PBV4PS2 Lots of Ash

UncleTom

Reaction score
This is my 3rd PBV4PS2 (2 were defective)
I did primed the auger with a 50/50 mix of PB Competition Blend and PB Charcoal
Set initial temp at 350 for 45 min after reaching temp
Dropped temp to 250 for 20 min then normal cool down.

I had previously talked to PB support about taking the flame dampener out for cleaning.
They were OK with it but put it back in before using.

Am I glad I did ! ! !

The ash is everywhere, and would be on the meat, if it were in their

It doesn't say anything in the manual about taking the 4 screws out and removing it for cleaning.
Apparently PB service isn't aware of it

Is this amount of ash normal???? SEE PICTURES
IMG_6296(Edited).jpg
IMG_6295.jpg

Yeah, looks normal to me. Mine does about the same but the heat deflector and water pan will block it. I usually clean it before the next use (and not after using in case some of it is hot).

I finally got time to clean mine under that shield. A #3 phillips bit on and extension with my impact gun and they came out very easy.
Vacuumed everything up. Over a year of smoking.

image000000.jpg

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 19
This is my 3rd PBV4PS2 (2 were defective)
I did primed the auger with a 50/50 mix of PB Competition Blend and PB Charcoal
Set initial temp at 350 for 45 min after reaching temp
Dropped temp to 250 for 20 min then normal cool down.

I had previously talked to PB support about taking the flame dampener out for cleaning.
They were OK with it but put it back in before using.

Am I glad I did ! ! !

The ash is everywhere, and would be on the meat, if it were in their

It doesn't say anything in the manual about taking the 4 screws out and removing it for cleaning.
Apparently PB service isn't aware of it

Is this amount of ash normal???? SEE PICTURES View attachment 961View attachment 963
I did a post about this a while back. I noticed ash in front of the pot cover so after removing the cover there was loads of ash. Much more than what you saw there.
I called PB support and the gal told me that was normal and to clean it out periodically. So I do.
I’ve never had a problem with ash floating up through the smoking chamber and affecting my food though.
As you noted…it’s not mentioned in the manual.

I’ll have to check mine out, I’ve never cleaned mine but I noticed today a bit of ash collecting at the bottom by the door.

E25C189A-2A61-45A9-B208-07E6355F373F.jpeg

Just a little bit of ash lmao. I’m actually more concerned with the amount of grease that seems to be dripping down the sides and collecting. That’s just a fire waiting to start, I was gonna move this thing closer to my house but now I’m keeping it far away.

View attachment 2984
Just a little bit of ash lmao. I’m actually more concerned with the amount of grease that seems to be dripping down the sides and collecting. That’s just a fire waiting to start, I was gonna move this thing closer to my house but now I’m keeping it far away.
That’s interesting. So far I’ve not had any grease get down there like you have. The trough generally catches mine

I use mine a lot, especially for ribs. I feel like it’s dripping on the sides and missing the trap

View attachment 2984
Upon cleaning my series 4 I discovered a similar look. I had a ton of white nasty smoke coming out during a cook and noticed after that the discoloration. I’ve considered trying the seal the top edge of the grease drain so grease can’t run along the back wall and under the heat deflector.

Yea it looks like the grease is just dripping down the sides and completely bypassing the grease tray/ramp

I removed the heat deflector but before I did that I took out the 4 smaller screws on top and a metal baffle fell off from underneath the heat deflector so I took the four bigger screws out and took the cover out of the smoker I didn’t notice how that baffle was underneath it. So my question is does anyone who own this vertical smoker remember how it was? Like is the metal overhang in the back? I would assume the back. In the picture it’s shown how I put it back together.
3C7989BA-572F-45E4-BA95-1E50928B81AA.jpeg
I’m assuming that’s how it went. I thought I’d ask to make sure.

I removed the heat deflector but before I did that I took out the 4 smaller screws on top and a metal baffle fell off from underneath the heat deflector so I took the four bigger screws out and took the cover out of the smoker I didn’t notice how that baffle was underneath it. So my question is does anyone who own this vertical smoker remember how it was? Like is the metal overhang in the back? I would assume the back. In the picture it’s shown how I put it back together. View attachment 2997I’m assuming that’s how it went. I thought I’d ask to make sure.
I’ve had mine off several times and that looks right.

Latest Discussions

Back