Pit Boss Pro S4 V2 Controller Change

Yes.....here are some pics and links. Note that I bought the connectors and cables, so I could quickly connect the RecTec controller and then swap back to the Pitboss when they fixed the firmware or if I sold the smoker. I didn't want to have to unsolder anything later on. I am going to assume you have nothing, so here is everything I used.....but I had most of it already.

1. Molex Connectors: Molex
2. RTD Cables: RTD Cables
3. Insulated Female Quick Disconnect Spade Terminals: Spade Lugs
4. Multi-color wire: Colored Wire (16 or 18 GA)

You have to lower your pellet level and remove the screws on the outside to get to the wiring inside the pellet hopper. With the lid off, you can see the Pitboss wiring below:
1616519522793.png

I used the new wire and crimped on spade lugs on one end of a White, Black, Yellow, Red and Purple wire cut to about 20" or so. I then proceeded to crimp on the Molex connector pins, but decided to solder the pins to the wire for a better connection. See below how to combine the BLACK/WHITE and RED/YELLOW and PURPLE onto 3 molex connectors. Make sure you get the orientation correct following the point of the Molex....to ensure hot and neutral are aligned correctly. See below

1616519809345.png

1616519845074.png

Then connect the Spade Lug to the RecTec with the following color code and labels. The white goes to the Neutral spade....it was hanging off on this picture. After this....connect the male Molex you just soldered or crimped to the PitBoss Smoker Female Molex connectors. Follow the color code.
1616519994775.png

And Finally....you need to connect up the RTD cable.....which I used Female Spade lugs on one of the RTD cables that were from Amazon above. Orientation or color code does not matter here, because it is a non-polarity based resistor.

1616520217891.png

After drilling, cutting and mounting the RecTec lexan plate, I decided to paint the Lexan and used an enamal paint from Walmart....called "Black Hammered Metal".....two coats and it looks just like it was factory made....at least I think so.

1616520458702.png

btw....the controller is AMAZING on this smoker....heats up fast. MAKE sure that do some initial testing of the grate temperature vs the RecTec Reading.....the RecTec has a Bias Offset for the Main RTD reading.....and so I used 3 probes to measure the left, center and right of the 3rd grate where the RTD is located. I took an average of those readings and used it to "offset" the RTD reading to make it equal the grate temperature. Now my RecTec reads the same as that grate and ensures I am smoking at the correct temperature.

1616520990503.png
1616521017436.png

Let me know if you need anything further to help set it up.

Yes.....here are some pics and links. Note that I bought the connectors and cables, so I could quickly connect the RecTec controller and then swap back to the Pitboss when they fixed the firmware or if I sold the smoker. I didn't want to have to unsolder anything later on. I am going to assume you have nothing, so here is everything I used.....but I had most of it already.

You have to lower your pellet level and remove the screws on the outside to get to the wiring inside the pellet hopper. With the lid off, you can see the Pitboss wiring below:
View attachment 965

I used the new wire and crimped on spade lugs on one end of a White, Black, Yellow, Red and Purple wire cut to about 20" or so. I then proceeded to crimp on the Molex connector pins, but decided to solder the pins to the wire for a better connection. See below how to combine the BLACK/WHITE and RED/YELLOW and PURPLE onto 3 molex connectors. Make sure you get the orientation correct following the point of the Molex....to ensure hot and neutral are aligned correctly. See below

View attachment 966

View attachment 967

Then connect the Spade Lug to the RecTec with the following color code and labels. The white goes to the Neutral spade....it was hanging off on this picture. After this....connect the male Molex you just soldered or crimped to the PitBoss Smoker Female Molex connectors. Follow the color code.
View attachment 968

And Finally....you need to connect up the RTD cable.....which I used Female Spade lugs on one of the RTD cables that were from Amazon above. Orientation or color code does not matter here, because it is a non-polarity based resistor.

View attachment 969

After drilling, cutting and mounting the RecTec lexan plate, I decided to paint the Lexan and used an enamal paint from Walmart....called "Black Hammered Metal".....two coats and it looks just like it was factory made....at least I think so.

View attachment 970

btw....the controller is AMAZING on this smoker....heats up fast. MAKE sure that do some initial testing of the grate temperature vs the RecTec Reading.....the RecTec has a Bias Offset for the Main RTD reading.....and so I used 3 probes to measure the left, center and right of the 3rd grate where the RTD is located. I took an average of those readings and used it to "offset" the RTD reading to make it equal the grate temperature. Now my RecTec reads the same as that grate and ensures I am smoking at the correct temperature.

View attachment 971 View attachment 972

Thanks!!!...Very good info and details...Much appreciated GeekChef!!!

I called Pit Boss complaining about the controller issue. Not only was it not adjustable in increments smaller than 25° the temp on the grill didn't match my other thermometer. Long story short they sent me a new controller and this one is adjustable in increments of 10°. So if you guys can get them to replace your controller looks like you'll get the newer version

I called Pit Boss complaining about the controller issue. Not only was it not adjustable in increments smaller than 25° the temp on the grill didn't match my other thermometer. Long story short they sent me a new controller and this one is adjustable in increments of 10°. So if you guys can get them to replace your controller looks like you'll get the newer version
1632580060769121993163782606823.jpg

I have the Brunswick verticle smoker. Temperature indicator from the inside of the smoker is about 50° Higher than the actual temperature inside the smoker. I called and complained and they sent me a new internal smoking probe. No change with the problem. I guess I can use smoker as long as I set the temperature 50° above the desired temperature. However that sucks I didn’t pay $650 to have a smoker that really doesn’t work right. How can I trust the temperature in this kind of situation? My previous camp chef smoker worked like a charm. I would never buy another pit boss. I read the suggestions of others about putting a RecTec regulator in the grill or similar solutions but I am a total technophobe and do not feel capable of making that kind of switch. Besides why should I pay that kind of money for a grill and have to spend another $200 to make it work the way it was supposed to go begin with?

I have the Brunswick verticle smoker. Temperature indicator from the inside of the smoker is about 50° Higher than the actual temperature inside the smoker. I called and complained and they sent me a new internal smoking probe. No change with the problem. I guess I can use smoker as long as I set the temperature 50° above the desired temperature. However that sucks I didn’t pay $650 to have a smoker that really doesn’t work right. How can I trust the temperature in this kind of situation? My previous camp chef smoker worked like a charm. I would never buy another pit boss. I read the suggestions of others about putting a RecTec regulator in the grill or similar solutions but I am a total technophobe and do not feel capable of making that kind of switch. Besides why should I pay that kind of money for a grill and have to spend another $200 to make it work the way it was supposed to go begin with?
Call Pit Boss Tech Support back and tell them, they make things right. New controller and maybe a new probe?

Well....I tried to stay with the Pit Boss controller....but the temperature took off on my twice.....and most other times it would never seem to reach temperature. So I took out their controller(until they get an update) and I installed a spare RecTec controller that I had for my RT-340. I used a piece of Lexan and bought and soldered the pins for the proper Molex and ST RTD connectors, so I could make it swappable. I put it in and did a three probe average of temperature and the RecTec controller allows you to add an offset to the RTD measurement, so I took the average of the temperature across the grate where the RTD is located. See pic below the temperature within the cabinet at the 3rd Rack grate where the RTD is located is rock solid at 280 degs. Also this controller has 5 deg increments across the entire span....so that is really nice....AND the app just works and has a graph over the entire cook.

The Controller fired up immediately and got to 225 in about 14 mins at 34 degs outside....and I tested it up and down from 200 to 350 and would get to temps really fast and hold it consistently. I did a Hot and Fast Pork butt in the smoker at 280 and it held there for 6 hours....no movement at all. Pellet usage was noticeably less during that cook. I have to say that mechanically hardware wise...this is the best smoker on the market for the price.....maybe even $200 above this price....but now with the RecTec....the controls are perfect too! To be able to clean out the ash and grease is fantastic...and I just love the clean smoke flavor of a vertical smoker. I bought some black paint to cover the Lexan....called Hammered Black....it is textured, so hopefully it will blend in and you won't even notice the cover.

View attachment 844View attachment 841View attachment 846View attachment 840View attachment 842

View attachment 843View attachment 845
I really like the location! My controler is right below the door and gets dripped on often.

View attachment 965

View attachment 966

View attachment 967

View attachment 968

View attachment 969

View attachment 970

View attachment 971 View attachment 972

Nice work!

Nice work!
Thanks....!! It is still working wonderfully over 1.5 years later. Is amazing and accurate....never a single issue with temperature anymore. Highly recommend upgrading to a different controller....either RecTeq or other. Off the shelf versions like Savannah Stoker or ones on Amazon.....Non-PID are about $50.....PID about $180-$250.

Good luck if you decide to upgrade.....just hit me up if you need any help......

Thanks....!! It is still working wonderfully over 1.5 years later. Is amazing and accurate....never a single issue with temperature anymore. Highly recommend upgrading to a different controller....either RecTeq or other. Off the shelf versions like Savannah Stoker or ones on Amazon.....Non-PID are about $50.....PID about $180-$250.

Good luck if you decide to upgrade.....just hit me up if you need any help......
I have a FIREBOARD 6 channel with fan drive I use on my stick burner cabinet. It was originally an LP unit. I built a firebox and stripped out the gas burner. The FIREBOARD has time/heat graphing and each channel can be calibrated. The fan drive keeps the smoker on temp setting +-2*, less than 4* swing on the stick burner is way cool. This FIREBOARD unit is small and mobile. It works on Green Eggs and huge stick burners. My unit will drive 2 ea 15cfm fans if needed. 10 cfm works on my unit.

Products – FireBoard Labs

My Pit Boss PBV5 COMP holds temperature very well. It is 4 months old now. I would like to see better firmware/software. .y GMG allows me to set infinite cooking steps: i.e.
1- smoke 3.5 hours @ 160*
2- cook 14 hours @ 225*
3- hold 4 hours (~150*)

Then I can select climate. Cold settings the controler is more aggressive than say summer settings. There are alot of tweaks the user can do. There is a door open sensor, when door opens causing a quick temp drop it shuts off air flow for a user defined duration. At the end of that time the fan goes to max and temp comes up with little to no over swing. The magic of PID ( That's how motorvehicle cruise controls work also.)
PID CONTROLER CALCULATIONS- A PID controller receives the process variable from sensors and calculates the corrective action to the control variable (output) based on the error (proportional), the sum of all previous errors (integral), and the error rate of change (derivative).

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back