Pit Boss 850 Actual Temp on Control

Sterisken

Reaction score
Just curious I have cooked a few times on my 850 and have a issue. After selecting set point let’s say 250 you can watch the actual temp rise to 250 on the control, once it hits this set point the actual temp displays 250 all the time even though I know it’s fluctuating. Now if I bump it up to say 300 you can watch the actual temp rise to 300 then once again all the display shows is the 300 set point not the actual temp in cooking chamber. Just wondering if this is normal for the new controllers not to show the actual temperature in chamber once it reaches set temperature

The Pro 850 I had did the same thing, it showed the temp even though it was not really at that temperature. It took forever for simple cooks and I burned through pellets like crazy. I thought I was going crazy when I first noticed this issue but after testing realized that the barrel temp was not being shown on the screen.

The Pro 850 I had did the same thing, it showed the temp even though it was not really at that temperature. It took forever for simple cooks and I burned through pellets like crazy. I thought I was going crazy when I first noticed this issue but after testing realized that the barrel temp was not being shown on the screen.
Did you ever get the problem solved ?

I have the same issue, PB told me that the displayed temp. is the Average temperature inside the grill.
what the hell does that mean?
they also told me there is NO new controller or updates for the 850, yet someone on here said he got a new controller that is totally different and has 4 meat probe ports. I don't think they have their information correct.

Sterisken I never got it resolved, I was still barely in the 90 day warranty and took it back to Lowe’s

I have the same issue, PB told me that the displayed temp. is the Average temperature inside the grill.
what the hell does that mean?
they also told me there is NO new controller or updates for the 850, yet someone on here said he got a new controller that is totally different and has 4 meat probe ports. I don't think they have their information correct.
I am waiting on a replacement controller for my 850pro. Something got screwed on their first attempt to send one which should have been here last week. I am now waiting an estimated 14 more days. So almost a month to rectify. I will post on my thread when it arrives with an update.

I am waiting on a replacement controller for my 850pro. Something got screwed on their first attempt to send one which should have been here last week. I am now waiting an estimated 14 more days. So almost a month to rectify. I will post on my thread when it arrives with an update.
I have a new controller on the way too. They told me it was in stock but could be up to 14 days.

can either of you guys Chefk85 or Sterisken post a picture of the new controller when you get it?
Pit Boss has told me that there are not any replacement controllers or updates for the PB850PS2.
I told them I read on here that some guys are getting theirs replaced and she said they don't know what they are talking about.
She said she even asked her tech support crew and they are not aware of it. ???

can either of you guys Chefk85 or Sterisken post a picture of the new controller when you get it?
Pit Boss has told me that there are not any replacement controllers or updates for the PB850PS2.
I told them I read on here that some guys are getting theirs replaced and she said they don't know what they are talking about.
Will do, not going to count my chickens before they hatch. Who knows what’s coming if any, was pretty sure fellow took my email so I could track it but nothing has shown up.

First post here...

Purchased the 850 Pro Series, wanted the 1150, but that's another story. I couldn't get the Smoke IT app to work and spent some time with Flame Tech before they determined a bad control board. I saw all of the videos on Youtube about the firmware update. I asked if the board being sent to me could be updated and they said no. I thought this was a waste of time and shipping but whatever. So I finally get the new board and someone at Danson's had created a return for me already. Knowing my luck, I called Danson's just to make sure all was in order. The rep I spoke to said that someone had made a mistake and that there is NOT an update for the 850. I was told to keep my hopes up and that maybe one would be coming. Grrrrrr....

Hi all,
Not an expert but I have had my 850 for over 12 months now. I don’t trust the temperature at all on the controller and I use a digital thermometer and place 2 probes in the grill. This gives me a very accurate reading. What I have found is that the temp varies considerably on both sides of the grill. This gives me a good idea of temperature and adjust accordingly.

So i dont have a picture but i recieved an exact duplicate of the controller it comes with. This one connects to wifi and works like a charm. I do hope and think they may come out with a firmware update someday with smaller temp increments. Also. People are complaining about the display temp not being actual temp of the smoke chamber. I use a seperate probe to monitor smoke chamber temp. I use the display temp as more of a value. Setting 1 through 5 if you wish. On a cold winter day setting it to 300 gets me to about 250 to 275 inside the smoker. Overall you simply cant beat this smoker for the price.

Will do, not going to count my chickens before they hatch. Who knows what’s coming if any, was pretty sure fellow took my email so I could track it but nothing has shown up.
I did not recieve a shipping email or anything like that. I do however have shipping updates enabled from fedex. It turned out to be my controller. Shipped from washington to idaho in about 3 days from the time i talked to the rep who issued a new controller to me. Great customer service! 5 year warranty! Cant beat it. The software developer for the app whom i also talked to said there may be an update coming that will happen over the air via wifi.

So i dont have a picture but i recieved an exact duplicate of the controller it comes with. This one connects to wifi and works like a charm. I do hope and think they may come out with a firmware update someday with smaller temp increments. Also. People are complaining about the display temp not being actual temp of the smoke chamber. I use a seperate probe to monitor smoke chamber temp. I use the display temp as more of a value. Setting 1 through 5 if you wish. On a cold winter day setting it to 300 gets me to about 250 to 275 inside the smoker. Overall you simply cant beat this smoker for the price.

I received my replacement controller but is snowing for the next few days. I hope to replace by next weekend. I smoked a Boston Butt yesterday and old controller was 50 degrees off of the grate temperature. Hopefully new one will be a little closer. I am going to stay on Pit Boss case to improve and update the 850 to be as good as the 1150 seems to be.

Latest Discussions

Back