Pbv4ps2 question

Steelheader1974

Reaction score
Anyone that ownes this vertical smoker I have a question. The question is Does anyone ever pay attention to the wind gust MPH? I ask this because I want to get this smoker and keep it at my girlfriends house it gets pretty windy there. It’s possible that it may be outside a lot but it would be covered. So any input on how much wind ur smokers handles without blowing away would be appreciated. Thanks.

Build a two sided wall for it about two feet higher than the smoker.

Build a two sided wall for it about two feet higher than the smoker.
Yeah I would have to make something that looks presentable. It was gonna maybe go on her concrete deck. My original plan was to keep it in the garage and wheel it out and use it under the car port but she thinks I’m gonna smoke out her neighbor. I could put it out on the back lawn but it would suck to wheel it through the grass every time lol. So the deck was next option and I thought about when I’m not using it cover it and put two bungee cords on it around the railings one towards the top and one towards the bottom. I think that would hold it. But just curious how much wind it reallly needs to move it not secured down.

Yeah I would have to make something that looks presentable. It was gonna maybe go on her concrete deck. My original plan was to keep it in the garage and wheel it out and use it under the car port but she thinks I’m gonna smoke out her neighbor. I could put it out on the back lawn but it would suck to wheel it through the grass every time lol. So the deck was next option and I thought about when I’m not using it cover it and put two bungee cords on it around the railings one towards the top and one towards the bottom. I think that would hold it. But just curious how much wind it reallly needs to move it not secured down.
Good question. I keep mine in the garage when it's not in use, but usually wheel it down closer to the house where I can set it up and it's protected from the western wind. However given its weight and the fact that it's wheels lock I think it could handle a pretty stiff wind without moving it or blowing it over.
That being said where I live in the winter where it's cold, it's just impractical for it to sit out in the direct wind and try to do a cook or smoke. It needs protected from the wind in sub-freezing temps.

Good question. I keep mine in the garage when it's not in use, but usually wheel it down closer to the house where I can set it up and it's protected from the western wind. However given its weight and the fact that it's wheels lock I think it could handle a pretty stiff wind without moving it or blowing it over.
That being said where I live in the winter where it's cold, it's just impractical for it to sit out in the direct wind and try to do a cook or smoke. It needs protected from the wind in sub-freezing temps.
Yeah I hear ya on the freezing weather. I’m living in Buffalo so I get the cold too. I keep my 1150 out in the elements and seems fine I keep it covered. It weighs like 200 or so pounds. I cooked in 50 mph winds in that without issues. I just want the option to smoke stuff when I have to spend all day there.

We have the series 4 and I’ve smoked in 10-20mph winds, didn’t have much of any issue. The smoke vent is adjustable, so you can probably mitigate some issues by closing it and adjusting the temp from there.
I don’t live in the cold, so I can’t comment on cold and windy :)

I believe it weighs 150 lbs. Half a hopper of pellets will add 30 more lbs. I don't think it would tip over; it has a wide stance. Keeping it out of the cold winter winds is a must. The neighbors will smell you smoking downwind no matter where you put it, I'd keep it in the garage and wheel it out when you need to.

never had a issue with wind or temp on my PB4 unit and I live in lower Michigan and it get cold here

In all honesty I would be worried more of losing the power in winds if they are really that high.

In all honesty I would be worried more of losing the power in winds if they are really that high.
Yeah I hear ya on that. I’m prolly gonna leave it in the garage. I didn’t really plan on using it during high winds. I just wanted to know if it was kept outside when not using how much wind it would withstand. If I kept it on her deck there really wouldn’t be any chance for me to actually take it off the deck by myself. I would have to bring it through the house and out the side door prolly which would be a pain to do. So the garage is sounding like the most logical thing to do. If I have to I can wheel it down the driveway a little bit if the smoke is blowing directly on the house next door. I guess maybe if I offer the neighbor some smoked meats they wouldn’t care to much either lol.

I have the PBV4 v2 here in Ohio. I leave it out on my deck with a cover. The thing weighs a ton so no issues with the wind. Like others said, you can play with the chimney damper to regulate if wind becomes a problem for you. No problems leaving it out.

I got a Series 3 vertical here in Australia. Every once in a while it roams around the balcony during gales, with casters locked. Never tipped, never fell. It just seems to get bored sitting on the same spot. Same happened to my Weber Genesis II, and to my kettle.
I've fixed this by using one of those textured rubber mats. Now they all sit quiet.

I got a Series 3 vertical here in Australia. Every once in a while it roams around the balcony during gales, with casters locked. Never tipped, never fell. It just seems to get bored sitting on the same spot. Same happened to my Weber Genesis II, and to my kettle.
I've fixed this by using one of those textured rubber mats. Now they all sit quiet.
Great idea !
I was going to suggest short buckets on the legs with concrete in them.

I was wondering if u guys that have this smoker raise up the water pan one slot for longer smokes? Like say a pork shoulder. For anyone that can answer another one is What shelf would u smoke a pork shoulder on. I was gonna use the second one down seeing that one seemed hotter for some reason when I was doing the ribs. I would of thought the first one would of been the hottest but it did t appear that way for me at least. I think pitbosss should of made liners that went into the grease bucket under the smoker like rectangular ones.

Latest Discussions

Back