I heard some talk about the controller serving up a webpage, mine does not. I ran an npcap and it doesn’t have anything open. It accepts ARP requests and ICMP pings. But no other ports that I could hammer to try and brute force. If anyone wants to DM me with a unit that does serve up a webpage.. I can assist in showing you some tools that can brute force the username/pass (not illegal to hack into your own devices)

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Welp some not so great news, I have been running it for about an hour now. I set it to 230 with the smoke stack at medium height. I'm getting temp ranges from 195-225. It hasn't run up to 230 or overshot it at all. Pretty disappointed so far. I'm going to try different heat ranges and see what happens. Temps are about 70f in sunny Northern Cali currently.

Okay so final result: Worthless upgrade. They didn't actually fix anything. From all that I can tell, they are basically lying to us. So before, the PID would show me accurate temperatures, ie: if it was set to go to 225f, the PID would show 208f and it was actually 208f in the grill. However, now it looks like they are just flat out lying to us. The PID will actively jump 10-15f within seconds all the time, implying its not actually reading the probe, but moreover just flat out lying to us. Moreover, the PID control will show the exact temp you are asking for, ie: 230 will show 230 on the dot, even if all internal temps inside the grill say 190-200.

I messaged the BBB complaint person at pitboss about this, along with multiple probes and grill temps inside the grill.
"Please do some cooking on the grill to see how the controller does for you. With the new program it works more on averages than the one particular reading. Thanks George"

So this would indicate to me they aren't relying on just the temp probe inside the grill to actually measure the inside barrel temp... fishy....

I would love to get the people with new firmware to get accurate inside the grill temp probes to confirm this, but my research is showing that the grill doesn't get up to temp similar to before. However, PB instead just fools us by showing us a pretty number that we wanna see, but no where near the temps we need to smoke our meats properly.

I hope I'm wrong.. but this is looking like a giant waste of time, and will be returning to Lowes with the quickness.

EDIT: Picture included for reference, I put 4 probes (2 built-in, 1 instant, 1 intelitopia 6probe) in various parts of the barrel, with two right next to the PID's probe. PID shows 230 on the nose, all the others are way low. This was taken 30 mins after the probes were set, plenty of enough time for the barrel to get saturated.

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 194
Aeroin
finally sent mine off to PB and am eagerly awaiting its return. I am a N. Cal guy too and was hoping that you would have good results.. Sorry to hear you're still having trouble, I hope it gets fixed if you keep the grill. I saw the YouTube post I put in below and was thrilled that it looked like a good fix.. Hoping I don't have the same trouble too...

So at the 4:55 mark on this vid, can someone more knowledgeable help me explain? If I dial in 250, I expect 250 inside the barrel, or at least at the probe on the side next to the PID controller. I don't understand how you can see 225 inside the grill but have the PID saying 250. I did a pork shoulder and I had to set it to 280 just to get the barrel up to 220. Maybe I'm just not understanding how this works?

This controller is a joke! Love the grill but the controller has to go. I gotta make up my mind whether to keep it or take it back to Lowes. I have until 2/13. Shame on Pit Boss.

My controller comes Monday. Will report back after I use it...I was beyond ecstatic when they updated the controller but these responses are not what I expected to read. This grills is built like a tank and I really don't want to take it back but at what point do you draw the line? If this thing don't work anyone have recs on buying an alternative controller IF I decide to go that route?

Just some closure on my experience, I had the grill 62 days and returned it to Lowe’s today. No questions asked, didn’t even clean it (figured pitboss can deal with it. Fugg em’). Told the cashier it was defective and send it back to them. Also they accepted the cover that I bought without question, even though I doubt that’s included in the 90 day return policy.

Just ordered myself a campchef 24 WiFi with sidekick, it was an extra $400 bucks but figured my time and sanity is worth the upgrade. Plus the sidekick will let me get rid of my small propane bbq I have. So kill two birds. Anyways, cheers guys, hope you have better luck than I did with the upgrade.

Just some closure on my experience, I had the grill 62 days and returned it to Lowe’s today. No questions asked, didn’t even clean it (figured pitboss can deal with it. Fugg em’). Told the cashier it was defective and send it back to them. Also they accepted the cover that I bought without question, even though I doubt that’s included in the 90 day return policy.

Just ordered myself a campchef 24 WiFi with sidekick, it was an extra $400 bucks but figured my time and sanity is worth the upgrade. Plus the sidekick will let me get rid of my small propane bbq I have. So kill two birds. Anyways, cheers guys, hope you have better luck than I did with the upgrade.
Did you disassemble it and put it in the box? Just wondering. Enjoy the camp chef!

Well, I’ve actually been lurking just to see what everyone or at least the few that has taken the time to disassemble and send back there controller. This is completely unbelievable. At least aeroin had the snap to get an Ohm meter and solve one issue. Most people don’t have those just laying around nor do they know what to do with them. Kudos to aeroin.
I have no intentions on tearing this thing apart. If Pit Boss is that damn cheap, they can gladly have mine back. $600 may be a piss in the bucket for some. But I work hard for my money. I would not go buy a new car, find out it gets horrible gas mileage, then go spend thousands to make improvements. And think everything is ok. Who does this?
I’m not bashing you guys that have taken the time to do this. You bought it, do what you want to. I’m just saying it’s not right. Pit Boss has made Plenty money off of there consumers. They should pony up a New, not refurbished controller, give you a place to take it to have the repairs made. It should Not be up to the consumer to have to become an electrician over night. Trouble shooter, mechanic, whichever you prefer.
Sorry for the rant. I’m Not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings. I’d like to think that I’ve made some friends here. I’m just tired of getting screwed and seeing others getting screwed.

As promised, I received my updated controller on Friday. Installation was straightforward and pretty easy. Upon starting the new controller I instantly noticed the variable 10° increment update had been applied. This did remove the ability to cook at 225°. 230° is close enough for me.

here is where stuff got funky, it took 25 minutes to get the initial thin blue smoke. Come to find out there was a loose wire as somebody previously posted. I corrected this issue and started again. Initial thin blue smoke took about eight minutes, perfectly acceptable. I set the temperature to 230 and when the temperature got to 230 it bounced within 10° which in my opinion is acceptable. To go from 230 to 250 it took 38 minutes.

This was the last straw for myself and Pitt boss, Lowes is now the proud owner of a pro series 1150. It has the potential to be a great grill if Pitt boss could fix their controller issues.

They didn’t even look at my grill. Left the cover on and they didn’t hesitate 3rd return of said type of grill today they said.

Latest Discussions

Back