PBV4PS2 Controller Upgrade Options

DanielMorgan

Reaction score
I am looking for a controller that has more temperature options, specifically 275. I haven't been able to find anything about the Pit Boss Vertical Pro 4 v2 (PBV4PS2) for upgraded controllers. What are my options here?

Thanks.

Glad I found this thread....The temp adjustment increments on this smoker are ridiculous ....PitBoss needs to address this. 25 degree or higher increments ....that is crazy. Do the right thing PitBoss.

Glad I found this thread....The temp adjustment increments on this smoker are ridiculous ....PitBoss needs to address this. 25 degree or higher increments ....that is crazy. Do the right thing PitBoss.
I don't understand why they wouldn't include 275. Hoping someone has a good suggestion for new controllers.

Can't understand the logic here....the Brunswick model has 10 degree increment all the way to 420. A company like Pit Boss, who sell to the outdoor cooking community would know that this does not work well. I believe if this was on the packaging, noone with any know-how would purchase this model.

I ordered a savannah stoker for my 4 series V2. My only concern is mounting the new controller. Smoke daddy also makes a PID controller. I've seen on here that they aren't going to upgrade the 4 series controller, only the 1150.

Can't understand the logic here....the Brunswick model has 10 degree increment all the way to 420. A company like Pit Boss, who sell to the outdoor cooking community would know that this does not work well. I believe if this was on the packaging, noone with any know-how would purchase this model.
What’s amazing to me is they don’t even know their products. This was my conversation with them a couple months back.

Attachments

• 01E88F2F-4BF3-46F6-B4EB-F21F0B66AD29.png
    01E88F2F-4BF3-46F6-B4EB-F21F0B66AD29.png
    339 KB · Views: 566
Two things:
1. They are upgrading the controller to have better increments....but it is still delayed as far as I know...but it is supposed to be out this summer. Will they update the old ones....not sure....but if ours happened to break(?)...Ahem. :)

2. If you have a friend with a Rec Tec....they can buy you a controller.....I owned one and bought a spare. I installed it into my Pro Series 4 V2.....and it is AMAZING...!! 5 degree increments....it gets to 350 in 18 mins and holds perfectly. Highly recommend this upgrade if you can find anyone....and if you do....message me and I can help you install it. It also has a RTD Offset.....so you can offset the probe temperature to read the same as the middle of the center grate. It is dead nuts on right at the middle of where I place the meat. I used Lexan so I could see where to drill the holes and then I spray painted with the "Hammered Metal Black" and it matches perfectly.

1620143979789.png
1620144028543.png

1620143921248.png

1620143861118.png

Attachments

• 1620143810667.png
    1620143810667.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
Thanks for the options listed in here all! Looks like there are some suitable choices. I'll do my research based on these.

Thank you.

well....not happy with my Pro Series 4 v2 ......its going back to lowes today..,,,maybe if they treat their customers a bit better....ie; crappy controller, I might reconsider. For now gonna try rec tec

Reactions: Hog
well....not happy with my Pro Series 4 v2 ......its going back to lowes today..,,,maybe if they treat their customers a bit better....ie; crappy controller, I might reconsider. For now gonna try rec tec

Did you get a chance to use it?

I did. not happy with the terrible seal around the door, but even more unhappy with the lame controller
Totally 100% Agree about the controller.....BUT.....the door seal is just an alignment issue with the hinges that can be shimmed. It's too bad about the controller....because there is not a single vertical smoker in the same price range (<$400...I got mine with coupon for $360) that is built better mechanically or has all the same features. My Rec Tec did not have a pellet dump nor an internal grease catcher nor was the burn pot completely removable....that is amazing...!

I did own a Rec Tec Trailblazer and the controller is the best in the market....but they don't sell a vertical. Camp Chef does...but they are +$700. And the camp chef is smaller....the clean out is flimsy and it only holds 18 lbs of pellets....not even a full bag....not to mention 2 years less on the warranty. btw....I am not affiliated with PitBoss....I am an electrical engineer who appreciates good mechanical design.

SOOO.....if I had not had a Rec Tec controller....then I would still buy the Pro Series 4 v2.....but I would either wait for the 2nd generation controller to come out.....OR....I would buy the Camp Chef PID controller that is $190 (with Coupon and free shipping) and install it in that smoker.

Total cost would be $360 plus $190 = $550 Still lower cost and better quality of anything out there.

1620239303224.png

And the way I did my Rec Tec Controller install....I used the same Pit Boss quick disconnects, so I can swap it out to the newer Pit Boss when they come out....in about 5 minutes....I can put the old one back in and no one would know I swapped it out.

Still waiting on a new controller that pit boss ordered on 2/22/21, should of been ordered in January but App Assistant gives out the wrong information, saying they ordered it but they can't. Suppose to be in by May, I called now it's July. Smoker works great, just no wifi, I use a thermopro 20 to monitor the temps.

Still waiting on a new controller that pit boss ordered on 2/22/21, should of been ordered in January but App Assistant gives out the wrong information, saying they ordered it but they can't. Suppose to be in by May, I called now it's July. Smoker works great, just no wifi, I use a thermopro 20 to monitor the temps.
So you are getting no WiFi...? Does the BlueTooth work....? Did you try to move the Wifi antennae from under the bottom board...? I had to move mine and when I did, the WiFi would then connect. I have a post on how to do it somewhere on this board.....let me know if you want to try that and can't find the post.

Latest Discussions

Back