Pit Boss Pro S4 V2 Controller Change

GeekChef

Reaction score
Well....I tried to stay with the Pit Boss controller....but the temperature took off on my twice.....and most other times it would never seem to reach temperature. So I took out their controller(until they get an update) and I installed a spare RecTec controller that I had for my RT-340. I used a piece of Lexan and bought and soldered the pins for the proper Molex and ST RTD connectors, so I could make it swappable. I put it in and did a three probe average of temperature and the RecTec controller allows you to add an offset to the RTD measurement, so I took the average of the temperature across the grate where the RTD is located. See pic below the temperature within the cabinet at the 3rd Rack grate where the RTD is located is rock solid at 280 degs. Also this controller has 5 deg increments across the entire span....so that is really nice....AND the app just works and has a graph over the entire cook.

The Controller fired up immediately and got to 225 in about 14 mins at 34 degs outside....and I tested it up and down from 200 to 350 and would get to temps really fast and hold it consistently. I did a Hot and Fast Pork butt in the smoker at 280 and it held there for 6 hours....no movement at all. Pellet usage was noticeably less during that cook. I have to say that mechanically hardware wise...this is the best smoker on the market for the price.....maybe even $200 above this price....but now with the RecTec....the controls are perfect too! To be able to clean out the ash and grease is fantastic...and I just love the clean smoke flavor of a vertical smoker. I bought some black paint to cover the Lexan....called Hammered Black....it is textured, so hopefully it will blend in and you won't even notice the cover.

1614003798603.png
1614003320702.png
1614003917272.png
1614003254408.png
1614003397463.png

1614003462907.png
1614003871636.png

I have not purchased a smoker grill. In the market and looking at my options. I am factoring in the extra cost of a 3rd party PID controller (CampChef, SmokeDaddy, GMG, RecTec, possibly others).
I want a WiFi controller so I can monitor from my smartphone. this is also finding a controller that is well supported and a smartphone APP that has company support behind.

I am thinking about a similar mod to a Pit Boss pellet smoker/grill. I like the build quality of the mechanical parts of the Pit Boss, but I am expecting a disappointing experience with their PID controller. They don't support over the air updates, so any Pit Boss controller updates would require a return to the factory. Pit Boss's smartphone app is supported by a 3rd party. Good and bad. Good it is a SW company, bad is that part of PitBoss. There is deniability of taking ownership when something goes wrong (it is not a Pitt Boss problem, no it is the App problem or the other way around).

My current top of the list choices are Pit Boss 850 ($499) + CampChef WiFi controller ($200). Total under $700. Less expensive than a CampChef, GMG, RecTec, ... Waiting for a possible spring sale at Lowes on the Pit Boss products. I am still sorting through possible PID controllers I can choose from.

It is good to see others that have been successful with the controller change to their Pit Boss vertical and/or pellet grills.

The Lexan fit/adjustment shim is a great idea. Easier than cutting sheetmetal and it does not warp.

Is it possible to switch out the controller on a 1150 Pro Series to a better one (like Rec Tec)?

Would that solve the temperature fluctuations that I am experiencing with this grill?

I have not purchased a smoker grill. In the market and looking at my options. I am factoring in the extra cost of a 3rd party PID controller (CampChef, SmokeDaddy, GMG, RecTec, possibly others).
I want a WiFi controller so I can monitor from my smartphone. this is also finding a controller that is well supported and a smartphone APP that has company support behind.

I am thinking about a similar mod to a Pit Boss pellet smoker/grill. I like the build quality of the mechanical parts of the Pit Boss, but I am expecting a disappointing experience with their PID controller. They don't support over the air updates, so any Pit Boss controller updates would require a return to the factory. Pit Boss's smartphone app is supported by a 3rd party. Good and bad. Good it is a SW company, bad is that part of PitBoss. There is deniability of taking ownership when something goes wrong (it is not a Pitt Boss problem, no it is the App problem or the other way around).

My current top of the list choices are Pit Boss 850 ($499) + CampChef WiFi controller ($200). Total under $700. Less expensive than a CampChef, GMG, RecTec, ... Waiting for a possible spring sale at Lowes on the Pit Boss products. I am still sorting through possible PID controllers I can choose from.

It is good to see others that have been successful with the controller change to their Pit Boss vertical and/or pellet grills.

The Lexan fit/adjustment shim is a great idea. Easier than cutting sheetmetal and it does not warp.
Just FYI.....there is a guy on Youtube and Facebook who has a lot of followers and that tends to get him insider information.....he stated that the Series 4 Rev 2 Pro is getting a new controller software. They are NOT accepting the current lot back for flashing.....which sucks.....so I am assuming that they will be getting ALOT of returns inside the warranty for ones that "fail"....hint hint.

With my setup above, I can now swap back and forth in about 5 minutes.....so it will be easy to send in my "broken" controller for an updated one and still cook on my Rec Tec unit.

One more note.....I love this smoker.....I had never had a vertical smoker and it is wonderful....way good purchase for just the mechanical bones of the system. Best in the market in my opinion....so when they get the controller issues fixed...this will be the one to get.

Is it possible to switch out the controller on a 1150 Pro Series to a better one (like Rec Tec)?

Would that solve the temperature fluctuations that I am experiencing with this grill?
Yes and No. It would be possible....but there are three items to consider.

1. The 1150 Pro has an issue with heat getting past the deflector shield...and there is a mechanical mod that is cheap for that....so you would need to get that mod first.

2. RecTec will not sell controllers to anyone that does not have a RecTec....so you would have to find another vendor like smoke daddy....or a friend that could buy you one that has a RecTec now.

3. The 1150 Pro has an update that you can send the current controller in for that fixes the issue with the input lag and the 25 deg increments to 10 deg change. There is a youtube video on this change....search for Mr Garage and 1150 firmware.....great easy to understand content.

It’s a shame that there is a need to replace the Pit Boss 850 controller with something that actually functions well. I looked at the CampChef wifi controller that you mention. It appears to have the correct connection wires, but I can’t find the Lexan fit/adjustment shim needed. Would you post the information on which one you’re using?

I’m kinda new with my Navigator 850. What 👁 learned so far it’s like a Motorcycle or a Car!! You always got to do something to make it Better!!
👁 put 2 external thermometers one left & right. Smoking is Old School you got to stay with it. All this High Tech 👁 can’t Trust. Once 👁 got the Temps under control 👁 can move my Meats wear 👁 feel best .
👁 do use a Smoke Tube works great, to keep the Ashes from going all over the place 👁 put the tube in a painters mud tray. Works great ‼️
HarborFreight sells these magnetic trays that I use for my flippers and tools, also works great to keep your cover down during the Windy days.
Just my opinion and where I’m at today .
Tomorrow may be different

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 125
I’m kinda new with my Navigator 850. What 👁 learned so far it’s like a Motorcycle or a Car!! You always got to do something to make it Better!!
👁 put 2 external thermometers one left & right. Smoking is Old School you got to stay with it. All this High Tech 👁 can’t Trust. Once 👁 got the Temps under control 👁 can move my Meats wear 👁 feel best .
👁 do use a Smoke Tube works great, to keep the Ashes from going all over the place 👁 put the tube in a painters mud tray. Works great ‼️
HarborFreight sells these magnetic trays that I use for my flippers and tools, also works great to keep your cover down during the Windy days.
Hey, those are excellent tips and mods. I'll try those on my 850. I didn't have the front shelf so I made one. I like it very much. the only problem i have is the side tray has holes in it, not sure what the purpose for it was except maybe to put your food on it, but then it would drip everywhere

Attachments

• 20200819_114055.jpg
    20200819_114055.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 43
Dude....I love that Smoke Tube holder using the painter's mud tray.... a wonderful idea. Am going to test this out this weekend...thanks for sharing...!

👁 didn’t say, but 👁 drilled 2 holes and put a long bolt through it thinking to let air under it,plus it kept it on a nice angle. See pic .
I noticed the bolt. A great addition to allow airflow around the smoker tube.

Ran another test.....to even out the grating temperature on the 3rd grate from the bottom where the RTD is located. With the ability to Offset the RTD setting on the RecTec controller, you are able to get it spot on with grate temperatures.

I set it to Low which is 180 degs....smoked leg quarters for an hour and then sent it to 350....and it got there in 17 mins....really fast! Skin crisped right up and was amazing.! Until they fix the Pit Boss....if you have a friend that has a RecTec grill....then ask them to get you a controller....it made this smoker as perfect a smoker I have ever owned.

1614347546937.png
1614347573820.png

1614347705545.png

Well....I tried to stay with the Pit Boss controller....but the temperature took off on my twice.....and most other times it would never seem to reach temperature. So I took out their controller(until they get an update) and I installed a spare RecTec controller that I had for my RT-340. I used a piece of Lexan and bought and soldered the pins for the proper Molex and ST RTD connectors, so I could make it swappable. I put it in and did a three probe average of temperature and the RecTec controller allows you to add an offset to the RTD measurement, so I took the average of the temperature across the grate where the RTD is located. See pic below the temperature within the cabinet at the 3rd Rack grate where the RTD is located is rock solid at 280 degs. Also this controller has 5 deg increments across the entire span....so that is really nice....AND the app just works and has a graph over the entire cook.

The Controller fired up immediately and got to 225 in about 14 mins at 34 degs outside....and I tested it up and down from 200 to 350 and would get to temps really fast and hold it consistently. I did a Hot and Fast Pork butt in the smoker at 280 and it held there for 6 hours....no movement at all. Pellet usage was noticeably less during that cook. I have to say that mechanically hardware wise...this is the best smoker on the market for the price.....maybe even $200 above this price....but now with the RecTec....the controls are perfect too! To be able to clean out the ash and grease is fantastic...and I just love the clean smoke flavor of a vertical smoker. I bought some black paint to cover the Lexan....called Hammered Black....it is textured, so hopefully it will blend in and you won't even notice the cover.
Hey GeekChef, do you happen to have any pictures close up of the plugs/wiring that you installed/soldered?...I just bought this smoker and have a RT-590 so I can get the controller...Thanks in advance, Todd

Latest Discussions

Back