Not impressed

Dspills

Reaction score
New to PB, came from a line of other smokers and I gotta say I can’t get this thing to produce an ounce of a whisp of smoke... pretty disappointed. This just seems to be a wood fired electric grill for all intensive purposes.. 850 Pro Series.... I’ve looked through other threads and cannot find any fixes...

New to PB, came from a line of other smokers and I gotta say I can’t get this thing to produce an ounce of a whisp of smoke... pretty disappointed. This just seems to be a wood fired electric grill for all intensive purposes.. 850 Pro Series.... I’ve looked through other threads and cannot find any fixes...
I just got my PB 850 last week. I smoked a rack of ribs for my first cook, and I thought the same thing. Didn't see much smoke, and I worried just like you. So I didn't wrap my ribs like I usually do after 3 hours of smoke. The ribs ended up with almost too much smoke. Had about a half inch smoke ring, and I am used to only having about a quarter inch smoke ring. Have you completes your cook yet?

No, it’s a brisket... put it on about 8pm, expect it done around 10am ish...

I just hope it’s enough smoke for this brisket I just made, I don’t feel like I should have to buy a smoke tube when I buy a brand new “smoker”.

The key to Great bbqing is learning your grill and learning your equipment... Every bbq cooking tool has its own nuances. Pellet Grills are not Off-Set stick burners, they have their own steps and procedures to follow too get the best results. Always, plan your work and work your plan with your equipment... Pellet Grills are not designed to go Hot and Fast for great smoke flavor... They are designed for Low and Slow bbqing for the best Smoke production and results. Always start at 200* degrees or lower for the first 2-3 hours for a brisket and spritz every 45 mins to an hour too help the smoke stick better to the brisket. After the first 2-3 hours of 200* degrees or lower temp is completed, then bump the Controllers temp setting up to 250*-275* degrees too finish your brisket. FYI, since the fire pot is centered and at the bottom of your grill, always bbq your briskets with the Fat Cap down until it’s time to wrap, then flip it over. The Fat Cap will help protect your brisket from the heat source being directly under it. Pellet Smoke is not bad, it’s just very clean smoke, so running your grill at the ideal Smoke temps to start your bbq is required and try using 100% wood type pellets when possible like Hickory and Mesquite from Lumberjack for the best pellet smoke. Lastly, adding a Pellet Tube is only a $20.00 investment and you can use the Wood Chips of your choice mixed in with Wood Pellets to add that extra boost of smoke flavor if so desired. You’ll have enough smoke if you follow these steps. Good luck.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
I’ll have to eat crow, I didn’t think it was gonna do anything... but...

Attachments

• 4886EC53-5DEA-4BE8-91C2-541FFC367E94.jpeg
    4886EC53-5DEA-4BE8-91C2-541FFC367E94.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 146
I just hope it’s enough smoke for this brisket I just made, I don’t feel like I should have to buy a smoke tube when I buy a brand new “smoker”.
I certainly understand this point. Hell, if you have to keep buying stuff to make it better, why didn’t we just spend the extra money to buy a better pit then.

I have been saying for years that Pellet grills will not produce the smoke as a stick burner as which is why a pellet grill is just a wood pellet burning oven. Pit Boss will tell you to use a smoke tube if you want more smoke. No matter how scientific you get or the type of pellet if it is 100% - 75% or how slow you cook it you will not get the same results. My Yoder pellet grill produces a slightly more smoke, but no where to a stick burner will you ever achieve it. I have already explain the reason between wood pellets vs. actual wood in the other threads as solid wood release more chemical reaction than a Pellet does as it just compressed saw dust.

Not knocking pellet grills I love both of mine becuase they are easy just fill up the hopper plug it in and set the temp and press a button and you are go to go. It is like operating a microwave LOL, but I use mine for for the cook plus How many BBQ World Champions won using a Pellet grill???

Doesn't Rob Gray from Pellet Envy use a pellet grill? Not really sure I think he used both pellet grills and stick burners.

Doesn't Rob Gray from Pellet Envy use a pellet grill? Not really sure I think he used both pellet grills and stick burners.
My understanding not in competitions as he uses it for exhibitions and for his classes on cooking for BBQ. I know a few guys here in Nashville that do comps and they said they seen some in competitions, but never place. They said World Championships there is noway they would walk into a WC Comp with a pellet grill.

Yoder makes a competition pellet grill, but persoanlly I think it just for show to increase the price of the grill. In the Yoder forum I belong to nobody is in a competitive BBQ with there Yoder even the long time veterans.

Last edited:
Rod Gray of Pellet Envy used a pellet grill in competition until 2010 and then went back to using a stick burner.

David Bouska of Butchers BBQ uses a Cookshack FEC100 Pellet Smoker in competitions.

Matt Pittman of Meat Church bbq uses Traeger Grills when in Comps.

Danielle Dimovski of Diva Q bbq also uses Traeger Pellet Grills in Competitions.

Fred Robles was named 2017 BBQ World Champion used Traeger Grills... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...rs-overtaking-classic-BBQ-grills-13273018.php
Just to name a few well known Pit Masters that use Pellet Grills to great success.

Do Pellet Grills make the best bbq in the World everyday? No, but that can be said with any type of bbq grill. Master your Grill, whatever type of Grill it may be and Master your cooking process and techniques... And you’ll be able to put out some great bbq.

Rod Gray of Pellet Envy used a pellet grill in competition until 2010 and then went back to using a stick burner.

David Bouska of Butchers BBQ uses a Cookshack FEC100 Pellet Smoker in competitions.

Matt Pittman of Meat Church bbq uses Traeger Grills when in Comps.

Danielle Dimovski of Diva Q bbq also uses Traeger Pellet Grills in Competitions.

Fred Robles was named 2017 BBQ World Champion used Traeger Grills... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...rs-overtaking-classic-BBQ-grills-13273018.php
Just to name a few well known Pit Masters that use Pellet Grills to great success.

Do Pellet Grills make the best bbq in the World everyday? No, but that can be said with any type of bbq grill. Master your Grill, whatever type of Grill it may be and Master your cooking process and techniques... And you’ll be able to put out some great bbq.

Well Fast Eddy Pellet grills are far more sophisticated Pellet grills and the average joe is not going to buy one and have it sit in his back yard. You ever see the smoke that Pellet box puts out....Come on it is a stick burner on steroids.

You ever had Danielle Dimovski BBQ..it is not good at all. My wife and I had the privileged to try her BBQ at the KC Masterpeice Show in Kansas City, MO. the ribs tasted like burnt wood and she did not use a pellet grill that I know as the smoke was too much in the meat.

Latest Discussions

Back