Noob in Arizona

Good morning all. I am new to the forum and new to pellet grills. I recently purchased a Pit Boss Pro Series 850 and Love it! I have already gotten some good tips here, and look forward to more!
Welcome friend to the wonderful delight of smoking foods. I have a Pro Series ll 150 portable and 600. Love them both! I will pass on some tips I have used. But remember friend, everyone had an opinion!!

1) Its really hard to ruin something! Relax and enjoy the ride.
2) Don't be afraid to experiment with pellet flavors, spices and rub. For me that's half the fun.
3) Keep your smoker clean. I vac the fire box and barrel after every cook. No problems as a result. A good habit to get in to.
4) YouTube is a great resourse.
5) Low and Slow. Time and Temperature. These are the things to remember for most things you smoke. Of course your recipe will dictate each. By opening the sear plate you get HOT FLAME! But the real purpose of your smoker is smoking......low and slow!
6) This isn't a "fast cook" machine. If you're wanting descent smoke flavor you won't get it in 15 minutes for the most part.
7) Good pellets DO NOT produce heavy, thick smoke throughout the entire cook. Only at the start or when anger reloads fire box. If heavy smoke is your desire try a pellet tube. I don't use one as I'm okay with the flavor produced.

Like I said friend, everyone has their own opinions, some good, some bad. Find your own niche as you enjoy your journey.

Welcome friend to the wonderful delight of smoking foods. I have a Pro Series ll 150 portable and 600. Love them both! I will pass on some tips I have used. But remember friend, everyone had an opinion!!

1) Its really hard to ruin something! Relax and enjoy the ride.
2) Don't be afraid to experiment with pellet flavors, spices and rub. For me that's half the fun.
3) Keep your smoker clean. I vac the fire box and barrel after every cook. No problems as a result. A good habit to get in to.
4) YouTube is a great resourse.
5) Low and Slow. Time and Temperature. These are the things to remember for most things you smoke. Of course your recipe will dictate each. By opening the sear plate you get HOT FLAME! But the real purpose of your smoker is smoking......low and slow!
6) This isn't a "fast cook" machine. If you're wanting descent smoke flavor you won't get it in 15 minutes for the most part.
7) Good pellets DO NOT produce heavy, thick smoke throughout the entire cook. Only at the start or when anger reloads fire box. If heavy smoke is your desire try a pellet tube. I don't use one as I'm okay with the flavor produced.

Like I said friend, everyone has their own opinions, some good, some bad. Find your own niche as you enjoy your journey.
Before I bought my pillow smoker I did many many hours of research. I have a really nice wood burner that I made myself and it gets premium smoke taste. Everybody talks about how good a Pellet smoker is but who knows what that really means. You're one of the first to actually come out and say that it is light on the smoke flavor. When I cook with mine that was the first thing I noticed light smoke flavor. But my wood mix was also mild. Something like cherry wood applewood and hickory. I think I'm going to try some mesquite to really put it to an honest test. I have the pit Boss 1150 pro series 2 and I have to say it cooks really good! It also is very very easy to use. I also noticed that I don't use a water pan and my meat is super moist! It held temperature awesomely! That is one thing I really like about it I set the temperature on smoke to start out with for a few hours and then move it up to 250. Once my meat is on then I go in and take a nap. As long as I have pellets it's going to run just fine. Actually the taste of the meat was very good. It is a different texture than cooking on my wood burner but it's still good I just have to get used to the difference in cooking. The texture of the meat is different. Not necessarily any bad way though.

Hey all, what is the name of the paper that you wrap meat with for Stalls, and to rest it?

Latest Discussions

Back