PB PBV4PS2 IT APP Connection Issue

UncleTom

Reaction score
I love the smoker, BUT the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth combination with the SmokeIT App used with Apple iPhone 7+ sucks!
The antenna on the smoker is so shielded it wont connect properly.
Found engineering information how to extend the antenna for long range installation ESP32 Long-Range Mode

Last edited:
You don't need to go that far......you have two options:

1. Move the existing antennae from under the bottom PCB to the plastic of the display. This worked for me incredibly..! See picture below. It is just has adhesive to the PCB...slowly pry it up and stick it as shown below. This gave me instant WiFi connections in the front of my house...but before the mod, I could not connect at all.

1615490745894.png

2. Add an external antenna....which I purchased for installation, but never had to install it, because the first item worked so well for me. This is super easy to do....I did it on my RecTec smoker....literally just drill a hold and mount it. The connector has a super small connector that can be pried up and the new one popped on..

You don't need to go that far......you have two options:

1. Move the existing antennae from under the bottom PCB to the plastic of the display. This worked for me incredibly..! See picture below. It is just has adhesive to the PCB...slowly pry it up and stick it as shown below. This gave me instant WiFi connections in the front of my house...but before the mod, I could not connect at all.

View attachment 917

2. Add an external antenna....which I purchased for installation, but never had to install it, because the first item worked so well for me. This is super easy to do....I did it on my RecTec smoker....literally just drill a hold and mount it. The connector has a super small connector that can be pried up and the new one popped on..
Fantastic.... Thanks For the Pics and info PB APP support determined that I have a defective controller and the ordered me a replacement. The change out involves going in thru the pellet storage....HUMMMM.... I think I will go ahead and install an external antenna.... I hope t fixes the connection issues.... I'm now going to look into the APP... WHILE enjoying the heck out of the smoker.....

Fantastic.... Thanks For the Pics and info PB APP support determined that I have a defective controller and the ordered me a replacement. The change out involves going in thru the pellet storage....HUMMMM.... I think I will go ahead and install an external antenna.... I hope t fixes the connection issues.... I'm now going to look into the APP... WHILE enjoying the heck out of the smoker.....
This antenna should work great.....just be aware it is a little over 5" tall.

Antenna for Wifi/BT

SmokeIT wifi controller arrived. Installed... Nothing. Called App Assist and there is no bluetooth signal coming from the controller. This seems to be a trend. For $160+ you might think PitBoss would have some better quality control. It also seems that there is an antenna issue with the units. This Smoke IT was for the Austin XL grill.

SmokeIT wifi controller arrived. Installed... Nothing. Called App Assist and there is no bluetooth signal coming from the controller. This seems to be a trend. For $160+ you might think PitBoss would have some better quality control. It also seems that there is an antenna issue with the units. This Smoke IT was for the Austin XL grill.
Ugh...that sucks.!

Well looks like I will be staying with my RecTec controller that I installed in the Pit Boss.....SOOO much better.

1619212979892.png

This was a significant let down. I have reservations as to how this issue could be so prevalent. The App popped up a message that stated: "try it again or call for assistance" like, they know this is an issue and can't get it under control. The gentleman on App Assistance diagnosed it under 2 minutes and the fix was really rehearsed: "The bluetooth is not working, we have Pit Boss send out another one..." My confidence in the controller is really shaky at this point. I may just get my money back and go with an alternative.

What alternatives do you recommend? Rectec or are there others?

Happy smoking! ;-)

This was a significant let down. I have reservations as to how this issue could be so prevalent. The App popped up a message that stated: "try it again or call for assistance" like, they know this is an issue and can't get it under control. The gentleman on App Assistance diagnosed it under 2 minutes and the fix was really rehearsed: "The bluetooth is not working, we have Pit Boss send out another one..." My confidence in the controller is really shaky at this point. I may just get my money back and go with an alternative.

What alternatives do you recommend? Rectec or are there others?

Happy smoking! ;-)
If you are speaking about entire new smokers....then I believe Rec Tec is the best. BUT....they don't have a vertical smoker, and that is why I went with Pit Boss. You can't find a better built smoker than the Pro Series 4 for under $400.....it is just built like a tank! with the grease catcher.....the ability to remove your pellets in the back.....and the ash cup that completely comes out.....sheez....it is amazing!

BUT....the controller absolutely sucks...! Wish I could let you see how good the Rec Tec controller is on this smoker....it is amazing..! Heats up in 18 mins to 350 and holds it there solid....has 5 deg increments......solid WiFi and app.....and probes read correctly. Pit Boss would own the market with this smoker....if they would just get the controller right.

Other than Rec Tec.....I heard Camp Chef is great.....but you are going to pay double for it.....as I only paid $360 for my Pro series 4 with a Lowes coupon.

Good luck.....

Latest Discussions

Back