Noisy auger

Took it apart today. Turns out it's not the auger, it's the fan in line with the auger. Not sure but is this to cool the auger motor? The auger doesn't turn that fast for cooling does it? Anyway, it's rubbing up against a connector on the circuit board. The shaft is held by a hex screw with a nut, through the shaft. It's not a tight fit. There's a 1/4" difference in diameter beween the insert shaft and the outside shaft. No matter how tight I tightened the nut and screw, the shaft is still loose. Is this setup supposed to pivot in some way?
Strangely it does not show this fan in the parts schematic.
View attachment 1777
That fan is actually what forces air into the firepot for that cyclone type of burn that you hear. It doesnt turn at the same rate as the auger.

That fan is actually what forces air into the firepot for that cyclone type of burn that you hear. It doesnt turn at the same rate as the auger.
Now I'm confused. There's two fans, one that blows air upward (closer to firepot) and the other at the drive side of the auger. What does each fan do? I thought the one closer to the firepot was the one creating the vortex once the pellets are lit.

I realize that that fan does not turn at the same rate as I was looking at it while the auger was turning but it does start and run whenever the auger is turning.

Now I'm confused. There's two fans, one that blows air upward (closer to firepot) and the other at the drive side of the auger. What does each fan do? I thought the one closer to the firepot was the one creating the vortex once the pellets are lit.
I'm sorry. I gave you wrong info. I didn't see your pics. The fan you replaced is actually part of the auger drive motor. The other is the induction / combustion fan.

I'm sorry. I gave you wrong info. I didn't see your pics. The fan you replaced is actually part of the auger drive motor. The other is the induction / combustion fan.
Thank you. I haven’t replaced any fan yet till I can figure out why it’s rubbing against the connecter on the circuit board.

Mine has a really loud buzz to the point that you can’t have a conversation. I’m going to press them for a fix. That and the door on the v4 vertical door doesn’t close properly.

Took it apart today. Turns out it's not the auger, it's the fan in line with the auger. Not sure but is this to cool the auger motor? The auger doesn't turn that fast for cooling does it? Anyway, it's rubbing up against a connector on the circuit board. The shaft is held by a hex screw with a nut, through the shaft. It's not a tight fit. There's a 1/4" difference in diameter beween the insert shaft and the outside shaft. No matter how tight I tightened the nut and screw, the shaft is still loose. Is this setup supposed to pivot in some way?
View attachment 1777
I took mine apart too -- the fan was rubbing against the back of the enclosure. it's a significant safety issue IMO.

And I think this is what was happening to mine also. I found that the motor shaft and the auger shaft is too loose. I cut about an inch of 1/4 copper tubing, drilled a hole the same size that the bolt goes through, and inserted onto the motor shaft then inside the auger shaft, I guess you could call it a bushing of sort. Anyway, the fan does not rub against anything anymore. I guess that fan is to ensure proper combustion when the auger is feeding.
Had other issues too (I did buy this used so.....). the auger wouldn't stop turning no matter where the set point was. I cleaned the temperature probe with some brake cleaner and brushed it with an old tooth brush. Also changed out two wire connectors coming from the temp probe ( under the metal cover on the back side), the connectors were not in good shape, looked like there was a few strands of wire missing. ANYWAY, the grill is running very good since the mods, keeping the temp very close to set point. Sorry for long rant, just wanted to touch base on what I did.

Oh yeah, smoked some chicken leg quarters and some walleye today, yummy. My buddy came over for a beer and said, hey, surf and turf. The poor man's surf and turf lol

Last edited:
View attachment 1777
The auger turns at 1.5 rpm, but that little motor turns fast. It needs fresh air so smoker temps don't build up. My GMG has a fan the pressurizes the pellet tub so heat doesn't convect back through the pellet feed assembly. It also has a burn pot fan that the controller controls as to how fast it supplies air to the fire. Sometimes it goes into a huffing and puffing mode.

Latest Discussions

Back