Pit Boss PB150PPS Portable First Cook and impressions.

GeekChef

Reaction score
Had the burn-off and first cook for my PB150PPS Pro from Lowes. Got it for $197 after a 10% off coupon code.

During the burn off I got a back-burn up the auger.....was really disappointed...but struggled through to empty the hopper and push out the burnt pellets. I loaded it up and again and ran it at 250 for 1 hour.....then 350 for 45 mins. The chicken came out smokey and juicy.....was really amazing...!!

Clean up was a snap....but will likely foil the bottom if I don't plan on opening up the flame shield....that way it will be super quick cleanup. It is a bit heavy, but I believe I will be using this a lot as my daily driver, instead of firing up the gasser or the Pro Series 4. Also....I have not done a test for temperature across the grating....as I am sure it is varying, as I was running at 350 and it ran about 300 degs at the front middle of the grate. This by no means affected the cook....the chicken was very evenly cooked....just about perfect....with the skin not completely crispy....but likely would have been, had I pumped up the temp to 450 or 475.

My first Mod will likely be to install a button/relay that will feed the auger....but not the fan/igniter.....when the unit is powered up but in the Off position. That way if I have a back burn....then I can shut it off and just feed the pellets into the burn cup without having the igniter on or the fan blowing hot ash all over the place and stoking the pellets. I Will take a look at how to do that, and if anyone is interested in seeing how to do this....let me know.

One additional item....there is a cheap felt that they use around the rim....mine is already coming off from the rear of the lid....and I saw this on a post at Lowes. I called Pit Boss and they are sending me a new one....but I will likely use an alternative adhesive or get some really good high temperature felt off of Amazon. I used some for my Kamado Akorn and it stayed on through 650 degs. Just FYI....not a game-changer by any means...but thought someone might like to know.

Attachments

• PB150 chicken.JPG
    PB150 chicken.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 495
  • PB150 Grill.JPG
    PB150 Grill.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Had the burn-off and first cook for my PB150PPS Pro from Lowes. Got it for $197 after a 10% off coupon code.

During the burn off I got a back-burn up the auger.....was really disappointed...but struggled through to empty the hopper and push out the burnt pellets. I loaded it up and again and ran it at 250 for 1 hour.....then 350 for 45 mins. The chicken came out smokey and juicy.....was really amazing...!!

Clean up was a snap....but will likely foil the bottom if I don't plan on opening up the flame shield....that way it will be super quick cleanup. It is a bit heavy, but I believe I will be using this a lot as my daily driver, instead of firing up the gasser or the Pro Series 4. Also....I have not done a test for temperature across the grating....as I am sure it is varying, as I was running at 350 and it ran about 300 degs at the front middle of the grate. This by no means affected the cook....the chicken was very evenly cooked....just about perfect....with the skin not completely crispy....but likely would have been, had I pumped up the temp to 450 or 475.

My first Mod will likely be to install a button/relay that will feed the auger....but not the fan/igniter.....when the unit is powered up but in the Off position. That way if I have a back burn....then I can shut it off and just feed the pellets into the burn cup without having the igniter on or the fan blowing hot ash all over the place and stoking the pellets. I Will take a look at how to do that, and if anyone is interested in seeing how to do this....let me know.

One additional item....there is a cheap felt that they use around the rim....mine is already coming off from the rear of the lid....and I saw this on a post at Lowes. I called Pit Boss and they are sending me a new one....but I will likely use an alternative adhesive or get some really good high temperature felt off of Amazon. I used some for my Kamado Akorn and it stayed on through 650 degs. Just FYI....not a game-changer by any means...but thought someone might like to know.
Have same problems with back-burn, I think the burn pot is just not deep enough. I stopped using it under 250, I have not experienced it again, at 225 it will happen over time, it's disappointing and I would return it if I could. Food comes out great and it kinda does work well other than that flaw.

Have same problems with back-burn, I think the burn pot is just not deep enough. I stopped using it under 250, I have not experienced it again, at 225 it will happen over time, it's disappointing and I would return it if I could. Food comes out great and it kinda does work well other than that flaw.
So it is low temps for u? Mine happened at 350 during the burn in. I just did Jerky on smoke setting and it was perfect for 5 hours. Am going to see if I can get my burn pot deeper about 1-2" and lower the igniter. I have a friend who is a welder and I am going to see how deep the competition's burn pots are for their portables.

I am also going to add a switch to allow the auger to run when the smoker is plugged in but in the Off position. That way I can empty the auger out of burning pellets without the igniter or the fan being on to stoke the fire. Sounds like a lot of mods, but this smoker is the perfect size for traveling

So it is low temps for u? Mine happened at 350 during the burn in. I just did Jerky on smoke setting and it was perfect for 5 hours. Am going to see if I can get my burn pot deeper about 1-2" and lower the igniter. I have a friend who is a welder and I am going to see how deep the competition's burn pots are for their portables.

I am also going to add a switch to allow the auger to run when the smoker is plugged in but in the Off position. That way I can empty the auger out of burning pellets without the igniter or the fan being on to stoke the fire. Sounds like a lot of mods, but this smoker is the perfect size for traveling
I have a spare controller off my grilla silverback I may try. The burn back issue is frustrating. Can you adjust P settings on the stock Pit Boss controller?

I forgot to write back to you....but since I have done this trick....I have not had a single burn-back. Per what someone else did.....can't remember who mentioned it.....I added a 2x4 to the left side of the smoker to tilt it to the right....and since I did this....no burn back....even at Smoke or 200 degrees! It has worked flawlessly for over 12 cooks now....no issues. I love it better than my larger vertical, because it is easier to clean and much quicker to heatup. On my driveway, it would actually slope to the left....and it would allow the burning pellets to roll back towards the auger.....now they roll away from the auger. Try it and see if it works for you.....might take more height...but this works great for me...!

1626874913774.png

I forgot to write back to you....but since I have done this trick....I have not had a single burn-back. Per what someone else did.....can't remember who mentioned it.....I added a 2x4 to the left side of the smoker to tilt it to the right....and since I did this....no burn back....even at Smoke or 200 degrees! It has worked flawlessly for over 12 cooks now....no issues. I love it better than my larger vertical, because it is easier to clean and much quicker to heatup. On my driveway, it would actually slope to the left....and it would allow the burning pellets to roll back towards the auger.....now they roll away from the auger. Try it and see if it works for you.....might take more height...but this works great for me...!

View attachment 1393
Interesting, I wonder if adding different, adjustable feet could help as well? I’ll have try the 2x4. Thanks for the tip.

Just curious...what are the dimensions of the main cooking grid versus the warming rack? Pit Boss lists the cooking area as 256 square inches, but I assume that includes both racks.

Thanks!

Just curious...what are the dimensions of the main cooking grid versus the warming rack? Pit Boss lists the cooking area as 256 square inches, but I assume that includes both racks.

Thanks!
Lowe’s has the firebox dimensions on there site under specifications.

Thanks!
Believe it is 191 sq inches.....

Firebox Width (Inches)
Firebox Depth (Inches)

warming rack at 65 sq inches.....

Just got my 150 PPS table top. The manual refers to a Power Button, but I can’t find it! Is there one?

Tried the tilt method, but still had burnback, and when I called they told me that the controller should not slow the fan down on smoke setting. Told me they were sending me another controller, that was on September 15. Contacted again on E-mail, but still nothing. I think that it is just a bad design, and they can't fix it. May deepen my firepot if I don't get some kind of service.

Tried the tilt method, but still had burnback, and when I called they told me that the controller should not slow the fan down on smoke setting. Told me they were sending me another controller, that was on September 15. Contacted again on E-mail, but still nothing. I think that it is just a bad design, and they can't fix it. May deepen my firepot if I don't get some kind of service.
Ugh...sounds like forgot about you. I would have started calling them every day after 30 days!

The Asmoke 350 has a burn pot that is open underneath with rods that extend across the bottom. When the pellets burn into ash, it falls through to a tray that you just slide out and toss the ashes. If I could get one of those smokers, then I would...but for now...I am staying with the Pitboss.

1639508441967.png

Latest Discussions

Back