PB850PS2 app resetting controller to Smoke

Chefk85

Reaction score
Bought a pro 850 a week ago and its been working pretty well. No big issues with the controller like the 1150 except it needs smaller temp increments.The issue im having is with the app. It will open and bring up my smoker but when i tap it to go into the smoker readout screen it rarely connects. When it does it resets my smoker to S. Now that i know i make sure to go outside and reset the temp but it messed with my cook the first few times and is annoying at best that the app is not working. Anybody else with this issue? I see most posts about the 1150 so not sure if the 850 is a popular model for most. Will call pit boss tomorrow and see what they say. I hope they include the 850 in the firmware update and get that sorted.

Bought a pro 850 a week ago and its been working pretty well. No big issues with the controller like the 1150 except it needs smaller temp increments.The issue im having is with the app. It will open and bring up my smoker but when i tap it to go into the smoker readout screen it rarely connects. When it does it resets my smoker to S. Now that i know i make sure to go outside and reset the temp but it messed with my cook the first few times and is annoying at best that the app is not working. Anybody else with this issue? I see most posts about the 1150 so not sure if the 850 is a popular model for most. Will call pit boss tomorrow and see what they say. I hope they include the 850 in the firmware update and get that sorted.
I just bought the 850 Pro 2 and had issues with connecting the app to the grill. Called PitBoss and they referred me to the IT smoke-it company. After several attempts to connect, it would kick off. Had me download an app called Blue, to test the Bluetooth output of the board. They told me I had a defective Bluetooth antenna on the programmer board. They contacted PitBoss who promptly sent me out a new controller. This controller is totally different from the original and has 4 meat probe connections, which is really nice. Adjustments to temperature are exact and don't seem to vary much if at all. I've smoked salmon, pork, chicken and getting ready to do a brisket. Love my new grill and newer controller.

I just bought the 850 Pro 2 and had issues with connecting the app to the grill. Called PitBoss and they referred me to the IT smoke-it company. After several attempts to connect, it would kick off. Had me download an app called Blue, to test the Bluetooth output of the board. They told me I had a defective Bluetooth antenna on the programmer board. They contacted PitBoss who promptly sent me out a new controller. This controller is totally different from the original and has 4 meat probe connections, which is really nice. Adjustments to temperature are exact and don't seem to vary much if at all. I've smoked salmon, pork, chicken and getting ready to do a brisket. Love my new grill and newer controller.
Hey. Thanks for thr reply! After some troubleshooting with the software developer himself from Australia, he has decided i recieved a bad wifi chip and they are sending out a new controller. Should be here in a couple of days. Ill update once i get it put in. Still a bad a** machine. Im willing to work out some issues. Also fantastic customer service from pit boss. Quick call backs and actual American folk doing the CS which is rare these days. I was informed these issues are NOT widespread as theyve sold 10s of thousands and are not getting a lot of calls. Overall very pleased and havent cooked a meal inside in 2 weeks even with the Idaho winter in full swing.

#bbq

can you post a picture of the controller?
Pit Boss told me there is NO NEW CONTROLLER for the 850 ps2 or any updates for it, I am confused, what is the truth?

can you post a picture of the controller?
Pit Boss told me there is NO NEW CONTROLLER for the 850 ps2 or any updates for it, I am confused, what is the truth?
Better follow up here for future people looking at this topic. The issue with the wifi and controller resetting to smoke when opening the app were resolved with a new controller. Now however im having a temp problem. I cant get my temps to reach the set temperature on the controller. This didnt happen with the old controller. Time to get back on the horn to pit boss. Ill post another update when i get an answer.

I got on the phone with Danny from App Assist the other night and we tested my blue tooth signal and it is not good.
So he says Pit Boss should be sending me out a new controller for my 850.
when I would set any temp with the app, it would then default back to the original settings, and if you shut the grill down thru the app, it would say the grill is off when it really is still on. So here we go waiting on a new controller with updated blue tooth.
we will see if it fixes that problem.

I got on the phone with Danny from App Assist the other night and we tested my blue tooth signal and it is not good.
So he says Pit Boss should be sending me out a new controller for my 850.
when I would set any temp with the app, it would then default back to the original settings, and if you shut the grill down thru the app, it would say the grill is off when it really is still on. So here we go waiting on a new controller with updated blue tooth.
we will see if it fixes that problem.
Got a new controller and ot had problems of its own. Namely not reaching temps i would set even after an hour. I sent out the new controller to pit boss amd they returned it today. Sad to sat it wont even power up. Plugged in my original that wouldnt connect to wifi but held temps correctly and ill be running it until i get the issue resolved. Im sure they will be sending me yet another controller to try out. Update when i get something figured out.

Got a new controller and ot had problems of its own. Namely not reaching temps i would set even after an hour. I sent out the new controller to pit boss amd they returned it today. Sad to sat it wont even power up. Plugged in my original that wouldnt connect to wifi but held temps correctly and ill be running it until i get the issue resolved. Im sure they will be sending me yet another controller to try out. Update when i get something figured out.
Just trying to keep this straight:
Let me see if I can summarize:
Controller #1 in original PB850PS2: Could not reliably connect to the App
Controller #2: Would not keep temps or get to set temps
Controller #3: Would not even power UP.
Controller #4: On its way to you now.....

They said that they have sold 10s of thousands of units and are not getting calls, but they can't get you a controller that works? Something doesn't add up. It seems that they should be sending QC tested/passed parts out to customers.

Mostly correct. Its friday night and i just tried the "repaired controller" which is the controller they sent to rectify the wifi problem. Wont power on. Not sure if it was damaged during shipping or i got one from the "repaired" pile that was totally broken. I didnt mark it so hard to tell if its even MY controller. I will contact them monday and see where it goes. I really do love the unit so im trying to be patient with them but i have a little less than 60 days to return it if they cant get it right. I was also told theyve sold a bunch with a very small portion needing repair but not sure I believe it anymore. Would seem like the fix would be easy if that were the case. Ill update soon.

I'm having the same issues. Customer service is nice, but i keep getting different stories on why i haven't been called back after I've been told someone will call me in a few minutes. So i take it as I've been lied to. Finally they send me a new controller, that one has a weaker signal then the original controller
I'm a very patient person, but i'm not getting what i payed for and being lied to at the sometime.

Hope everyone issues get resolved
sincerely,
Salty in Texas

I will update on the wifi problem when i get a minute to check but they did send out a 3rd brand new controller to me which i installed. It gets to and holds temps great which the last one didnt. Havent tried the wifi yet but will and report back soon. They really do have great customer service.

Hey Chef, New SMOKE iT app coming out August 1st! Call 888-503-8702 for more app help <))))><

Latest Discussions

Back