PB1150PS2 Ignitor concerns

Nitehawk

Reaction score
Hi guys & gals, this is my 1st smoker and I was so looking forward to learning the art of smoking, however my PB1150PS2 has given me concern.
My initial 5 cooks the smoker was awesome, other than not getting much smoke on low temps but after changing to Apple pellets I get awesome amounts of smoke so then pops another issue, my smoker would bounce up & down 20 deg. until I held primer in to get it up to set temp, Pit Boss sent me a new control board which after installing presented my new concern and reason for this post.
My ignitor continues to turn on for a minute or so and back off throughout the warm up and cook, my understanding was after the initial 5 min start up the ignitor stays off. Pit Boss rep said it is supposed to come on during cook to aid in maintaining temp even though my set temps are holding fine, 2nd rep I spoke with said use it that way and if the ignitor burns up THEN THEY WOULD SEND ME ANOTHER CONTROL BOARD AND IGNITOR, I loved the smoker initially but it’s looking like I’ll be working on it as much as cooking on it.
So my ? is should the ignitor continue to turn on and off throughout warm up and cooking..

Mine does. It's to keep the pellets burning.
Thx, doesn’t make sense when the fire is burning strong but if it’s supposed to turn on and off then I at least know it’s working correctly.

Hi guys & gals, this is my 1st smoker and I was so looking forward to learning the art of smoking, however my PB1150PS2 has given me concern.
My initial 5 cooks the smoker was awesome, other than not getting much smoke on low temps but after changing to Apple pellets I get awesome amounts of smoke so then pops another issue, my smoker would bounce up & down 20 deg. until I held primer in to get it up to set temp, Pit Boss sent me a new control board which after installing presented my new concern and reason for this post.
My ignitor continues to turn on for a minute or so and back off throughout the warm up and cook, my understanding was after the initial 5 min start up the ignitor stays off. Pit Boss rep said it is supposed to come on during cook to aid in maintaining temp even though my set temps are holding fine, 2nd rep I spoke with said use it that way and if the ignitor burns up THEN THEY WOULD SEND ME ANOTHER CONTROL BOARD AND IGNITOR, I loved the smoker initially but it’s looking like I’ll be working on it as much as cooking on it.
So my ? is should the ignitor continue to turn on and off throughout warm up and cooking..
My 820 does that. It’s normal but I’d hold on to the controller they send. Mine went out and they sent me several different rubs. Great customer service
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

My 820 does that. It’s normal but I’d hold on to the controller they send. Mine went out and they sent me several different rubs. Great customer service
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
I installed the new control board which is when I noticed the ignitor on & off throughout the cook, With the previous board the ignitor went out after the 1st 5 minutes and never came back on until the next time I fired up the smoker but I do agree customer service is very good though.

Mine turns on during start up then turns off I never see it turn on again. I had mine for a year or so now. No issues except for the auger motor I had to replace. Maybe I need a new controller. It has the 10 degree increments tho.

Maybe changing the P setting...P1 may surprise you. 😊

I don't know about the most recent models, but I know that in the the units a few years ago, the igniter only came on during start up and then never again. We used to have a couple of smokers that were rigged to run off car batteries - we just unplugged the igniters, lit them with a torch, and they did fine. When we did them, I talked to a couple of the Danson engineers who told me the igniter only ran during startup.

I don't know about the most recent models, but I know that in the the units a few years ago, the igniter only came on during start up and then never again. We used to have a couple of smokers that were rigged to run off car batteries - we just unplugged the igniters, lit them with a torch, and they did fine. When we did them, I talked to a couple of the Danson engineers who told me the igniter only ran during startup.
Like I said in earlier reply, with a roring fire and temps maintaining I fail to see where a hot ignitor is aiding in anyway, just my opinion. Lol, the last rep sent me the wrong bottom cover for my smoker, when removing to install the new control board the screws were so tight they stripped and I had to use angle grinder to grind heads and remove cover which got damaged, that board was supposed to fix my issue ( and did ) but was also supposed to adjust temps in 5 deg. Increments ( which it doesn’t ) like the new smoke it app.

Latest Discussions

Back