Not enough smoke

Kyle Looney

Reaction score
This thing will not smoke . Wish I had not bought . Take my word don’t buy one !

This thing will not smoke . Wish I had not bought . Take my word don’t buy one !
I thought the same thing when I bought mine. It will not smoke heavy but it will leave a small smoke ring on the food. It’s what they call clean smoke. I’ve had mine for a long time and use a smoke tube to help. It still doesn’t have the heavy smoke flavor that I like but it’s still not bad. The more I use it the better the flavor comes out. I am using Bear Mountain pellets today to see if I can get the heavy smoke flavor I’m looking for . I’ve never used these pellets before. The best pellets I’ve used so far are the Kingsford Post Oak pellets. Try using some of those with a smoke tube. And yes I know it doesn’t make any sense to use a smoke tube on a pellet smoker. But it does help. Just keep trying new pellets and you will find one that works for you

I always rock the tube. Sometimes two of them! :D
The owners manual suggest to use a smoke tube. However as much money as we spend on this setup, you shouldn’t have to use a smoke tube.

I'm assuming traditional smokers (using actual wood) produce more pronounced smoke, with more flavor. But considering the fact pellets are compressed small wood fibers meant to be easily ignited, they will burn hotter and hence less smoke.

Unless there is a real difference between brands, the ease of pellets grills is the tradeoff for strong smoke. Not to mention, it doesn't have to be billowing white smoke at all times to impart flavor.

That said, I too use a smoke tube when I want stronger flavor, which is pretty much all the time!

I'm assuming traditional smokers (using actual wood) produce more pronounced smoke, with more flavor. But considering the fact pellets are compressed small wood fibers meant to be easily ignited, they will burn hotter and hence less smoke.

Unless there is a real difference between brands, the ease of pellets grills is the tradeoff for strong smoke. Not to mention, it doesn't have to be billowing white smoke at all times to impart flavor.

That said, I too use a smoke tube when I want stronger flavor, which is pretty much all the time!
I use a smoke tube also. Sometimes. I’ve tried different pellets and it seems so far Bear Mountain is the best

I’ll have to chime in on this one. I just got the PBV4PS2 myself very recently. I was under the impression these things were super smokers. I wish I hadve researched here beforehand. Also mine was pretty much an impulse buy and I got a pretty good buy on it. I like the way it operates. The temp control is good. But as far as a good Smokey taste. Forget it.
I’m using the tube And I also have a tray I use and it adds more physical smoke but as far as flavor well it’s just not there.

And I appreciate all the help I’ve got in here btw.

I’m not knocking it at all. I guess it does what it’s suppose to do well. I made the purchase without a lot of knowledge. Well other than advertisements about a great Smokey flavor etc.
I have a smaller Pit Boss Hammertone 2 Electric chip burner that will outsmoke this one any day of the week. A couple of trays of hickory chips and anything’s Smokey.
Again. I’m not putting this thing down but if I had known beforehand, it would not have been bought even at the price I got it for. I’m still learning it. These things are different. So far I’ve used Pit Boss and Traeger hickory apple and mesquite pellets. I’m hoping the Bear Mountain and Kingsford may be smokier.
Mine will Smoke to high heavens even without a tube or tray. But with one I’ve been able to taste a little smoke but without one pretty much nothing. Wierd because it smokes like Cheech n Chong. Lol.
My little Hammertone maintains temp just as good as this thing. I’ll figure it out or just get rid of it.
but I have NOT given up yet. Lol. It’s a great cooker. But smoker????
Now with all that being said. I did have one cook so far using PB Hickory on an experimental London Broil. I did get a pretty good smoke flavor smoking slow as advised and with a tube. I finished up up again as advised on my Weber grill.
This is the best so far but still doesn’t compare to what I’m used to.
But again. Lol. I’m not giving up that easy. Too many positives. There’s got to be a pellet or some kind of technique to use some wood chips in a tube or tray to make it better.

Last edited:
I’ll have to chime in on this one. I just got the PBV4PS2 myself very recently. I was under the impression these things were super smokers. I wish I hadve researched here beforehand. Also mine was pretty much an impulse buy and I got a pretty good buy on it. I like the way it operates. The temp control is good. But as far as a good Smokey taste. Forget it.
I’m using the tube And I also have a tray I use and it adds more physical smoke but as far as flavor well it’s just not there.

And I appreciate all the help I’ve got in here btw.

I’m not knocking it at all. I guess it does what it’s suppose to do well. I made the purchase without a lot of knowledge. Well other than advertisements about a great Smokey flavor etc.
I have a smaller Pit Boss Hammertone 2 Electric chip burner that will outsmoke this one any day of the week. A couple of trays of hickory chips and anything’s Smokey.
Again. I’m not putting this thing down but if I had known beforehand, it would not have been bought even at the price I got it for. I’m still learning it. These things are different. So far I’ve used Pit Boss and Traeger hickory apple and mesquite pellets. I’m hoping the Bear Mountain and Kingsford may be smokier.
Mine will Smoke to high heavens even without a tube or tray. But with one I’ve been able to taste a little smoke but without one pretty much nothing. Wierd because it smokes like Cheech n Chong. Lol.
My little Hammertone maintains temp just as good as this thing. I’ll figure it out or just get rid of it.
but I have NOT given up yet. Lol. It’s a great cooker. But smoker????
Now with all that being said. I did have one cook so far using PB Hickory on an experimental London Broil. I did get a pretty good smoke flavor smoking slow as advised and with a tube. I finished up up again as advised on my Weber grill.
This is the best so far but still doesn’t compare to what I’m used to.
But again. Lol. I’m not giving up that easy. Too many positives. There’s got to be a pellet or some kind of technique to use some wood chips in a tube or tray to make it better.
I’m curious to know if the Bear Mountain pellets will help with the Smokey flavor. I found it to help me. Please let me know what you think and how they taste

Will do and thanks. I have their Gourmet Blend and some Oak already here. I may try some today. Which ones did you use ?

Will do and thanks. I have their Gourmet Blend and some Oak already here. I may try some today. Which ones did you use ?
I used the oak pellets. I used Big Moes competition rub on my ribs and the Bear mountain oak pellets. Pretty good combo

I used the oak pellets. I used Big Moes competition rub on my ribs and the Bear mountain oak pellets. Pretty good combo
I've been wanting to try that rub. Is it spicy? Is there another comp rub you would compare it to?

I've been wanting to try that rub. Is it spicy? Is there another comp rub you would compare it to?
It’s not spicy. I’m a real big fan of the KOSMOS brand. The Honey Chipotle Killer Bee is good for chicken and ribs. The Cow Cover and Dirty Bird are great for pork butt and ribs. Just about any rub will do with any meat. If you look at my other posts you will see what I have cooked. Big Moes rub is a savory taste. Not to sweet but great meaty flavor.

It’s not spicy. I’m a real big fan of the KOSMOS brand. The Honey Chipotle Killer Bee is good for chicken and ribs. The Cow Cover and Dirty Bird are great for pork butt and ribs. Just about any rub will do with any meat. If you look at my other posts you will see what I have cooked. Big Moes rub is a savory taste. Not to sweet but great meaty flavor.
Might have to give it a shot then. I love Kosmos rubs as well.

Latest Discussions

Back