Pit Boss Pro 850 Temperature Control Needs More Increments

Schvoontz

Reaction score
Hey there!

So, let me start off by saying that this grill/smoker (Pit Boss Pro 850) is AWESOME. The Bluetooth and WiFi options are fantastic, the build is solid, and the ability to finish off with the searing slider is everything I was looking for in a "set it and forget it" smoker.

The one thing that I am wondering is this: I notice that the grill suddenly starts jumping to 50 degree increments after 250 degrees. I really think that the only thing this grill is missing is the ability to cook at, say, 275 degrees. This is not an option right now, as it jumps from 250 to 300 degrees, with no adjustment in between... And then keeps going at 50 degree increments up to max temperature.

There needs to be a new firmware update that would allow for 25 degree adjustments all the way up to max. That would be fantastic. As you know, 25 degrees can make a huge difference. 50 degree jumps in temperature make it impossible to dial in whatever sweet spot we are looking for in order to get results that we want.

Thanks!

Hey there!

So, let me start off by saying that this grill/smoker (Pit Boss Pro 850) is AWESOME. The Bluetooth and WiFi options are fantastic, the build is solid, and the ability to finish off with the searing slider is everything I was looking for in a "set it and forget it" smoker.

The one thing that I am wondering is this: I notice that the grill suddenly starts jumping to 50 degree increments after 250 degrees. I really think that the only thing this grill is missing is the ability to cook at, say, 275 degrees. This is not an option right now, as it jumps from 250 to 300 degrees, with no adjustment in between... And then keeps going at 50 degree increments up to max temperature.

There needs to be a new firmware update that would allow for 25 degree adjustments all the way up to max. That would be fantastic. As you know, 25 degrees can make a huge difference. 50 degree jumps in temperature make it impossible to dial in whatever sweet spot we are looking for in order to get results that we want.

Thanks!
I totally agree with you on the temperature increments.
Minimum should be 25 degrees increments, maybe even 10.
Bit I disagree with you on the app, it just sucks and really does not work.

Yeah, 5 degrees would be fantastic! Is there anyone from the Pit Boss company on these forums? Perhaps they could address this and let us know if PB can give us a firmware update that can fix this issue?

I talked to a rep. of Flame Tech and he told me there is no firmware update that will address this issue, he sounded like it cannot be done, Pit Boss should work with a new controller Mfg. and come up with a direct replacement for these units.
But I doubt anything will be done.

I talked to a rep. of Flame Tech and he told me there is no firmware update that will address this issue, he sounded like it cannot be done, Pit Boss should work with a new controller Mfg. and come up with a direct replacement for these units.
But I doubt anything will be done.
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I still like the smoker, it's going to do everything I need to do. I just wish that it had more temperature control for when I figure out how to smoke properly. I'm a beginner, seems like this might be the right grill for me, because it's all so locked-down. I'll get a better one a few years down the road.

Thanks again!

The more I use mine, the more I like it.
This wknd. did ribs, set at 225, the smoke was constant and plenty of it.
Before I thought I was not getting enough smoke, but it seems like it gets better with more use. Plus watch the auger feed ratio. I'm wondering if yours does what mine does. The left side is obviously hotter than the right side so I will try to find a way to fix that. Otherwise it's a good unit.

The more I use mine, the more I like it.
This wknd. did ribs, set at 225, the smoke was constant and plenty of it.
Before I thought I was not getting enough smoke, but it seems like it gets better with more use. Plus watch the auger feed ratio. I'm wondering if yours does what mine does. The left side is obviously hotter than the right side so I will try to find a way to fix that. Otherwise it's a good unit.
Agreed, I did notice that the left side is hotter than the right at the level of the grill racks... That's because of the severe pitch of the shield, which I assume has to be pitched that hard so that the grease from cooking will pour down into the chute to the drip bucket. Seems that at 225 degrees, that shouldn't be too much of a problem... Perhaps put the thicker part of a brisket to the left, for example?

I saw on another thread that someone is preparing to get out a grinder and a welder to change the pitch of the heat shield, which would work fine for leveling it off and therefore evening out the heat, but that also seems to run the risk of allowing all of the grease to pool on the heat shield without it running down the gutters into the spout to the drip bucket.

I'm also a welder, but I'm going to leave mine as-is for now. I'm not looking for competition-level smoking, just looking to make it good enough to enjoy.

As for the temperature controls, next time I get a pellet smoker/grill, I am definitely going to make fine temperature control one of my priorities. This is the one thing that Pit Boss really dropped the ball on with these new Pit Boss Pro grills.

Agreed, I did notice that the left side is hotter than the right at the level of the grill racks... That's because of the severe pitch of the shield, which I assume has to be pitched that hard so that the grease from cooking will pour down into the chute to the drip bucket. Seems that at 225 degrees, that shouldn't be too much of a problem... Perhaps put the thicker part of a brisket to the left, for example?

I saw on another thread that someone is preparing to get out a grinder and a welder to change the pitch of the heat shield, which would work fine for leveling it off and therefore evening out the heat, but that also seems to run the risk of allowing all of the grease to pool on the heat shield without it running down the gutters into the spout to the drip bucket.

I'm also a welder, but I'm going to leave mine as-is for now. I'm not looking for competition-level smoking, just looking to make it good enough to enjoy.

As for the temperature controls, next time I get a pellet smoker/grill, I am definitely going to make fine temperature control one of my priorities. This is the one thing that Pit Boss really dropped the ball on with these new Pit Boss Pro grills.
I am thinking of welding a section just to the left of the fire box to stop the upward flow of heat, shaped around the square auger housing, maybe tack it first to see if it will work.
I agree with you that the heat is travelling up towards the left. I added two thermometers to monitor better.

Attachments

• 20201226_110334_resized.jpg
    20201226_110334_resized.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 87
Hey there!

Thanks!
We all feel the same way: cheated out of great recipes calling for 275 degrees.

I totally agree with you on the temperature increments.
Minimum should be 25 degrees increments, maybe even 10.
Bit I disagree with you on the app, it just sucks and really does not work.
I’m having same problems and getting frustrating. Going to try another Cook, This time 200* only yes P4 + pellet tube.
Total of 8 cooks and I still don’t trust it
Yet !! I’ve have mine for a couple of months and now they came out with a different controller go figure!!
My Smoker is the 850 Navigator. Having no Chimney might be a issue anybody think.
Joe U.

anyone here with an 850 Pro Series?
does yours have the flat plate around the fire pot like the 1150 has?

Latest Discussions

Back