Pit Boss Lockhart Controller

MonnieRock

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Considering the Lockhart model for my first Pit Boss or the Pro Series Elite 1600. Was reading the Lockhart manual and have a question for the Lockhart owners.

On page 18, understanding the control board, it says
Press and turn the dial (When “SET“ selected as shown in the picture 2) in order to select from any of the thirteen preset temperatures, between 65-260°C / 150-500°F.

Assuming S for smoke, H for high are two of the thirteen, what are the 11 other presets as far as temperature?

Thank you,
Monnie

S (=160), 180, 200 --then in 25 Deg. increments up to H.
I have only maxed mine out at 400 for "burn off" after long cook.

I had problems with my "early model" Lockhart controller (Feb '20) and had to get the controller replaced.
I also replaced a Temp sensor, and ignitor -- All under warranty parts.
Once I got the bugs out-- I wouldn't trade it for another!

HuntJ08,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Looks like the controller is more than adequate. Myself, do not need 1°F or 5°F increments.

Which temperature sensor did you have to replace?

Really like the idea of the two chambers, the main box and the cabinet. Going in understanding the cabinet is roughly 100°F below the main box. One would think in the summer where you and I live, the differences would be less.

Have you done any testing to see the deltas in temperature in the main box, left-->center-->right ?

Thanks again,
Monnie

I had to replace the main cabinet sensor. It was on B/O from PB, so I bought one on Amazon for @ $10. Now I have the PB one for backup/future replacement.
For the ignitor replacement, I did find when changing, that the mfr. plant did NOT tighten the original one in place. I think that had something to do with the ERR code that I was originally getting. Once changed and tightened, no more problems.

I have not checked the diff in temps within the main box, only to confirm that if I use the removable rack within main cabinet, that the temps do cook at a higher temp. Just be careful there.
Stay away from cooking directly over the sear plate openings. This area cooks too fast for a slow cook.

I will say that by using a separate temp gauge in the upper cabinet that the temps will ACTUALLY run @ 20 deg. hotter than what the digital is reading.
Once you get multiple cooks on the grill and learn its cooking patterns, you'll love it.

Note: PB will throw parts at you for replacement. Just be sure to register it!

HuntJ08,

Great feedback !

Curious, on the Lockhart, on the left hand side of the drip pan/sear plate, does the radius of the main box retainer match the radius of the drip pan/sear plate so it prevents hot air getting directly on the ambient temperature probe?

Where is the ambient probe for the cabinet located?

Thank you again,
Monnie

NO. It doesn't cover the probe, but allows heat to move by it.

The probe is on the LH side will just above the grate level.
It is sitting in a "box" / "shield" so that it is not getting direct heat.

Easy change if needed.

HuntJ08,

Maybe I was not clear enough in my question, need my hands to talk correctly lol

Curious, on the Lockhart, on the left hand side of the drip pan/sear plate, does the radius of the main box retainer match the radius of the drip pan/sear plate so it prevents hot air getting directly on the ambient temperature probe?

On some models, the left hand support that the drip pan/sear plate sits on is flat and does not match the radius of the drip pan/sear plate. This allows hot air directly from the firebox to travel between the gap which ends up right where the main box ambient temperature probe is located. On the Lockhart, is that support curved or flat?

Here is an example of what I am asking that this modification solves with nice photographs.

Smoke Like A Boss Heat Deflector Mod

Thanks again for all your help
Monnie

There are only 2 brackets that the deflector sits on. 2 prongs = 2 slits on the deflector.

here is a picture if it helps of the probe, grate and deflector below

Don't know if this answers your question.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 34
HuntJ08,

Thanks so much for the picture. That baby is seasoned !!!

Next time I go to wally world, will look at this area and take some pictures.

Thanks for all your interaction !

Monnie

Latest Discussions

Back