Pellet Question

Kp33

Reaction score
I buy my pellets from Lowes, in every bag it says blend under the flavor...does that mean it's not 100% wjat it says...so for example the hickory bag says blend under hickory so is it not all hickory?

I buy my pellets from Lowes, in every bag it says blend under the flavor...does that mean it's not 100% wjat it says...so for example the hickory bag says blend under hickory so is it not all hickory?
Most of the pellets will be a blend of some type but you can get Hickory and Mesquite that are not a blend of woods for a stronger smoke flavor. I get my pellets at Walmart.

What brand are you buying?

Pitboss pellets

Next time I would recommend trying a different brand and see if you notice a different with the end results.

LumberJack, B&B, Kingsford all have good reviews. I have yet to try Bear Mountain and Weber Pellets but plan to soon.

Bear Mountain is pretty good so they seemed to perfom like Lumber Jack to me on my Yoder and I have not tried them yet on my Pit Boss. The smoke and the flavor were right on as Lumber Jack.

I pasted in the answer that I got from Pit Boss about their pellet blends:

So almost all of our bags say "blend" after the type of wood it is. This just means it is blended with multiple logs from that one type of wood. We don't use any artificial sprays or oils or anything but compressed wood fibers in our pellets.

As for the competition blend the Walmart Exclusive bag has hickory, maple, and apple. The other bags of competition blend we sell has the cherry instead of the apple.

The pitmaster blend has hickory, maple, cherry, and oak.

You can't beat the price of the Walmart Competition blend, 40 lbs for around $14 dollars. Their classic blend is Hickory, Mesquite and pecan.

Also all of the Walmart pellet bags are resealable bags.

Well thats good so a bag of Hickory isn't a blend of other flavors just different hickory woods.

Well thats good so a bag of Hickory isn't a blend of other flavors just different hickory woods.

Right, they said meaning it may not all be from the same tree but normally comes from the same area or it could be from different areas but it's definitely all\only from Hickory trees and nothing else for the Hickory pellets and so on for the other woods as well.

The Walmart bags are also better labeled as to what type of wood is in the bag where as the Lowes version only says blends on the bag.

Right, they said meaning may not all be from the same tree but the same area or could be from different areas but it's definitely all Hickory trees and nothing else. The Walmart bags are also better labeled as to what type of wood where as the Lowes version only says blends.

Yeah I noticed that on Walmart competition it tells you what's in it...on the lowes competition it just says competition.

Latest Discussions

Back