PBV4PS2 Controller Upgrade Options

So you are getting no WiFi...? Does the BlueTooth work....? Did you try to move the Wifi antennae from under the bottom board...? I had to move mine and when I did, the WiFi would then connect. I have a post on how to do it somewhere on this board.....let me know if you want to try that and can't find the post.
I still haven't touched the controller yet. Waiting for my new one to come in first. It works without the wifi or bluetooth so I'm not dead in the water.

Last edited:
I still haven't touched the controller yet. Waiting for my new one to come in first. It works without the wife or bluetooth so I'm not dead in the water.
Ok.....well if you get beyond frustrated with it.....then we can swap controllers....because mine works and I can try and fix yours. I am using the Rec Tec one now, so I am not using mine. Just hit me up if you ever get to the point of exasperation.

btw....mine works great without the Wife too.....LoL :)

Ok.....well if you get beyond frustrated with it.....then we can swap controllers....because mine works and I can try and fix yours. I am using the Rec Tec one now, so I am not using mine. Just hit me up if you ever get to the point of exasperation.

btw....mine works great without the Wife too.....LoL :)
I'm just afraid to touch it without having another controller, then I'll be up that creek without a paddle.

Totally 100% Agree about the controller.....BUT.....the door seal is just an alignment issue with the hinges that can be shimmed. It's too bad about the controller....because there is not a single vertical smoker in the same price range (<$400...I got mine with coupon for $360) that is built better mechanically or has all the same features. My Rec Tec did not have a pellet dump nor an internal grease catcher nor was the burn pot completely removable....that is amazing...!

I did own a Rec Tec Trailblazer and the controller is the best in the market....but they don't sell a vertical. Camp Chef does...but they are +$700. And the camp chef is smaller....the clean out is flimsy and it only holds 18 lbs of pellets....not even a full bag....not to mention 2 years less on the warranty. btw....I am not affiliated with PitBoss....I am an electrical engineer who appreciates good mechanical design.

SOOO.....if I had not had a Rec Tec controller....then I would still buy the Pro Series 4 v2.....but I would either wait for the 2nd generation controller to come out.....OR....I would buy the Camp Chef PID controller that is $190 (with Coupon and free shipping) and install it in that smoker.

Total cost would be $360 plus $190 = $550 Still lower cost and better quality of anything out there.

View attachment 1121

And the way I did my Rec Tec Controller install....I used the same Pit Boss quick disconnects, so I can swap it out to the newer Pit Boss when they come out....in about 5 minutes....I can put the old one back in and no one would know I swapped it out.
Is the install tough?

Is the install tough?
Not at all....mine took a few mins longer because I did the wiring so that I could pop the pit boss back in and out easily....in case they fix the firmware. If u search my posts you will see I did a detailed write up on what to buy and how to wire it up.

Totally 100% Agree about the controller.....BUT.....the door seal is just an alignment issue with the hinges that can be shimmed. It's too bad about the controller....because there is not a single vertical smoker in the same price range (<$400...I got mine with coupon for $360) that is built better mechanically or has all the same features. My Rec Tec did not have a pellet dump nor an internal grease catcher nor was the burn pot completely removable....that is amazing...!

I did own a Rec Tec Trailblazer and the controller is the best in the market....but they don't sell a vertical. Camp Chef does...but they are +$700. And the camp chef is smaller....the clean out is flimsy and it only holds 18 lbs of pellets....not even a full bag....not to mention 2 years less on the warranty. btw....I am not affiliated with PitBoss....I am an electrical engineer who appreciates good mechanical design.

SOOO.....if I had not had a Rec Tec controller....then I would still buy the Pro Series 4 v2.....but I would either wait for the 2nd generation controller to come out.....OR....I would buy the Camp Chef PID controller that is $190 (with Coupon and free shipping) and install it in that smoker.

Total cost would be $360 plus $190 = $550 Still lower cost and better quality of anything out there.

View attachment 1121

And the way I did my Rec Tec Controller install....I used the same Pit Boss quick disconnects, so I can swap it out to the newer Pit Boss when they come out....in about 5 minutes....I can put the old one back in and no one would know I swapped it out.
Do you know if the Camp Chef is easy to install and if it mounts similar to the stock unit?

Do you know if the Camp Chef is easy to install and if it mounts similar to the stock unit?
I can only say yes it looks easy to install electrically. Mechanically you would need to get the measurements off of the camp chef and get a piece of lexan cut to fit it in to or they also sell a black plastic rectangle that would fit on Amazon as well.

To confirm what others have stated already, I reached out to Pit Boss:

"Unfortunately at this point in time there are no plans to redesign/update the firmware in any vertical unit."

To confirm what others have stated already, I reached out to Pit Boss:

"Unfortunately at this point in time there are no plans to redesign/update the firmware in any vertical unit."
Hmmmm. They told me they were not updating the Existing controller firmware but they were coming out with a later version of the hardware controller that did have a newer firmware and it was going to be on units that shipped after the summer. Of course the might have k no it been truthful. Without an upgrade path or a plan to install another controller, I would hesitate to recommend this smoker...the controller is just that bad.

Hmmmm. They told me they were not updating the Existing controller firmware but they were coming out with a later version of the hardware controller that did have a newer firmware and it was going to be on units that shipped after the summer. Of course the might have k no it been truthful. Without an upgrade path or a plan to install another controller, I would hesitate to recommend this smoker...the controller is just that bad.
I'm doing my first smoke on it. I'm liking it so far. I got it to replace my 700fb. I wanted a cabinet for the size/shape. For the price I think it's pretty solid. I may upgrade the controller eventually. We'll see how it holds up. My 700fb worked like a champ for years.

Wish I would have waited for the new controller though. Oh well!

I'm doing my first smoke on it. I'm liking it so far. I got it to replace my 700fb. I wanted a cabinet for the size/shape. For the price I think it's pretty solid. I may upgrade the controller eventually. We'll see how it holds up. My 700fb worked like a champ for years.

Wish I would have waited for the new controller though. Oh well!
Yes...agree! With my RecTec controller in mine it is the perfect smoker....best on the market for the money.

Well I'm about to smash this controller, looks like I need to upgrade. Is the rectec better than camp chef? Which one is easier to install?

Found my temps to be off from around 15-20 degrees from my digital thermometer. Otherwise I found it to work well for my needs. Still need to see how ribs and brisket do.

Well I'm about to smash this controller, looks like I need to upgrade. Is the rectec better than camp chef? Which one is easier to install?
Well if u know someone who owns a RecTec then get one of those because I did a full write up on what to buy and how to replace the pitboss. If u buy the camp chef I can still help u with what to buy to connect it up, but can't help with setup. In either case u will need to get a piece of lexan or black plastic and cut the hole for the new controller. It's really with the effort! The RecTec is Amazing!

Latest Discussions

Back