Old Man - New Hobby

Jersey Bill

Reaction score
All of the stay at home BS over the past 3 years had me looking for a new hobby. Stumbled upon the pellet smoker scene. Did some research and settled on the Series 5 Vertical. So far I'm really liking it but have a few questions that only those in the know will be able to assist with. First - the glass door on the 5 seems to sag creating a poor smoke/heat seal. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix beside lifting up on it each time I close it? Second - is using the water tray mandatory? I have friends with other horizontal pellet smokers (Treager) and they have never used water. I read somewhere that moisture impedes the bark formation. Not sure how true that is but i know I could always use more bark. Any help at all would be appreciated!

I would call customer support about the sagging door; they would know for sure how to fix it and will send the parts to you for free.
I have the PBV4PS2 smoker and always have water in my pan: I don't want a grease fire. Water in the pan helps stabilize the temperature so you don't get spikes up and down.

All of the stay at home BS over the past 3 years had me looking for a new hobby. Stumbled upon the pellet smoker scene. Did some research and settled on the Series 5 Vertical. So far I'm really liking it but have a few questions that only those in the know will be able to assist with. First - the glass door on the 5 seems to sag creating a poor smoke/heat seal. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix beside lifting up on it each time I close it? Second - is using the water tray mandatory? I have friends with other horizontal pellet smokers (Treager) and they have never used water. I read somewhere that moisture impedes the bark formation. Not sure how true that is but i know I could always use more bark. Any help at all would be appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.. I use a water pan in my stick burner, Pit Boss PBV5 and most of the time in my Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. The water pan moderates temperature swings and keeps a moist environment for low and slow cooking. I often pour some veg oil on top of the water to limit moisture but have the heat ballast in the GMG. The water pan in my reverse flow offset stick burner sets over the hot spot of the reverse flow tunnel closest to the firebox. One thing I learned along the way is that when using a pan under the meat you are cooking the top edge of the pan needs to be at least 2" below the meat, 4" is optimum. If the top edge of the pan is to close the meat will be steamed not roasted / smoked. A friend of mine smokes his butts for 5-6 hours dry on the rack of his rotisserie smoker, then places the butts in a half pan with a 1/2 cup of spritz mixture until done uncovered, it's good stuff!
I find most things amount to trial and error as I get used to a new to me smoker.
This article maybe interesting:

Smoker Water Pans — Why, When and How to Use One

I see water pans being used at competition events, although I dont know if everyone does.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere.......
Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a low-salt (sodium) line of rubs?
Wifey is sensitive to salt and high BP to boot.
I'm sure I can blend my own but a full product line catering to those "low-salt" people out there would be an easier route.
Thanks!

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere.......
Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a low-salt (sodium) line of rubs?
Wifey is sensitive to salt and high BP to boot.
I'm sure I can blend my own but a full product line catering to those "low-salt" people out there would be an easier route.
Thanks!

Hey Jersey,
A typical rub is ;
8 parts sugar
3 parts salt
1 part paprika
1 part various seasonings, like-
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Cumin
ETC
You could cut back on salt as you see fit. Stay away from onion salt and garlic salt.

Consider the size of the protein you are going to smoke. A 10lb butt vs rack of ribs.
If you buy a rub salt is usually the first ingredient on the list.
I buy salt free blackened fish season because most are 50% salt. Salt is cheap so I buy 16oz Blackening seasoning with no salt from Sisco then add salt to my liking.
White sugar tends to make a dark bark and brown sugars not so dark. Hope this helps!

Thanks Red!

I'll give it a try - maybe I'll season the ribs 50/50...half for her needs and half for my tastes. I like salt! lol!
“Carolina Dirt” No Salt BBQ Spice Rub - The Low Sodium Foodie

Amazon.com : salt free bbq rub

Smoked Chipotle powder - Google Search

I use alot of this smoked chipotle powder.
FYI
Powdered honey
Powdered Whats-this-here-sauce is nice in the smoker pantry, and has minimal salt..

Last edited:

Worcestershire Sauce Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits

Thanks Red

I have not been able to try anything since my last post. Too many family obligations getting in the way! And this weekend is shot too! But I do appreciate ALL of the support from the forum members. Trust me - as soon as I get the opportunity to try some out some of these suggestions i def will and report back with results.

Latest Discussions

Back