Pellets catch fire instead of smoking

Baker

Reaction score
I have always used wood chip smoker's but wanted to step up to a bigger easier unit so got the pbv4ps2 from Lowes. It smokes at first but then when heats up pellets catch fire which means they done put off much smoke . It was already assembled and drip tray was backwards so wondering if something else is wrong too. If this is all the smoke it puts off want to go back to the old school smoker.

The smoker does burn the pellets, this is how it maintains the fire. "S" which looks like a 5 is at start up which the most smoke is made at 180 degrees. Lower temps around 200-250 gives alittle less smoke, but I still get a great smoke ring on whatever I smoked. Higher temps. like 350- Max is a lot less smoke. Try the "S" setting for the first hour of smoking, then move up the temp., you'll like the smoker.

The smoker does burn the pellets, this is how it maintains the fire. "S" which looks like a 5 is at start up which the most smoke is made at 180 degrees. Lower temps around 200-250 gives alittle less smoke, but I still get a great smoke ring on whatever I smoked. Higher temps. like 350- Max is a lot less smoke. Try the "S" setting for the first hour of smoking, then move up the temp., you'll like the smoker.
Thank you, I will try that. I started with a old school charcoal then a wood chip electric so I may just have to learn this one, and the S may help a lot. There is no real explanation or even videos that I found explaining how to use this one or what to expect.

"Grill Sargent" and "Weekend Warrior" are great references for PB smokers. The advice from Mike in Florida is excellent--I watch their videos and learn lots. Once you get used to how your machine works, I think you will appreciate what is can do for you. If you want more smoke, you can even buy an Amazen Products smoker tube, which can infuse more smoke into you cooks (amazenproducts.com)
God bless and I hope things work out for you!
-Kevin :)

"Grill Sargent" and "Weekend Warrior" are great references for PB smokers. The advice from Mike in Florida is excellent--I watch their videos and learn lots. Once you get used to how your machine works, I think you will appreciate what is can do for you. If you want more smoke, you can even buy an Amazen Products smoker tube, which can infuse more smoke into you cooks (amazenproducts.com)
God bless and I hope things work out for you!
Thanks, I have started watching the videos and have a tube ordered too. I have decided it is different and I just have to get used to the difference but hope overall it will be easier for things like Boston Butts which take a long time.

Here are some additional thoughts:
1) You can start of your smoke on the "smoke setting." This will produce a more constant smoke at the start. You can experiment with how much time on the "smoke setting" will work best for you. I hear many people will start off for one to two hours on "smoke" and then bump up the temperature for the remainder of the cook.
2) Change to setting of the smoke stack cap. You may wish to wind it down when using lower temperatures, such as on "smoke setting," and then raise it up for higher temps. This will allow from more air flow to move throughout the chamber. If you have a vertical pellet smoker, make certain the water pan always has water in it... I hear is helps as a heat sink to regulate temps.
3) Besides a smoke tube, another thing to play around with is the wood pellet brands. Although I like PB pellets (mainly I can get them at my local Wal-Mart), I have tried several other brands including Weber and Traeger... although after reading many [bad] comments about Traeger pellets, I no longer will use them. The brand that I really like is Lumber Jack pellets--I find that this brand produces better smoke infused flavor to my cooks! I know this may be subjective, but in my opinion there is a difference. They cost a little more that PB pellets, but to me it is well worth the extra cost. My favorite pellets are Lumber Jack 100% hickey and mesquite. I do not know where you can find Lumber Jack pellets where you live, but I have found them at Dick's Sporting Goods. They can ship them to your house. Here is a link: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...Type=Keyword&filterFacets=facetStore:ISA,SHIP

These are just some suggestions for you. I own a PB Austin XL grill and PB 5-series vertical smoker for over a year now. I love them both, and I'm still learning how to use them. I am trying to perfect a great pork butt, but still have some things to learn--that is why I watch a lot of how-to-videos on YouTube.

Blessing Again!

Here are some additional thoughts:
1) You can start of your smoke on the "smoke setting." This will produce a more constant smoke at the start. You can experiment with how much time on the "smoke setting" will work best for you. I hear many people will start off for one to two hours on "smoke" and then bump up the temperature for the remainder of the cook.
2) Change to setting of the smoke stack cap. You may wish to wind it down when using lower temperatures, such as on "smoke setting," and then raise it up for higher temps. This will allow from more air flow to move throughout the chamber. If you have a vertical pellet smoker, make certain the water pan always has water in it... I hear is helps as a heat sink to regulate temps.
3) Besides a smoke tube, another thing to play around with is the wood pellet brands. Although I like PB pellets (mainly I can get them at my local Wal-Mart), I have tried several other brands including Weber and Traeger... although after reading many [bad] comments about Traeger pellets, I no longer will use them. The brand that I really like is Lumber Jack pellets--I find that this brand produces better smoke infused flavor to my cooks! I know this may be subjective, but in my opinion there is a difference. They cost a little more that PB pellets, but to me it is well worth the extra cost. My favorite pellets are Lumber Jack 100% hickey and mesquite. I do not know where you can find Lumber Jack pellets where you live, but I have found them at Dick's Sporting Goods. They can ship them to your house. Here is a link: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=15108&catalogId=12301&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&fromPage=Search&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=48&searchTerm=lumber+jack+pellets&DSGsearchType=Keyword&advsearch=true&SearchType=Keyword&filterFacets=facetStore:ISA,SHIP

These are just some suggestions for you. I own a PB Austin XL grill and PB 5-series vertical smoker for over a year now. I love them both, and I'm still learning how to use them. I am trying to perfect a great pork butt, but still have some things to learn--that is why I watch a lot of how-to-videos on YouTube.

Blessing Again!

Thank you, I will have to try to find some of those Lumber Jack pellets and I am going to start planning some time to smoke a little while.

Thank you, I will have to try to find some of those Lumber Jack pellets and I am going to start planning some time to smoke a little while.
Definitely get some of the Char Hickory!

BBQr's Delight pellets are a great choice too. They make 100% flavor wood in smaller bags which are great for the tubes. A little pricey, but well worth it!

The Char Hickory are fine, too! I like the part about experimenting with difference wood flavors. Like many, I even mix pellet flavors. I had some left over PB charcoal pellets and mixed them with hickory pellets from PB and/or Lumber Jack. BBQ' Delight are suppose to be really good and should not be overlooked.
I appreciate this forum and how it helps me be a better pit master. I still have a long long way to go to better understand the trade. Smoking meats has become a hobby to me and a way to relax and unwind from a week of hard work. Of course, I'm a science school teacher and enjoy my summers off giving me the time to experiment and enjoy the outdoors with the Lord, my family, and my friends!
Blessings to all!

Got a burn tube from TSC and now I am loving it, guess it just takes time to learn....now to try ribs and Boston butts, those are usually my favorite to smoke.

Latest Discussions

Back