Pit Boss 700 Classic Temp Problems

don835

Reaction score
Temps are all over the place when I set the controller to any given range. 225 decrees end up 400 or more. What do we need to do to fix this Please.

I had this problem and it was a bad internal temp probe. Call Pit Boss support and leave a call back number. They usually ship them out to you but it takes a long time. I ended up ordering one from Amazon dirt cheap and one day shipping. Then when the Pit Boss probe came in I just kept it as a backup.

I am not for sure that is your problem so that's why I said give them a call. They are helpful when you finally get thru or they call back.

Well, I called support and that was a joke. I was told that 100 degree temp differences could be expected. I was told that you can't run a Pit Boss in direct Sun. When I asked what could be done to get my temp at 225 he said there was no problem with the Grill. I asked about an internal temp probe and he said that was not the problem. I don't know what to do now!!!

Well, I called support and that was a joke. I was told that 100 degree temp differences could be expected. I was told that you can't run a Pit Boss in direct Sun. When I asked what could be done to get my temp at 225 he said there was no problem with the Grill. I asked about an internal temp probe and he said that was not the problem. I don't know what to do now!!!

I have a suggestion so try this.

1. Clean out the fire pot of ashes and pellets.
2. Clean the RTD probe inside the grill with warm water and soap.
3. Set the grill at smoke as you would do during your initial start up. Once the fan turns on and the smoke is gone close the lid.
4. Once the start up phase is completed. Leave the control on smoke until it reaches 145 degrees.
5. When you reach 145 then set the grill to 225 and let run for 15 - 20 minutes before you put food in the grill.

I agree with Pit Boss on the direct sun light as it will cause issue, but not that severe. Now I do agree with the 100 degree difference, but only when you set the grill to 400 and above all Pellet grills go crazy at that temp when sitting in direct sunlight..

225 should not get you a 100 degree difference that is completely false. Try my suggestion and if it still is doing that call Pit Boss back and hopefully the next person will be helpful as it sounds like you need a new controller.

I did exactly as you directed and moved the grill in the shade. I noticed that the temp gage on the lid read 150 degrees before I moved it. The one thing that worked best was setting the temp and letting it stabilize. Temps aren't where they should be yet but I can live with 10 to 15 degrees fluctuation. Thank You for your help...Murph.

cooked 2 racks of st louis ribs this weekend on my pb1100. the temp on the left side matched with the controller and with my probe. the right side was as much as 130 degrees higher according to my probe. my cooker was in the shade. contacted pit boss and they told me the same thing that a 100 difference is normal. i asked them how could they sell a product with such a problem. they told me to watch the cook and rotate the food. their r&d department sure drop the ball.

Back