Pit Boss Pro Series 4 V2 PBV4PS2

Mine my also display L41 when connected to power. I have to walk around to the other side of it to plug in so I'm not sure on that. Next time I use it I may get my wife to plug it in so I can keep an eye on the panel. So I guess the whole time I was thinking the default temp upon start-up should have been 350 (per the manual) I was wrong. It really makes perfect sense. I was thinking to myself the whole time it was senseless for the unit to take itself up to 350 during the start-up when most people are using it to smoke meats at much lower temp. Well, maybe this thread will help someone else searching the internet looking for guidance on this model smoker. Thanks Mike I appreciate your assistance.

Curiosity got the best of me and I went out to the porch and plugged it in where I could see the panel. Yes it shows L41 when you plug it in.

Last edited:
Hey all.....just got my PBV4PS2 as well. I had read the beginning of this thread a few days ago...before I got my grill assembled. So I was a bit armed with information....and I had watched Grill Sergeant's video on the burn-in of the older unit.

Luckily for me, I had to door open for longer than 1 minute...more like 2 or 3 after it started to roar because I had to go inside and make several trips to get all the racks. So I manually set the temp to 350 and closed the door. But during that initial burn-in, I pressed the prime button for 30 seconds twice, and I also spun the top vent down to about 1/2 an inch to keep the heat in the unit. It only took mine about 20 mins to get to 350 and held like a rock for the entire 1-hour burn-in. Temp outside was 36 degs. So I did not experience anything out of the normal.....but I had the advantage of reading a few of the earlier posts, and was good. I am in total agree with MikeS that the PID is Severely Overdamped....they did that to get more stable temps during the cook, but the ramp-up is way too slow without intervention. Have to say though....I don't mind keeping the door open...closing down the chimney and setting the Setpoint 50 degs higher to get there quicker...then just open the door....put in the meat and adjust the setpoint down.

Anyway....I had watched Mr. Garage, who had a video above about the 1150 pellet grill controller(which is the same as ours) getting an update to a later version of the firmware....and this had temperature control changes, as well as increment changes from 25 to 10 and from 50 to 25 while changing the setpoint. The board has to be sent in to have it flashed because the control firmware update is not over the air. After many many many emails(did I say many) and phone conversations, I finally got sent a mailing label and got it sent in today. I expect it to take a week or two....but I will confirm any changes to this thread when I get it back. They did not send me disconnection instructions and the manual is not very descriptive about it. But I managed to take a few pics of the board....and one of them shows an L41....which appears to be the version of the PCB or the firmware....will find out when it gets back to me.
1611083520252.png

Sorry for the long post, but I have been waiting to see if they would allow me to send it in first, before I posted all my thoughts. I have been an electrical engineer for 34 years, and specialize in electronics....so I spent some time analyzing the board. :) I have had a lot of issues trying to connect to my 2.4Ghz network....(same issue that I had with my rec tec).....but I fixed that by adding an external antenna to my Rec Tec.
1611083784536.png

So I just bought an antenna and cable from amazon, and am planning on mounting it on the metal opening for the cabinet Temperature probe. See below it has the same connector as my rec tec....this one uses the ESP32 chipset for WiFi and Bluetooth. You just pop off that connector and pop on the one going to the new antenna. The existing one is mounted to the PCB board and it doesn't see my access point....will do some testing with both before I drill any holes. :)
1611082841394.png

Am really excited about this cooker and I believe it is the best bang for the buck....and am hoping they can correct the few bugs in the firmware and in the App and settings soon. Will get back with you when I receive my board and do some testing.

Steve

Good post GeekChef. I'm real interested to see what you have to say when the control board returns and also how the antenna works out. So by reading your post and looking at the photos I'm guessing a guy could run a longer cable and use an external antenna like this or something similar https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-2-4G...d=1611111871&sprefix=esp32+an,aps,235&sr=8-18 and get much better range? It wouldn't take much work to make a connection and drill a hole for the antenna socket to reside and then just screw the antenna in. Can you post a link to the one you purchased?

Good post GeekChef. I'm real interested to see what you have to say when the control board returns and also how the antenna works out. So by reading your post and looking at the photos I'm guessing a guy could run a longer cable and use an external antenna like this or something similar https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-2-4Ghz-5-8Ghz-Extension-Notebook/dp/B07QKD56TT/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3VD64HP8GO40P&dchild=1&keywords=esp32+antenna&qid=1611111871&sprefix=esp32+an,aps,235&sr=8-18 and get much better range? It wouldn't take much work to make a connection and drill a hole for the antenna socket to reside and then just screw the antenna in. Can you post a link to the one you purchased?
Exactly what I did on my RecTec and it never lost connection again. So I am hoping for the same results. Will let u know in a week or two when it get my PCB back.

Here is the one I got(actually two)....found one that was just a bit under 14"....long enough to thread thru the existing RTD hole in the back wall and can drill a hole and mount to that removable cover plate for the internal RTD. When I mount it, I will send pics.

Thanks! Once you get a chance to get yours back, test, and add that antenna and report back I may do mine too. I wasn't having major issues but I did drop my bluetooth connection a few times and it would be nice to get better range in general. Heck I've got a cheap BT dual probe system I bought real cheap off amazon and that thing never loses connection. However, it's not behind a layer of sheet metal either. That antenna looks like super easy install. You will probably inspire everyone on this site who has this control board to add one in the future. (y)

Last edited:
Thanks! Once you get a chance to get yours back, test, and add that antenna and report back I may do mine too. I wasn't having major issues but I did drop my bluetooth connection a few times and it would be nice to get better range. in general. Heck I've got a cheap BT dual probe system I bought real cheap off amazon and that thing never loses connection. However, it's not behind a layer of sheet metal either. That antenna looks like super easy install. You will probably inspire everyone on this site who has this control board to add one in the future. (y)
Hope it works, then! LoL. Not sure if the antenna connection on that ESP32 chip is for both BT and WiFi. Will investigate and get back with the info later.

Found this on Wiki:
Features of the ESP32 include the following:[3]

• Processors:
    • CPU: Xtensa dual-core (or single-core) 32-bit LX6 microprocessor, operating at 160 or 240 MHz and performing at up to 600 DMIPS
    • Ultra low power (ULP) co-processor
  • Memory: 520 KiB SRAM
  • Wireless connectivity:
    • Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
    • Bluetooth: v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE (shares the radio with Wi-Fi)
I'm assuming that means the antenna serves both functions?

The included antenna (Airgain 2420) is fine, although they did put it in the wrong location (wrong side of the circuit board). And the Airgain costs >$3 in quantity, and isn't much better than an ESP32-WROOM with an onboard antenna (which would add basically no cost). The design simply doesn't make sense.
Agree. Hopefully this external antenna will fix this issue. Same problem on the RecTec....same crappy antenna built behind the metal casing. Installed the external one and it is great.

Wow.....they received my control board today, and they already shipped it back to me.....will get it on Monday according to the 2-day FedEx shipping info. Anyone else get theirs back yet...?

Hopefully it all works out for you all. I tried start up so many times with so many temps (including high, 450, 350, etc) and then some more based on tech support suggestions. I wasted way too many pellets trying to get that thing to work. I was very hopeful and still think besides the controller, the thing is built REALLY well. If it didn't have a controller issue, I think this thing would be awesome for the price!

I also didn't have any issues with it holding temps one it got there, I think that is due to how well the cabinet is built and insulated. It just holds heat and was very even (top to bottom and front to back) according to my external temp sensors.

I have since bought a Camp Chef SmokePro SG 24". More money, less space, lesser overall build quality compared to the pitboss vertical, no where near as well insulated, etc.

BUT it works so well. I start it up and no matter the temp, it is up to it in 20 to 30 minutes every time (even 500 which is its max).
It has 5 degree increments in temps, 10 different smoke settings, PID control, bluethooth/wifi, etc. It's temp probe is also within 5 degrees of my external temp probes....and upon first turn on IT ASKED ME IF I WANTED TO UPDATE THE CONTROLLER! No sending in, nothing, just do you want to update and then it did it.

I smoked some beer can chicken the other night until it was roughly 110 internal on high smoke setting (~220 and smoke setting of 10), then turned it up to 350 (got there within a couple minutes) until about 150 internal temp, then finished it off at 450 (got there again within a couple minutes of changing the temp. No special temps needed to do this, just set to the temp I want and let it get there.

I may take a look at the pitboss if I ever want to change out from this smoke pro and they get their controllers better.

Hopefully it all works out for you all. I tried start up so many times with so many temps (including high, 450, 350, etc) and then some more based on tech support suggestions. I wasted way too many pellets trying to get that thing to work. I was very hopeful and still think besides the controller, the thing is built REALLY well. If it didn't have a controller issue, I think this thing would be awesome for the price!

I also didn't have any issues with it holding temps one it got there, I think that is due to how well the cabinet is built and insulated. It just holds heat and was very even (top to bottom and front to back) according to my external temp sensors.

I have since bought a Camp Chef SmokePro SG 24". More money, less space, lesser overall build quality compared to the pitboss vertical, no where near as well insulated, etc.

BUT it works so well. I start it up and no matter the temp, it is up to it in 20 to 30 minutes every time (even 500 which is its max).
It has 5 degree increments in temps, 10 different smoke settings, PID control, bluethooth/wifi, etc. It's temp probe is also within 5 degrees of my external temp probes....and upon first turn on IT ASKED ME IF I WANTED TO UPDATE THE CONTROLLER! No sending in, nothing, just do you want to update and then it did it.

I smoked some beer can chicken the other night until it was roughly 110 internal on high smoke setting (~220 and smoke setting of 10), then turned it up to 350 (got there within a couple minutes) until about 150 internal temp, then finished it off at 450 (got there again within a couple minutes of changing the temp. No special temps needed to do this, just set to the temp I want and let it get there.

I may take a look at the pitboss if I ever want to change out from this smoke pro and they get their controllers better.
Sounds great! Glad u found something. I still have my RecTec Trailblazer, so I am going to hunker down with this PB4VPS2 and be patient.
Good luck and Smoke on!

I just did my grill burn off today. Others tips helped: 1) open door to prime hopper 2) close door when burning pellets sound heard 3) set temp to 350 degrees manually (factory set is 5F). Exterior temp is 30F in WV but cabinet temp read 40F before stating. 4) took 45 minutes to reach 350F . So need to increase set temp by at least 10 degrees to offset. Need to use 2.4 gHz for WIFI. Cooked brats needed longer due to exterior 30F temp and 10 degree offset needed. Needed to remove rubber backing on handle in order for door latch to work.

Well....good and bad news.

Bad news.....got my Controller back.....and they didn't do anything to it.....no note or email or update of my case. Ugh. So I called and talked to a manager there....and they told me that whoever is telling us that the Series 4 can be updated is completely wrong. He said there is no plans whatsoever to change the firmware.....no real apology......just blunt and to the point. Basically....if you don't like the graduations at 25 degs, then you need to return it.

Good news.....I fixed my issue with the WiFi....! When I removed the display from the housing, I noticed that the bottom of the plastic cover sits off from the main board about 1/4 of an inch.....which is the depth of the display on the top of board. So I moved the internal antenna from the underneath the bottom board, where it could not get any signal at all and moved it to the plastic house. Now only the plastic housing is covering the antenna. And.....I immediately got connected, and it is staying connected.....see the picture below of where I placed it. I just used the existing sticky glue that was on the bottom of the antenna to fasten it to the plastic.

So....big question is....to keep it or not. Well...I didn't have any issues with it getting up to 350 degs(about 20mins)....and it held there for the whole burn-in. So I just need to decide whether I need 325 or 375 degs or not. I mainly only use it as a smoker at 180 - 275.....so there is enough graduations between there to keep me happy....and if I want to sear up some wings, I will set it at 400 degs. So, I am disappointed, but not enough to take it back to Lowes, before I cook on it.

I also have plans to check the RTD resistance measurements....and see how the controller sees the Temperature vs the actual Temperaure in the Smoker.....with this new smoker....the RTD is way up high on the second rack from the top.....so the smoker should be much hotter than the others that have theirs near the bottom. Well....time will tell. Smoke on!

1611697297016.png

Latest Discussions

Back