Pit Boss Austin XL Mods

Camp Boss

Reaction score
I was just wondering what modifications other members have done to there Pit Boss Austin XL. I have had the grill since they first came out and was ok with it's overall performance but it could be a lot better. I understand that these grills are at the low end/affordable range of pellet grills. The most frustrating issues with the grill are the drastic temperature swings (15 deg. +/-) and that hot spot right above the burn pot. Not to mention there heat distribution across the grill is also horrible at best. The top rack I have never used because it just seems to be always in the way. Other than that I actually like the grill. So I think it's time to tear this thing apart and do some much needed upgrades.

1st Upgrade:

This is a very nice front shelf upgrade that is easy to install and is a wonderful product. Shipping was very fast and the product came with all items to attach to the grill. I give it a solid 5 stars.
7.jpg

2nd Upgrade:

I don't have a picture of mine so I used there image. This was extremely easy to install and reduced temperature fluctuations.

s-l1600.jpg

3rd Upgrade:

I wanted to upgrade the controller in the grill to something better with more accurate temperature control and have a better temperature selection. At first I was trying to get a Rec Teq controller but ran into issues. They wouldn't sell me one unless I had a serial number and prof of purchase. So I went on a search and found a Camp Chef Woodwind WIFI Bluetooth controller that had a 3 inch color display and could monitor 4 meat probes. Did some research and found that this controller would work on the Pit Boss with a few modifications to the mounting location and installing a new RTD. The RTD is longer so I had to drill a hole in the upper shelf mount. I might just remove it because I have never used that shelf. It just always seems to be in the way. The new adapter plate is 1/16" anodized aluminum plate that is attached with 8/32 stainless steel cap screws.

2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
I was just wondering what modifications other members have done to there Pit Boss Austin XL. I have had the grill since they first came out and was ok with it's overall performance but it could be a lot better. I understand that these grills are at the low end/affordable range of pellet grills. The most frustrating issues with the grill are the drastic temperature swings (15 deg. +/-) and that hot spot right above the burn pot. Not to mention there heat distribution across the grill is also horrible at best. The top rack I have never used because it just seems to be always in the way. Other than that I actually like the grill. So I think it's time to tear this thing apart and do some much needed upgrades.

There is a few mods you can do by switching out the controller for a better one and the defuser. Check out Smoke Daddy he sells a few modifications for Pit Boss grills.

There is a few mods you can do by switching out the controller for a better one and the defuser. Check out Smoke Daddy he sells a few modifications for Pit Boss grills.

Thanks,

I just ordered the 10 gauge heat diffuser to help with that hot spot. Will add it to this post when I get It installed.

Thank You RCAlan.

So, I did a few more modification to the old Pit Boss. I first removed the upper shelf bracket so that it didn’t interfere with the longer CC RTD. My thinking was to get better air circulation next to the probe. I never used that top rack anyway. Next, I got one of those SD heat diffusers and had to cut 1 inch off the bottom and round the top corners to get it to fit. I also installed a rail system in the bottom of the barrel because as I moved the diffuser back and forth it would go out of level. I slotted the original PB heat diffuser so that the new SD diffuser could be moved back and forth. I wanted to keep the dead air space in the grill as I cook in below freezing conditions. I then ran a test at 2 different temperatures with probe 1 next to the hopper and probe 4 next to the smoke stack. I am pleased with the results but I may try a test with the air gap mod removed to see if probe 1 temperature levels out a bit.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 875
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 866
  • g11.jpg
    g11.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 914
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 911
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 893
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 836
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 860
  • g7.jpg
    g7.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 885
  • g13.jpg
    g13.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 879
  • g15.jpg
    g15.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 895
Thank You RCAlan.

So, I did a few more modification to the old Pit Boss. I first removed the upper shelf bracket so that it didn’t interfere with the longer CC RTD. My thinking was to get better air circulation next to the probe. I never used that top rack anyway. Next, I got one of those SD heat diffusers and had to cut 1 inch off the bottom and round the top corners to get it to fit. I also installed a rail system in the bottom of the barrel because as I moved the diffuser back and forth it would go out of level. I slotted the original PB heat diffuser so that the new SD diffuser could be moved back and forth. I wanted to keep the dead air space in the grill as I cook in below freezing conditions. I then ran a test at 2 different temperatures with probe 1 next to the hopper and probe 4 next to the smoke stack. I am pleased with the results but I may try a test with the air gap mod removed to see if probe 1 temperature levels out a bit.

Attachments

• g12.jpg
    g12.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 391
  • g8.jpg
    g8.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 403
  • g9.jpg
    g9.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 376
  • g20.jpg
    g20.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 388
Thank You RCAlan.

Your Mods on your PB Austin XL looks Great Camp Boss, very nice work!! FYI.. When I did that mod of cutting the groves into the stock heat diffuser so that the SD Heat Diffuser could fit in and slide back and forth, over time, the stock heat diffuser started to warp to the point that it became useless. I now just use the SmokeDaddy heat diffuser only and I have it sitting on Metal Rails to protect the base of the Main Cooking Chamber. When sliding the SD Heat Diffuser back and forth, it will start cutting a grove into the base of the cooking chamber and you don’t want that to happen. Both metal rails are about 34 inches in length and I bought them at the “Home Depot” Home improvement store for about $10.00. It was one rail and I had them cut it in half at the store. I used JB Weld Metal adhesive to secure the rails to the base of the cooking chamber and so far 1 year, no problems. One of my other mods, was that I installed a Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Generator Canister to my Austin XL. They’re not cheap... So if you’re always looking for some extra smoke flavor profile on your bbq, start with using a Pellet Smoke Tube first and see how you like that. But if you really miss that True Hardwood, Lump Charcoal smoke flavor profile that your standard Pellet Grills on the market simply can not produce, then the Smoke Daddy P.I.G. Smoke Gen. may be an option for you to consider in the future. Good luck, I know you’re going to definitely see an improvement using the SmokeDaddy heat diffuser in your Austin XL.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Camp Boss, here’s a few pics of how the rails look in my Austin XL that supports the heat diffuser and allows the heat diffuser to slide back and forth. It’s about a $10.00 upgrade and will definitely help protect the lower portion of the cooking chamber from getting damaged over time.
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

Image_4.jpeg

Image_5.jpeg

Camp Boss, here’s a few pics of how the rails look in my Austin XL that supports the heat diffuser and allows the heat diffuser to slide back and forth. It’s about a $10.00 upgrade and will definitely help protect the lower portion of the cooking chamber from getting damaged over time.
View attachment 565
View attachment 564
View attachment 563
View attachment 561
View attachment 562
View attachment 560

Thank You RCAlan.

I appreciate your guidance on the modifications that I have done. I did see that the new diffuser was cutting into the bottom of the grill and this was only after moving it back and forth a few times. I took your advice and installed texturized stainless steel under the guides that I had previously installed in the bottom of the grill. Thank you for all of your help. Camp Boss

32.jpg

I see you have some firebricks in the bottom of the grill. What purpose do they serve and have them helped stabilize temps for you? Thanks for sharing pictures of the mods.

View attachment 564

I see you have some firebricks in the bottom of the grill. What purpose do they serve and have them helped stabilize temps for you? Thanks for sharing pictures of the mods.

The Fire Bricks do help.. I had originally used them when I was using the original Pit Boss Non-PID Controller, to help with the temp swings and to help even out the heat from the left side of the grill, to the right. Now, they are used also to elevate the Smoke Basket off the bottom of the cooking chamber and to help stabilize the rails used to support the Heat Diffuser that slides back and forth over the burn pot as well... I don’t expect the temps to be perfect when I’m using the Smoke Basket, because it’s like having two heat sources going on at the same time, but they do help in stabilizing the temps...
1609870175397.jpeg

1609870434100.jpeg

So yes, they can be helpful in many ways.

Last edited:
Back