Outdoor resilience if covered - PBV4PS2

hankhill11

Reaction score
Does anyone keep their smokers with fancy electric controllers outside and covered? I keep my grills on the patio with decent covers, but they aren't electric. This thing is big enough that I wouldn't be able to easily move it back and forth for use. I would bring it inside for winter, but primary home would be out in spring summer and fall. . ..

Mike From R.I.

Reaction score
Mines always stored indoors.
Many people have them covered on their patios. Correct cover and in good shape will keep the water out.

Last edited:

Dan-H

Reaction score
PB 820 pro is always outdoors. I'm in California where it is pretty dry. I unplug when not in use.

So far no issues with electronics, just some rust on the base.

OP
OP
H

hankhill11

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on your use cases. I still worry, but will get a cover for it no matte where I keep it. I probably will spray the cover down with some extra waterproofing spray either way too.

now to get an outlet installed for patio use....:)

OP
OP
H

hankhill11

Reaction score
Got that on my mind already Dan, thanks for the mention. We have had some really humid and rainy weather the last week or two here in southeast wisconsin. I am really glad this unit has a poop shoot to dump the unused pellets.

I placed my order for pickup at lowes today, along with the pitboss cover they sell.

Phraint

Reaction score
Does anyone keep their smokers with fancy electric controllers outside and covered? I keep my grills on the patio with decent covers, but they aren't electric. This thing is big enough that I wouldn't be able to easily move it back and forth for use. I would bring it inside for winter, but primary home would be out in spring summer and fall. . ..
I have the 1600 as well. It is under a patio cover and a PB cover. No weather related issues.

elp

Reaction score
I have had a PB 820 for years and more recently a PB Platinum Lockhart. I live in Florida and both are kept on the pool deck with covers, but no shelter. I keep pellets in the hoppers and have never had an issue with moisture. I do use them year round though and have never gone more than a few weeks without firing it up.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had a PB 820 for years and more recently a PB Platinum Lockhart. I live in Florida and both are kept on the pool deck with covers, but no shelter. I keep pellets in the hoppers and have never had an issue with moisture. I do use them year round though and have never gone more than a few weeks without firing it up.
Same here. It has been 3 weeks since I have used mine because it has been so hot outside. That is the longest I have ever gone without using it. This weekend may be a washout as well as I see a storm is headed to the panhandle.