Pizza with the pit boss pizza stone!

Debo

Reaction score
I just bought a sportsman 820 and am curious about cooking a pizza! Just a frozen one to start and i did purchace the pit boss stone. Any tips guys and gals? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I just bought a sportsman 820 and am curious about cooking a pizza! Just a frozen one to start and i did purchace the pit boss stone. Any tips guys and gals? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
I just bought a PB0820SP in July, as my 1st pellet grill. Gonna throw my 1st pizza on mine this Sunday when I get home. Plan on preheating that stone to 400° b4 I toss the 'za on it & will see how it goes!

Ps. So far, I've smoked baby backs & chuck roasts a couple times each, London broils, chicken thighs & breasts, and reverse seared ribeye. I've also made burgers that I smoked for 45 minutes@180°, prior to grilling @400 for a couple minutes.

*Everything but the london broil has been fabulous. Dried that sucker out

Last edited:
Smoke the ever living sh#t out of it then crank up the temp. You're going to need to baby the hell out of it rotating and checking on it especially if you haven't done any mods to even out temps.

I just bought a PB0820SP in July, as my 1st pellet grill. Gonna throw my 1st pizza on mine this Sunday when I get home. Plan on preheating that stone to 400° b4 I toss the 'za on it & will see how it goes!

Ps. So far, I've smoked baby backs & chuck roasts a couple times each, London broils, chicken thighs & breasts, and reverse seared ribeye. I've also made burgers that I smoked for 45 minutes@180°, prior to grilling @400 for a couple minutes.

*Everything but the london broil has been fabulous. Dried that sucker out
Yeah London broils gotta do slow to med rare like a tri tip! They are tricky👍👍

I just bought a sportsman 820 and am curious about cooking a pizza! Just a frozen one to start and i did purchace the pit boss stone. Any tips guys and gals? Any feedback would be

Update on the pizza cook! Wiped down the pizza stone with cooking oil and heated it up to 450. Then put the pizza on and cooked for 15-20 minutes...... Turned out crispy crust and tasted ok. It had a weird flavor that im thinking was from the cooking oil on the stone possibly 🤔. Gonna season the stone by itself 3 or 4 times and go from there!

Update on the pizza cook! Wiped down the pizza stone with cooking oil and heated it up to 450. Then put the pizza on and cooked for 15-20 minutes...... Turned out crispy crust and tasted ok. It had a weird flavor that im thinking was from the cooking oil on the stone possibly 🤔. Gonna season the stone by itself 3 or 4 times and go from there!
I didn't season either of my stones. I just get them hot and cook on them.

one is over 10 years old, the other is about 2. the 10 year old one is more black and smoother but both work the same.

I also never, never, never wash the stones. After they are cool I will scrape them with a stainless bench scraper and a pizza cleaning brush.

edit: this is the brush I have. I don't use it very often. If cheese is stuck, I'll use it to clean that off.

If you have put oil on the stones, I would cook it off before making more pizza.

I'm not sure if you have a stone or not, but I would not put a frozen pizza on a stone.

I would set the pizza out, and let it come up to close to room temp.

It it is too "floppy" consider parchment paper underneath it.

good luck !

I didn't season either of my stones. I just get them hot and cook on them.

one is over 10 years old, the other is about 2. the 10 year old one is more black and smoother but both work the same.

I also never, never, never wash the stones. After they are cool I will scrape them with a stainless bench scraper and a pizza cleaning brush.

edit: this is the brush I have. I don't use it very often. If cheese is stuck, I'll use it to clean that off.

If you have put oil on the stones, I would cook it off before making more pizza.
The paper in the box the stone came in said to do the cooking oil thing. Said to do it for the first several cooks! But im like you, i dont think i will again. Thx for the info👍

This is how I stack them on my gasser. The lower stone shields the upper. Spacers are feet from my BGE.

Getting the stones higher in the lid gets the top done better too.

I'm thinking on the PB 820 I might use fire bricks to get the stones up high.

20210531_200048.jpg

20210531_200658.jpg

I use a GMG pizza oven attachment in my pitboss. Used it with the 700FB and just upgraded to the austin XL. Will be using it for the first time in the Austin this weekend. Gets really hot (7-800+ degrees), cooks pizza in just a few minutes and they turn out amazing.

Latest Discussions

Back