Pitboss Pro 1150PS2

Usmc93

Reaction score
I just brought a pro 1150PS2 today and after setting everything up I turnsd it on and my first problem was that it wouldn’t automatically turn the auger on and fill with pellets. So after about 5 minutes straight of holding the primer button it got enough pellets to ignite.

after the warmup I set it to 225 and after 45 min it still did not get hotter than 190. Then I set to 300 and it finally hit 225 after another 25 minutes. I then set it to max (500) and after 25 minutes, it still won’t go about 400.

is there something I’m not doing right or something I need to know? I will say that it’s about 35 degrees outside right now...I’m hoping come spring time it will reach the right temperatures and way faster.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! If you spend any amount of time in this sub-thread, you'll notice this is a common issue with the 1150PS2's. If you just bought it, I would recommend taking it back to Lowes. Or if you are really in love with the grill, hit up Pitboss support and you'll need to take apart the controller, get a return label from them, and send it in for repairs.

I just brought a pro 1150PS2 today and after setting everything up I turnsd it on and my first problem was that it wouldn’t automatically turn the auger on and fill with pellets. So after about 5 minutes straight of holding the primer button it got enough pellets to ignite.

after the warmup I set it to 225 and after 45 min it still did not get hotter than 190. Then I set to 300 and it finally hit 225 after another 25 minutes. I then set it to max (500) and after 25 minutes, it still won’t go about 400.

is there something I’m not doing right or something I need to know? I will say that it’s about 35 degrees outside right now...I’m hoping come spring time it will reach the right temperatures and way faster.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Huge problem as stated by aerion. If you haven't done a lot of cooking I would take it back and get one next month. Personally I would just take it back. Ive had mine since Dec and will wait after the SuperBowl to take it back.

Also an addendum -- 35f is gonna be really hard for any smoker to keep temps reliably (correct me if I am wrong forum). Especially if theres any sort of wind-chill. I would highly recommend a thermal blanket regardless if you keep this guy or get a different brand/model

Also an addendum -- 35f is gonna be really hard for any smoker to keep temps reliably (correct me if I am wrong forum). Especially if theres any sort of wind-chill. I would highly recommend a thermal blanket regardless if you keep this guy or get a different brand/model
I've been holding temps above 300 good in that type of weather. Just the lower temps where it's had the issue with me.

It ended up getting up to 425 when it was set at 500. Would this still be a controller problem since it is getting high up there in temp? Could it just be from the cold weather outside

At 35 degrees you will struggle maintaining temps esepcially if there is a wind chill.

How long should it take to reach your desired temp?
Rah!
Depends on the temperature you’re trying to reach. Longer for 450 than for 250. when I was playing with mine in beautiful SoCal at 50 degrees time to temp of 400 from a cold start was about 24 minuets +/- 2

Rahhh.

I have used this grill about 5 more times and even contacted pitboss. I can only hold temps at 300 or higher. Their suggestion was to start the grill to 350 and do 2-3 “burnoffs” of 40-45 min and then everytime I start the grill I must go to 350 and back it down to 250-225 to smoke.

I tried this and it still only holds temps at 300 or higher. Once I set it to 225 or 250 it holds for about 2 min and then drops to 189-194....I’m wondering at what point they will just ask me to send in the controller. If they know this is a problem why are they making us jump through all these hoops.

Usmc93, I would reach out to Pit Boss Customer Service and ask for a Supervisor... and tell them that the 3 step burn off hasn’t helped and doesn’t work... Tell them that you insist that they update your grills controller with the most current Firmware. Tell them that this is completely unacceptable and that you just want your grill to work safely and correctly. Hopefully, they’ll hear your frustration and will offer to reprogram your controller by sending it to them. Good luck Chesty Usmc93... Oorah!!

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Rahhh.

I have used this grill about 5 more times and even contacted pitboss. I can only hold temps at 300 or higher. Their suggestion was to start the grill to 350 and do 2-3 “burnoffs” of 40-45 min and then everytime I start the grill I must go to 350 and back it down to 250-225 to smoke.

I tried this and it still only holds temps at 300 or higher. Once I set it to 225 or 250 it holds for about 2 min and then drops to 189-194....I’m wondering at what point they will just ask me to send in the controller. If they know this is a problem why are they making us jump through all these hoops.
I did the burn off and it didn’t do anything but chew thru a bag of pellets.

Sent mine in Last week, they got it today...hopefully I get it back by the end of the week, if not oh well.

Latest Discussions

Back