NO SMOKE....

Markbassman

Reaction score
So just bought a Austin XL 1000.. Put together today, did all the steps for start up.. Everything was fine but no smoke.. Temp climbed up to 375 in " SMOKE " mode... Anybody have this problem ????

First thing I would check the wiring from the Auger motor and Fan to the control board and make sure they are not crossed. It seems that this issue has been showing recently with these grills out of the factory. Look at the wiring diagram in the manual and you will see the wire to auger to the control board and the fan wire to the control board and make sure they are connected properly.

It smoke's for like 5 minutes like a champ then temp shoots up over 375... Fan, fire box and auger seems to be doing what it should but ???????

Mine smokes on and off all the time.
When I go outside to check on my BBQ Ribs there would be NO smoke at times and after a few mins Smoke comes out of the outside vent.
Smoke is not always there when cooking......................JT

It smoke's for like 5 minutes like a champ then temp shoots up over 375... Fan, fire box and auger seems to be doing what it should but ???????

in smoke mode you will get smoke then you will not get smoke that is normal. What is not normal is your temp hitting 375 which tells me two things might be going on:

1. Auger is continue to feed due to bad controller
2. You have a bad RTD probe.

The temp should never get to 375 so something causing it to add too many pellets into the firepot so I would call Pit Boss and open a case so they can send you out replacement parts.

After about two years I had a similar circumstance. I set it at smoke and the temperature took off. It was like a runaway reactor. I'd get to 500º pretty quickly.

I looked in the manual and read that it was a bad RTD. The, I had to figure out what in h##l an RTD was. Turns out it a temperature probe. RTD -> temperature probe. Yeah, completely intuitive.

I ordered and replaced the temperature probe. It was actually a pretty straightforward task. Works fine now. But new out of the box? Like you have? After I came down off the ceiling, I'd be looking for a different brand.

Best wishes. I hope you've been able to work this out.

DaveXDm9 also tells you you probably have a bad RTD. Fine, if you're a Pit Boss staff member. But it could be meaningless to someone who isn't. What's wrong with using words. Words mean things.

Latest Discussions

Back