no smoke...

LILjon

Reaction score
I am new to Pit Boss but I own two GMG Jim Bowies at my place up north, I find my Lockhart platinum to be great at steady good easy to control heat. My problem lies in that I can't seem to create that good clean smoke that I can with my GMG, it seem this thing burns to clean and to efficient. Do any of you have any tips? I have tried the cabinet vents and many variations of things like reducing even down to one stack to try and reduces the amount of up draft

I had a GMG prior to Pit Boss and it does provide a bit more smoke than the Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 I have now. This is due to the controller that GMG uses on which the software is different along with the Algorithm that is programmed into the controller.

I have been trying for the life of me to track down the Lockhart PID controller information seem to hit a brickwall as PB is not willing to provide it as well. Maybe some Lockhart users can assist you on this, but most PB owner use smoke tubes to enhance the smoking experience.

I had a GMG prior to Pit Boss and it does provide a bit more smoke than the Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 I have now. This is due to the controller that GMG uses on which the software is different along with the Algorithm that is programmed into the controller.

I have been trying for the life of me to track down the Lockhart PID controller information seem to hit a brickwall as PB is not willing to provide it as well. Maybe some Lockhart users can assist you on this, but most PB owner use smoke tubes to enhance the smoking experience.
Thanks for that, kind of seems not quiet right to have to use a smoke tube in a smoker... but that is actually what Pit Boss told me also

Please let me know if you make any headway on this issue

Please let me know if you make any headway on this issue

TBH Pellet grills are not really smokers...seriously they are not. It is a wood burning convection oven with a feature that mimics a smoker by using a electronic controller to burn pellets on a pause algorithm. In all fairness some PID controllers are actually worse than Non-PID controller because PID controllers will keep temps +5/-5 degrees which does not mimic a smoker unless they have a feature built in.

Some PID controllers like SmokeDaddy and Savannah Stoker has features built in to allow you to do Smoke. GrillaGrillz Pellet grills combined there controller to a PID/Non-PID controller. I have a Pit Boss and a Yoder which the Yoder does have a PID controller and does have a smoke settings, but it does produce a slightly more smoke and I mean slightly. If you want a real smoker a stick burner is the way to go.

Back