Not enough smoke

panzon3

Reaction score
I cooked ribs 2X and Brisket once. I’m not getting enough smoke flavor on my meat that I like. The ribs were OK and the brisket was not. Is there an aftermarket PID controller that can help with this or am I gonna have to buy a smoke tube? I can add a little more smoke with the “Prime” button but I don’t want to keep pressing the button every 30 minutes during my cooking. Also I clean the ash out every time and make sure I don’t have any build up. From what I read through the forums, the smoke from the KC Combo pit is not very good. But I haven’t seen anything about an upgrade on an aftermarket PID controller.
This smoke problem is the only negative that I have experienced so far. The temperature holds steady within 2 degrees either way. And when I open the lid to spritz the temp recovers well.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will be off for a week and will be smoking ribs, brisket, pork butt and chicken so I can fine tune everything.
Thanks for reading my post

I do have an Amazen pellet tube and they do work well. Found one on clearance last winter. The one I have will last 6 hours when full of pellets.

I do have an Amazen pellet tube and they do work well. Found one on clearance last winter. The one I have will last 6 hours when full of pellets.
Thanks for responding.
it just doesn’t seem right to use a smoke tube. The whole point of the pellet smoker is to have the smoke you want. Or at least an adjustment to the level of smoke you want. I have only cooked 3 times on mine. I’m still trying to figure it out. The ribs, I can do better by adjusting my technique. The brisket is gonna take some trial and error. I will post my progress and hopefully it will help others. And I will post my recipes also. I’m a huge foodie and want my food to taste spot on before I let others know my flavor profiles.Thanks again for responding

Thanks for responding.
it just doesn’t seem right to use a smoke tube. The whole point of the pellet smoker is to have the smoke you want. Or at least an adjustment to the level of smoke you want. I have only cooked 3 times on mine. I’m still trying to figure it out. The ribs, I can do better by adjusting my technique. The brisket is gonna take some trial and error. I will post my progress and hopefully it will help others. And I will post my recipes also. I’m a huge foodie and want my food to taste spot on before I let others know my flavor profiles.Thanks again for responding

The Savannah Stoker controller produces the smoke you will need as the Pit Boss controller is just a cheap swinging controller. Also Pit Boss knows this and they still promote the grills as a smoker, but that controller is just crap.

The Savannah Stoker controller is the right controller you want to smoke with as this controller you can fine tune they you want to smoke. The Smoke Tube personally is useless to me and I am not convinced that it actually works. Some say it does, but that is my opinion so I would not waste your money on one.

The Savannah Stoker controller produces the smoke you will need as the Pit Boss controller is just a cheap swinging controller. Also Pit Boss knows this and they still promote the grills as a smoker, but that controller is just crap.

The Savannah Stoker controller is the right controller you want to smoke with as this controller you can fine tune they you want to smoke. The Smoke Tube personally is useless to me and I am not convinced that it actually works. Some say it does, but that is my opinion so I would not waste your money on one.

Thank you for the information. I will try to tune up my PitBoss KC Combo first then I will try the PID controller

Thank you for the information. I will try to tune up my PitBoss KC Combo first then I will try the PID controller

Sorry I had no idea you have KC Combo. The KC Combo already has a PID controller so the Savannah Stoker will not help you and it is not compatible.

I assume you had a normal PB grill that has the non-PID controllers. I have been trying for the life of me to get as much information the PID controllers that the KC and Lockhart use and who makes them for Pit Boss and the software behind it. I was told that this controller is made out of china, but designed by Pit Boss although that is far as I get as I am very surprised that PB has not released a lot of firmware updates for the platinum grills.

It is nothing new hearing reports that they are not producing enough smoke and I agree you are paying a lot for that grill to add a smoke tube especially a PID controller. The Lockhart is what I feel Pit Boss needs to be held accountable for as they promote the Lockhart as a Smoker as they have the Top Box is designed for smoking and I have heard they do not produce and some say they do. One person did say he did use a smoke tube with his lockhart.

Sorry I had no idea you have KC Combo. The KC Combo already has a PID controller so the Savannah Stoker will not help you and it is not compatible.

I assume you had a normal PB grill that has the non-PID controllers. I have been trying for the life of me to get as much information the PID controllers that the KC and Lockhart use and who makes them for Pit Boss and the software behind it. I was told that this controller is made out of china, but designed by Pit Boss although that is far as I get as I am very surprised that PB has not released a lot of firmware updates for the platinum grills.

It is nothing new hearing reports that they are not producing enough smoke and I agree you are paying a lot for that grill to add a smoke tube especially a PID controller. The Lockhart is what I feel Pit Boss needs to be held accountable for as they promote the Lockhart as a Smoker as they have the Top Box is designed for smoking and I have heard they do not produce and some say they do. One person did say he did use a smoke tube with his lockhart.
The KC Combo does have a “Prime” button. Which my understanding is what the Competition cookers asked for so you can manually add more pellets For more smoke. But I don’t want keep pushing the Prime button Throughout my cooking. The brisket I cooked had a small smoke ring and tasted like a mild roast. I smoked it for 5 hours and got a decent bark on it. Then wrapped it for 5 hours until about 202 degrees. It was moist and tender but not a smoky flavor . I will post the results of the next brisket and the steps and spice I used

I wish one of these companies would make a horizontal control board as most of the new ones have the style. I would try and modify and cut things out but I kind of stink at doing stuff like that.

Or give you a smoke tube if they prefer you to use one

I have 2 smoke tubes. One from them and one from Amazon which was 10 bucks. I am doing a small pork butt Sunday. I get my replacement board Wednesday and will need to play repair man to put it in. I plan on using both smoke tubes to see what happens.

I have 2 smoke tubes. One from them and one from Amazon which was 10 bucks. I am doing a small pork butt Sunday. I get my replacement board Wednesday and will need to play repair man to put it in. I plan on using both smoke tubes to see what happens.
Do you have the KC Combo?

No I bought the Lexington from Walmart... I wish I had kept my old Weber Smokey Mountain at this point. These pellet grills are glorified ovens.

No I bought the Lexington from Walmart... I wish I had kept my old Weber Smokey Mountain at this point. These pellet grills are glorified ovens.
Ok, I have the KC Combo. The only negative with this pit is the smoke is not heavy enough. The heat hold great. The grill and flat griddle plate are perfect for burgers or philly cheese steaks. Maybe my pellet tube will give me smoke flavor I’m wanting. Good luck with your pit. I’ll post pics and comments when I cook again

Ok, I have the KC Combo. The only negative with this pit is the smoke is not heavy enough. The heat hold great. The grill and flat griddle plate are perfect for burgers or philly cheese steaks. Maybe my pellet tube will give me smoke flavor I’m wanting. Good luck with your pit. I’ll post pics and comments when I cook again
I will post the results on Sunday and let you know.

Latest Discussions

Back