Pellet storage question

Reaction score
Hi all,
When grilling almost everyday day...how do you store your pellets that are still in the hopper?
It’s been light raining where I’m at for several days.
is there any issue or concern for not emptying the hopper?
Should I get a huge decedent pack to help remove the moisture if I let the pellets sit in the hopper?

And FYI now sift every bag of pellets. I had zeros issues with the hickory, but I got 4 bags of competition and found huge chunks of wood, one peice of plastic (quarter size) and about 100 pellets that had paint on them!!!

Thanks.

And FYI now sift every bag of pellets. I had zeros issues with the hickory, but I got 4 bags of competition and found huge chunks of wood, one peice of plastic (quarter size) and about 100 pellets that had paint on them!!!
:unsure: Which brand of pellets had the contaminants?

I leave my pellets in all the time. I do have a cover on when it's not in use. So far no problems. I shift the pellets every time I add just to be save.

Were they Pit boss pellets? The first bags of pellets i bought were Pitboss from lowes , they had really big chunks of wood in them. I haven't used pitboss pellets since.

Yes there are out boss competition pellets.
The bad thing is when I review all the different manufactures on Amazon reviews....they all have issues. Every single one of them!

so now I sift every bag and pull out the crap pellets or random crap and all the dust.

I always empty mine out. In damp weather I had to remove the auger twice. Don't like doing that but I don't use mine every day.

Never had any problems with pellets in hopper even with multiple days of rain during winter. My AXL is kept under roof and never gets rained on. Trash and paint on pellets is unacceptable. Lumberjack, Bear Mountain, Kingsford and B&B are reliable.

I just empted a bag of pitboss and some of the pellets were like yellow in them, almost looked like plastic. I threw them out but thinking about it now i should have saved them and seen,

I usually remove the pellets in the hopper, just what I do because I don't smoke that often. I use a shop vac to remove them and store in a sealed bucket.

I leave mine in the hopper, I smoke every few weeks and never had a problem. Smoker is stored indoors.

5 Gallon Bucket from Home depot and a Air Tight bucket cover.

I keep my pellets in the hopper m unit is under a roofed porch covered some time it might sit for weeks with out use no problems yet

I leave my pitboss competition pellets in the hopper and keep it covered. It’s been rainy here since 4:00 pm yesterday. Just went out after it quit briefly to check on it and there’s no issues.

Like the rest I leave mine in the hopper, but my grill is under my patio in a spot where it can't get wet. I use my grill so often there hasn't been time for an issue. I am south Louisiana and humidity or condensation has yet to form in the hopper. I keep my extra pellets in 20 qt sterile gasket boxes. I have been using these for years for all sorts of stuff and they just so happen to hold a little over 20 pounds of pellets and fit under my grill. I can fit 3 under there but 2 fit nicely with room to spare.

Link: 20qt Sterilite Gasket Box

Attachments

• Gasket Box 20qt.jpg
    Gasket Box 20qt.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Grill (2).jpg
    Grill (2).jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 33
Back