Pit Boss 1150 heat issue

TMKMatt

Reaction score
Just purchased a 1150 from my local lowes over the weekend. Sadly all of the excitement is melting away fast with the disappointment of this smoker.

It will not maintain Temps and the readout seems to be about 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit off from what the probe and an external thermometer reads.

When you do finally manage to get it hot it overheats within a few seconds. Any help would be great appreciated before I return it to the store and get my money back

Just purchased a 1150 from my local lowes over the weekend. Sadly all of the excitement is melting away fast with the disappointment of this smoker.

It will not maintain Temps and the readout seems to be about 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit off from what the probe and an external thermometer reads.

When you do finally manage to get it hot it overheats within a few seconds. Any help would be great appreciated before I return it to the store and get my money back
I I have the same smoker and it is truly awesome. I am not sure how you were determine your temperature differences. When you see the controller temperature remember that is not the temperature at the grades where you are cooking that is the barrel temperature inside. Also if you were trying to measure ambient temperature with a regular meat probe that is not exactly accurate either. When I put my air temperature probe on the cooking rack temperature on the controller was off by 20 to 30° at first. As the cook went on for a few hours the two temperatures got very close to matching. If you want to be accurate you have to have good air probes or ambient temperature probes not meat probes. I feel like too many people are jumping conclusions on this temperature jump. I am used to a wood burner and you want to see some temperature jumps? This thing will hold temperature almost perfectly and I did not put any mods on it. Just set it at 250° and go for it. Remember also on your controller the very first number is really a letter s and it stands for smoke. When you start your smoke off start it with the s that will put more smoke into your meat then as the meat reaches about 140°, you can crank it up a bit. The probe that is in the number one position can be set for your finished temperature in the meat. Your smoker will cook to the set temperature and then cool down to 180° and keep your meat warm until you're ready to serve it. I cooked chicken and pork my first time just to feel the smoke her out. It was so nice to have the temperatures stay very even and close the entire smoke! Also I should mention that I live in Southern California where it is warm and dry climate. Mine got the temperature very nicely I had to prime it a lot at first because it was starting fresh no pellets in the longer and once I got my temperature up it was fine. I'm not sure how this PID system works but on others that I have used it takes about an hour of the learning cycle and after that it's pretty smooth sailing. If you're really worried about temperature and accuracy get yourself a thermometer something like the smoke by thermoworks. You would take the air probe and attach it to your rack and then you would adjust your dial on a smoker to say 250°. I noticed after you get into the cook for an hour or so the temperature starts to level out anyway. Those two numbers will be within about 10° of each other. Another nice thing is the way this thing Cooks. My meat was very moist! I actually have to get used to this thing and how it Cooks because it is much different from my wood burner. Well anyway just set the temperature at 250 on your dial and go for it. During the cook keep an eye on the temperature on the controller and see how steady it stays through the smoke. That will be your test and I'm guessing from what I saw you'll be just fine. People that are worried about the temperature from one side to the other is no big deal. That is because you will simply put a meat probe in and you will use that for your cooking final temperature. So basically I don't really care what temperature it is from left to right if I am smoking because I pulled me when it is done. I am used to cooking several kinds of meat at one time. That means that even though I am at the same temperature I have to pull them at different times. Basically I'm telling you that people are worrying about something that does not matter when you were smoking. Anyway I hope you get it figured out and just give it a little more time.

If your controller doesn't go in 10 degree incriminates from 180 to 300 then you need the updated controller. You will also need one of these Heat Deflector Mod

Just call customer support. They are very helpful.
Does installing the deflector mod void warranty or anything like that if you know?

Does installing the deflector mod void warranty or anything like that if you know?
I don't see how it would given that the 850 Pro Series has it built in. It is just a piece of steel contoured to match the shape of the heat deflector. It keeps hot hair from flowing up the left side of the deflector and directly onto the temp probe. You don't even have to bolt it in if you don't want to.

I don't see how it would given that the 850 Pro Series has it built in. It is just a piece of steel contoured to match the shape of the heat deflector. It keeps hot hair from flowing up the left side of the deflector and directly onto the temp probe. You don't even have to bolt it in if you don't want to.
Thanks, just was wondering, already ordered one for my 1150 pro

Latest Discussions

Back